1. 1. Do you buy a drink package?

• Ultimate
    • Premium
    • Select
    • Replenish
    • Refresh
    • à la carte
    • I don' buy one

I wonder if I should buy the ultimate pkg now and get the free cup for a friend or wait until I get on board. I do have some obc to use toward the pkg but I also need to buy the soda pkg for my daughter. If I buy the ultimate now she can use the extra cup and in return that saves me the 40 something a week for her soda pkg or am I reading this deal wrong.

I don't drink alcohol,coffee and sofas only if I go to a party. I drink lots of water in land but I always carry 2 gallons of water onboard that will be enough for the week. I really like the freshly squeezed OJ onboard but not everyday so getting a package is not a deal. Also by the time I decided on paying or not just for a cup of OJ I realized that the one they serve taste good and I'm done with breakfast. The only time I pay for a drink is for a virgin piña colada but last cruise I never had one

I just priced all the beverage packages...here is what I found:

Royal refreshment pkg-$6.50 per person per day(basically soda and flavored water includes fountain soda cup)

Royal replenish-$22.42 per person per day(includes royal refreshment pkg and adds coffees, teas, bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, non alcoholic cocktails)

Select package-$41.30 per person per day(includes royal replenish and adds beer, wine and alcohol)

Premium package-$57.82 per person per day( includes select package and adds premium alcohols)

Ultimate package-$64.90 per person per day(includes premium and royal replenish packages and an addional soda cup to give to a friend....also if available bottle of champagne)

I think you also pay 18% gratuities on the total amount when purchased.

Is this across the board? E.g a 10 day Australian cruise with intensive ports for the ultimate drink package costing $AUSD84 per day?

I just priced all the beverage packages...here is what I found:

Royal refreshment pkg-$6.50 per person per day(basically soda and flavored water includes fountain soda cup)

Royal replenish-$22.42 per person per day(includes royal refreshment pkg and adds coffees, teas, bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, non alcoholic cocktails)

Select package-$41.30 per person per day(includes royal replenish and adds beer, wine and alcohol)

Premium package-$57.82 per person per day( includes select package and adds premium alcohols)

Ultimate package-$64.90 per person per day(includes premium and royal replenish packages and an addional soda cup to give to a friend....also if available bottle of champagne)

I think you also pay 18% gratuities on the total amount when purchased.

I'm pretty sure those prices include the gratuity. Certainly the premium package which is $49 +18% $8.82 = $57.82

I'm pretty sure those prices include the gratuity. Certainly the premium package which is $49 +18% $8.82 = $57.82

Yes...most definitely. Whether purchased online ahead of time or onboard, the 18% gratuity is added to the advertised/posted package price automatically at checkout.

...Select package-$41.30 per person per day(includes royal replenish and adds beer, wine and alcohol)...

The Select and Premium packages do not include the Replenish package.

Premium for us. We don't drink specialty coffees and don't care about fresh squeezed juice. This will be our first drink package but at those costs we will break even after day 3 of a 7 day cruise. We seriously considered an all inclusive this trip so this is as close to it as we can get.

We're getting the Replenish.

The reason for that is that we hardly drink alcohol, but drink a lot of OJ, water and soda, and DH likes his speciality coffees.

Don't know if we'll break even, but it just feels good to have it paid and only have to pay if we want a glass of wine for dinner. Also I have no problem getting a bunch of drinks as virgin, as I don't drink them for the alcohol.

None because it's cheaper to buy as we go. We are not big drinkers and we don't need bottled water as the ships' water is perfectly fine. If we want water for an excursion, we buy one ashore where it's much cheaper. DH and I might have one drink during the day and then maybe 1-2 more in the D lounge. We then carry a glass of wine into dinner if we want one. But, even before we were D, we didn't drink enough to justify the current packages. We usually drink a cup of "Starbucks" everyday also. We don't drink at breakfast or lunch either. The most the two of us have ever spent on a cruise averages out to less than $40/day for the both of us. Our largest bar bill was on a 12 night and I think it might have been $250 and that included buying bottles of wine at dinner. It was before we were D. We're D+ now so it's been about 3 years that we've been going to the lounge in the evenings.

We also quit drinking soda several years ago. I have maybe 4-5 sodas a year and DH probably has 3-4 a month, but on a cruise, we just don't. Last time I had a soda on a cruise was in March 2014 when we had 30 foot waves and I had a ginger ale because I felt bad.

Edited by BND

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not so apologies if it has. If you aren't on US$ do you get a better exchange rate buying the drinks package prior or leaving it until you get on the cruise ? Thanks

Traveling with my DH and two teen boys on the Jewel for the southern Caribbean Port intensive cruise. All of us are first time cruisers. RC currently has this special running

:For a limited time only, join us in celebrating summertime with Coca Cola. When you buy an Ultimate Beverage Package, you will receive a complimentary Royal Refreshment package and an additional Coca Cola souvenir cup to share with a friend. * Guests will also receive a complimentary bottle of limited edition American Summer Domaine Chandon.

My DH is primarily a beer drinker but would likely do the Shot of the Day that I read about as well as the occasional Painkiller type of drink. I am more of a cocktail drinker. We ALL drink a TON of water.

So, I thought FINE. I will do this special and I think it sounds convenient. But it is very pricey and reading through these responses, maybe I am just being too lazy and need to rethink.

What is the Coca Cola cup? So they have to carry this cup around everywhere they go? I will have to mount it to them or they will surely lose it. :eek: I guess I don't understand the drink thing as it will relate to my teenagers. They aren't big soda drinkers but might be during the cruise. I don't know. My younger teen likes his Shirley Temples.

What are the premium coffees? None of us will drink alcohol in the mornings. We will be leaving the ship every day except one. We like to drink but to me, it seems like we aren't on the ship all that much on this cruise.... I'm confused. (clearly) :confused:

I get the premium or ultimate.

I usually drink the "value" of my total package on the first day, so the rest of the cruise is free(I have only done 4 day cruises so far).

If it wasn't for the drink packages, I would never had cruises as they couldn't compete with AI's!

No, only one beer at a time.

So Bob, even with the Premium Package the beer has to be ordered individually huh? I didn't know that. Guess that a bucket of bottled beer has to be paid for "a la carte"...:confused:

So Bob, even with the Premium Package the beer has to be ordered individually huh? I didn't know that. Guess that a bucket of bottled beer has to be paid for "a la carte"...:confused:

Correct, they will only give you one beer at a time, no matter what package you have.

Does anyone know when the drinks package actually ends? Is it 12 midnight on the last night or can you continue using it into the early hours of, what in effect would be, the 8th day?

People have reported being able to get specialty coffee and a bloody mary at breakfast on the last day.

Traveling with my DH and two teen boys on the Jewel for the southern Caribbean Port intensive cruise. All of us are first time cruisers. RC currently has this special running

:For a limited time only, join us in celebrating summertime with Coca Cola. When you buy an Ultimate Beverage Package, you will receive a complimentary Royal Refreshment package and an additional Coca Cola souvenir cup to share with a friend. * Guests will also receive a complimentary bottle of limited edition American Summer Domaine Chandon.

My DH is primarily a beer drinker but would likely do the Shot of the Day that I read about as well as the occasional Painkiller type of drink. I am more of a cocktail drinker. We ALL drink a TON of water.

So, I thought FINE. I will do this special and I think it sounds convenient. But it is very pricey and reading through these responses, maybe I am just being too lazy and need to rethink.

What is the Coca Cola cup? So they have to carry this cup around everywhere they go? I will have to mount it to them or they will surely lose it. :eek: I guess I don't understand the drink thing as it will relate to my teenagers. They aren't big soda drinkers but might be during the cruise. I don't know. My younger teen likes his Shirley Temples.

What are the premium coffees? None of us will drink alcohol in the mornings. We will be leaving the ship every day except one. We like to drink but to me, it seems like we aren't on the ship all that much on this cruise.... I'm confused. (clearly) :confused:

The Southern Caribbean on one of the Radiance Class ships is one of our favorites. Especially like the outdoor seating area at the Windjammer for breakfasts.

If it were me, I would not get the package on a port intensive trip. You will be off the ship for excursions, and any drinks are much cheaper on shore. Some ports, you may actually get beers for $1 or $2.

We never bought a soda package, but my SIL did, and I remember her lugging her cup everywhere. I am sure she got her money's worth, because she drinks the stuff by the gallon.

Even with the Select package, a beer drinker would need to average 6+ beers per day to make that package pay.

I have never had a problem with the water on the ship. In fact, it is probably better than some of the bottled water. If you want bottled water, you could bring some onboard, or just pick some up ashore.

Does anyone know when the drinks package actually ends? Is it 12 midnight on the last night or can you continue using it into the early hours of, what in effect would be, the 8th day?

No problem getting drinks after midnight with the package..I can vouch for at least till 3am at the bars that are open the last nite...:D

Edited by monctonguy

Water package, if anything. I can't drink ship's water because it causes me to swell. DH, too, if he drinks ship water.

To stop the argument in its tracks...we're still eating the food on the ship. It's NOT the food. There's something about the "desalinated" or created water that messes up our systems.

I like Evian. I like spring water. (I don't buy filtered municipal water) So I'll buy the Evian package for me and DS (water packages you can share).

I've bought Replenish for myself before but it's not worth it for me.

I buy drinks out of pocket. I'm the only one that drinks alcohol in my family.

My DH and I aren't big drinkers but really enjoy the Replenish Package. If we decide we want alcoholic beverage we can either order a shot and pour it in or pay for it.

Between the Latte, Fresh OJ, Bottled Water (the size they give you I can easily drink 8 of those a day) and the Virgin Cocktails its real worth the value for us...

DH loves Replenish, too.

I like what you get, but I'm forcing myself to get two lattes a day, etc, to try to get it even money. I can't really do it, especially since the fresh squeezed OJ is not what I want every day and is too much for me to happily drink.

We haven't been on RC for five years and it used to be everyone in the cabin had to get the same package. When did this change? I might have to rethink things.

Changed just in time for our January 2014 cruise. November '13, I think.

Someone mentioned the bottled water and landfills...if there's one place (other than Disney or my home LOL) where you know the bottles are being recycled and not put in landfills, it's on a ship.

Please correct me if I am wrong. You can get beers not to far apart time wise, and they do not need to be opened when they serve you? Correct?

They will almost always open the beer before they give it to you. A bartender told me that's to keep people from hoarding them in their cabin or taking them into port.