Caribbean Princess - surely someone has something positive to say!

Jo and Rob

We sail Caribbean Princess in August and have been reading member reviews of the ship. Oh my word! People are not happy. :eek:

It can't really be all bad can it? Please, please can I have some positive information?

Read the link RickEK has given you all the way through. You will see that the OP, Supt, and a number of other people on the latest CB Med cruise, including myself, have made plenty of positive comments.

Incidentally, once I have booked a cruise, I never read comments/reviews till I've come back. I don't want to go on a cruise with a negative mindset and, whether it's coincidence or not, I've never been on a cruise that overall I haven't enjoyed.

Read the link RickEK has given you all the way through. You will see that the OP, Supt, and a number of other people on the latest CB Med cruise, including myself, have made plenty of positive comments.

Incidentally, once I have booked a cruise, I never read comments/reviews till I've come back. I don't want to go on a cruise with a negative mindset and, whether it's coincidence or not, I've never been on a cruise that overall I haven't enjoyed.

It was post 21 from this thread that caused me to start this one!

"Entertainment was desperate... cruise director was dire.... notable feeling of overcrowding... rubbish three piece band... we found ourselves frequently bored and the overcrowded areas gave the feeling of nowhere to go....Apologies if this seems to have developed into an extended rant but this is honestly as found."

I was hoping for some positives rather than a link to the thread that got me reading other reviews as I was so worried!!

Most reviews posted in that particular section are, for the most part, and for all ships, mostly negative...

Read the reviews that are posted in the Princess forum. They are more balanced, although some reviews, not so much.

Don't worry about these reviews. I've found that many people don't do enough research before sailing and have unrealistic expectations and get really mad as a result. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Excellent advice! What might be a negative for one person might not be for another. We all have different points of view and to let one person's negative review affect our choices negatively, we might just miss out on a great vacation. :) i enjoyed my cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

I've found that, reading these boards, for every person who hated their cruise there are 50 who loved it. Negative people post because they are upset. Happy people tend not to post just to say they are happy. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Good reviews are overrated and cause expectations to soar. I have a different take on them...go expecting the worst and you are certain to be pleasantly surprised. We once cruised on the Maasdam and it was not a new ship even then. Reviews warned of overheated cabins and non-working toilets but we decided to give it a try anyways, as we had never been on a ship that small nor several of the ports. Well, except for the fire that displaced us from our cabin for part of a day and the poor production shows (neither issue had been discussed in the reviews we'd read), we had a wonderful time.

Frankly, the Caribbean Princess was not our favorite Princess ship, but we still had a fantastic cruise. We also loved the Grand Princess that is so often dissed on this board. It doesn't matter to me if 100 people dislike a ship or cruise; if I like it that's really all that matters to my cruise experience.

We liked it so much we have been on her 4 times and would go back in a heartbeat! As the Wizard of Oz might say, pay no attention to the man behind the keyboard! Have a great cruise!

I was on the Caribbean Princess last fall for 12 days and I cannot think of one negative thing to say about. Loved the ship; the crew; my cabin; steward was great; Food was good; well I do have one negative - I had to get off.

We did a transatlantic on the Caribbean Princess two summers ago and had a great time. The reviews you are reading about the entertainment are really about the cruise director on that particular sailing. A good CD will make all the difference in the quality of the entertainment and the activities. Since CDs move around, it is unlikely you will have the same one in August.

I've sailed the CB 11 times!!! She always feels like home.....She's old, but she's no Battle Axe:)

If you're looking for New, she's not the one. But if you're looking for a great crew and good service.....sail the CB with no worries.

"Entertainment was desperate... cruise director was dire.... notable feeling of overcrowding... rubbish three piece band... we found ourselves frequently bored and the overcrowded areas gave the feeling of nowhere to go....Apologies if this seems to have developed into an extended rant but this is honestly as found."

I was hoping for some positives rather than a link to the thread that got me reading other reviews as I was so worried!!

See, the thing about the quotation you highlighted is that it's all just one person's perspective and you have no idea if you and that person share similar outlooks. To me, the most telling thing that would militate against my taking this person's opinion to heart is that they were frequently bored. I cannot imagine ever being bored (unless someone had thrown my Kindle overboard and there was no other printed matter anywhere on the ship, all the pools and gym were closed, and there were no other passengers with whom to chat over cocktails).

My favourite cruise ever had a dire cruise director and one of the bands was, well, maybe not rubbish but certainly not good. Yet I wouldn't change one thing about that cruise because it was so fantastic. And it wasn't on the newest ship or the biggest ship or even a particularly exotic itinerary.

Calm your fears and don't go looking for ways to freak yourself out. 'Cause believe me, you can always find something freak-inducing out there!

Our first Princess cruise was a repo on the CB (Hello Roland!!!) and it was a great time, despite the SNOW on departure day from NYC that caused us to miss our stop in Puerto Rico. We sailed on Princess 3 more times after that, and definitely will again...

People who gripe about ships don't really see the big picture and enjoy the experience of 'escaping completely' and 'coming back new'. :p No, they notice the carpet had some some spots and the wallpaper was outdated....

:D

We sail Caribbean Princess in August and have been reading member reviews of the ship. Oh my word! People are not happy. :eek:

It can't really be all bad can it? Please, please can I have some positive information?

Something positive to say.....I would positively sail her again. Great crew, people friendly captain, good food, excellent service, nice entertainment, active CD staff, plenty of pools, walkable promenade deck, and a flooded cabin that got new carpet, drapes, curtains and bedspread. Fourteen fun days on the Caribbean. Depending on the itinerary I would sail her again...hoping not to repeat the flooded cabin.

Take the negative comments with a grain of salt otherwise you will sabotage your own cruise. You are reading way too much onto it and overthinking the entire thing.

We have done 5 cruises on the Caribbean Princess this year and enjoyed them all. Did not find anything to complain about.

We did a cruise on the Caribbean Princess last year & had a great time. Nothing wrong that we remember.

Why book a ship that has bad reviews and then look for someone to say something positive???????

My friend sailed on the Caribbean Princess this passed Spring and she just booked another (21days) cruise on Caribbean for next year! I was asking her the same questions and she said it was fine and I'm sure she wouldn't have booked again if it wasn't. ;)

Edited by suzyed

Sailed on her in late Jan. of this year.

Perfect....nope. Brand new....nope. Spotless....almost, but not quite. Did any of the above detract from our vacation...no.

Had a great time, wonderful ship, crew and MDR food. Buffet food was also very good. Room was always clean and we'll attended.

We never went to any shows (it was our honeymoon after all) so can't offer an opinion.

Relax and have a great time!

Edited by schlot