• Ultimate
    • Premium
    • Select
    • Replenish
    • Refresh
    • à la carte
    • I don' buy one

Complete waste of money.

Our normal every day drinks at home are iced tea and lemonade (we don't even have sodas in the fridge).

We aren't huge drinkers. Since we aren't ones that are interested in a lot of the surchage items (bingo, spa services, fitness classes, etc), and we are diamond members, the coupons and obc, are good enough.

Edited by hazeleyez3

BND seemed to sum it up well...it appears that for the majority of folks (notice I didn't say all), purchasing a package, especially for alcohol drinkers, do so for the ease of mind. They'd rather pay for it up front to avoid seeing the *actual* bill at the end. For those who are more budget-conscious, the packages for alcohol drinkers just doesn't seem worth it. Doing the math, it's tough to hit the 5-6 drink per day mark, especially when you factor in days in port (where you'll have less time to "make up" for it).

I've been tempted to get one before for the reasons shared already of trying drinks I'd typically never get. But I know myself, and I know that once I find what I like, I don't waste time with what I know I don't. So in that case, it appears it'd only be worth it for like 2 days until I find what I like. Plus, there are SO many opportunities to get free champagne (Captain's welcome, Meet 'n Mingles, etc.) that it makes it even tougher to justify.

There is nothing wrong at all with getting a package for peace of mind...no judgment here. For those who have it actually work out in their favor, I am in awe of your alcohol tolerance level...yowzah! But when it comes to my personal bottom line, I know at the end of the cruise, I'll see a number less than what I would've paid for the packages.

Edited by panthers_4890

I will be buying the premium package for my next cruise - a 12 day cruise with 4 sea days. I imagine I will break even, because I will drink lots of $12 glasses of wine at dinner (I like a different wine with each course) and lots of non-alcoholic drinks at the pool. Also 2 cocktails in the evening.

For those thinking "wowzah" etc - I drink like this on holiday. At home I have an average of 2 units a week, and don't have anything with that much sugar in. Then for 1-2 weeks, once every 1-2 years, I have fun. I have a bizzarely high alcohol tolerance despite my limited drinking and find this level relaxes me but doesn't result in anything else.

For those thinking expensive - yeah. So's a cruise. I don't buy a cruise to have the most cost efficient fortnight possible. I buy it to have the most enjoyable fortnight possible. Also, limiting where I go for hours on end just to grab free champagne seems like a bigger cost in the end.

Is there happy hour on the ship??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes different ships may differ but I read fizzlewicks review of his recent sailing on the liberty and in his compas I did see on several days 2-4 pm happy hour at all bars it was 20% off except beer wind and DOD. There are bar specials each evening different at different venues. I did see one day $5.95 mimosas , screwdrivers and ?? Durning morning hours one day another it was bloody Mary's. Hope this helps[emoji267]

Yes different ships may differ but I read fizzlewicks review of his recent sailing on the liberty and in his compas I did see on several days 2-4 pm happy hour at all bars it was 20% off except beer wind and DOD. There are bar specials each evening different at different venues. I did see one day $5.95 mimosas , screwdrivers and ?? Durning morning hours one day another it was bloody Mary's. Hope this helps[emoji267]

Also I believe this deal is not honored in the WJ,MDR,or speciality restaurants. Just an FYI[emoji485][emoji484][emoji483]

Ultimate package for both of us. We like the option to have pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want. last cruise my wife got the Select and she liked a wine that cost 2.00 more every time she ordered a drink, then she wanted a Grey goose later in the evening. Just easier for us to just do the Ultimate and be done with it.

I think we have decided to bite the bullet and get the premium package for both of us on our next cruise. I enjoy frozen cocktails in the heat of the day and we both enjoy wine with dinner and after dinner. I am particularly interested in the 2 ounce sample pours of expensive wines at Vintages. I hope they are still doing this! We have 3 sea days, plus Labadee, in addition to the first day to get our money's worth. We are also soda drinkers. [emoji3] My question is, should we buy now or wait till we're on the ship?

We enjoy cruising more than we like drinking. We take the cost of the drink package and apply it to a future cruise. It amounts to buy two cruises, get one free. If it's a 1-2-3 promo, we take the prepaid gratuities which saves us about another $180 for a week.

We are not heavy drinkers, but on vacation, we do let go a bit [emoji41]. Our bar tab tends to run in the 600 - 800 range depending on the number of days. Out last 2 cruises were with groups, so we did drink packages, in order to keep a handle on costs. Both times we got off the ship feeling we drank more because we were obligated to break even. We are about to take a 4 day get away, and after talking it over, still feel that the drink package is a good option for us. We tend to have 2-3 drinks during the course of the day, plus 2-3 glasses of wine for dinner. Add a few sodas, a specialty coffee or two, and bottled water, and for us, the ultimate plan seems to be the way to go.

Edited by lnuzzo

I don't understand why people need to defend their drinking habits if they are buying the package. I don;t see people defending their soda drinking

If you reread the title of the post, the poster asked "WHY" you choose the drink package or not. If you choose not to answer the question that's up to you. Don't flame the people who have the belief in their convictions to answer the question. The only people they have to defend their position is to the person that is paying for it, that would probably be themselves. If they're happy with their choice, everybody elses opinion doesn't mean squat.

If you reread the title of the post, the poster asked "WHY" you choose the drink package or not. If you choose not to answer the question that's up to you. Don't flame the people who have the belief in their convictions to answer the question. The only people they have to defend their position is to the person that is paying for it, that would probably be themselves. If they're happy with their choice, everybody elses opinion doesn't mean squat.

I am not flaming anyone. Just making an observation that is all

I bought the Ultimate package, because my goal for vacation is to turn my brain off. I work hard, I'm tired, and when I go on vacation I don't want to think about what my martini, or coffee, or sparkling water, or whatever costs. It's paid for, and whatever happens, happens.

I just ordered the soda package, I don't drink alcohol or coffee etc.

I paid $100.80 (AUD) for the package (10 day cruise) don't know whether it will be worth it or not, but I'm sure it will cos it works out to be $10.08 a day, which would be around 2-3 drinks I'm sure.

I chose to get it that way it's one less expense when the cruise is over, and I've pre paid my drinks so won't have to worry about spending any other money on drinks

I bought the Ultimate package, because my goal for vacation is to turn my brain off. I work hard, I'm tired, and when I go on vacation I don't want to think about what my martini, or coffee, or sparkling water, or whatever costs. It's paid for, and whatever happens, happens.

+1 on this. :)

The first time we did a package (on NCL) we were on a family cruise with 13 other ppl, and most were drinkers. Hubby and I opted to sign up so we did not have to worry if we were hanging in the lounge with the group. we definitely ended up on the right side that week.

Our last cruise, we were with another couple, and my Hubby and his buddy will start drinking beer at 10 or 11 AM. Add a stop to the wine bar before dinner, and again, a no brainer when we factored in 3-4 bottles of water and a couple of specialty coffees for the ladies every day.

So looking at our upcoming cruise, we had pretty much decided on some package, but here was our thought process..... The Beer and Wine package seemed like an option, just purchasing the occasional mojito ala carte, but the cut off on the wine was $8 a glass, and I like good wines, so that pretty much ruled out that package. That left us with the premium or ultimate. Based on what I see online, the biggest difference for us is specialty coffee, as we don't generally drink juice. Looking at an old (2+ year) posting of the coffee menu board from latte tudes (sp?) a medium latte is almost $5. I drink starbucks, so that doesn't shock me cost wise. So the $6 difference between the premium and ultimate packages will cover my one latte a day habit. :D

I don't buy one. I don't drink soda. I bring a water-bottle and fill with the filtered water that comes out of the tap on board, so I don't buy bottled water. I drink regular, not specialty coffee. I do buy wine and cocktails, but not in sufficient quantity to warrant the cost of the package - particularly since I take cruises featuring port-intensive itineraries.

i generally buy the Premium package just so much easier not having to think about it and love not having the huge bill at the end of the cruise. Might look at the Ultimate for my upcoming cruise in August.

Edited by Deeliteful

I will be buying the premium package for my next cruise - a 12 day cruise with 4 sea days. I imagine I will break even, because I will drink lots of $12 glasses of wine at dinner (I like a different wine with each course) and lots of non-alcoholic drinks at the pool. Also 2 cocktails in the evening.

For those thinking "wowzah" etc - I drink like this on holiday. At home I have an average of 2 units a week, and don't have anything with that much sugar in. Then for 1-2 weeks, once every 1-2 years, I have fun. I have a bizzarely high alcohol tolerance despite my limited drinking and find this level relaxes me but doesn't result in anything else.

For those thinking expensive - yeah. So's a cruise. I don't buy a cruise to have the most cost efficient fortnight possible. I buy it to have the most enjoyable fortnight possible. Also, limiting where I go for hours on end just to grab free champagne seems like a bigger cost in the end.

Like I said, I'm in awe! To have that kind of tolerance for 1-2 weeks every other year leaves me in awe.

And personally speaking, it is for the very reason that cruises are expensive that I try not to make it more-so. And grabbing 2 glasses of champagne on the way through the Promenade to dinner during Captains welcome is hardly an "hours on end" excursion lol.

Again, no judgment here. I don't care whatsoever how people spend their own money on a cruise.