Make-a-wish possibly being dropped as RCI's Charity???

User John S. (siggy) is currently sailing on Grandeur. On that cruise, during the Morning Show, the Cruise Director Mitch Merucci said that RCI would be changing their charity in the future, from MAW to something focused on the environment, and will drop their partnership with MAW. John questioned the CD at the Walk for Wishes, and the CD said he didn't know the date or the charity yet, but it would happen sometime after September.

MAW is near and dear to my heart, having a grandchild who received her wish, and knowing other kids who received their wish from Make-a-wish. I would hate to see MAW dropped, and I cannot imagine cruisers supporting an environmental issue the way people do for MAW. Granted, on some sailings, if it is their charity, they need to publicize it better, as it is mentioned multiple times on some cruises, and just a line in the compass on other days.

Your thoughts on this?

Edited by internetwhiz

Environmental causes are as important to some people as MAW is to you. I work with many children who have benefited from MAW and I love the charity. Even if RCI changes the charity they support you are free to donate individually.

I, too, hope they keep Make-a-Wish. We also have a long history- but of support and not need- outside of sailing. In our observations- it's a great, great thing.

My question- why not support both MaW and an environmental thing?

(and if they go the environmental route, IMHO, they have a lot to do to become environmental. A LOT).

If you are looking for support from passengers- even more a reason to do both. Cruising is still a dream vacation- so it's a MaW option, without a doubt.

We will mention it on our next few cruises.

Environmental causes are as important to some people as MAW is to you. I work with many children who have benefited from MAW and I love the charity. Even if RCI changes the charity they support you are free to donate individually.

Yes, absolutely and of course you are right. Can't help feeling a little sad about it, though.

User John S. (siggy) is currently sailing on Grandeur. On that cruise, during the Morning Show, the Cruise Director Mitch Merucci said that RCI would be changing their charity in the future, from MAW to something focused on the environment, and will drop their partnership with MAW. John questioned the CD at the Walk for Wishes, and the CD said he didn't know the date or the charity yet, but it would happen sometime after September.

MAW is near and dear to my heart, having a grandchild who received her wish, and knowing other kids who received their wish from Make-a-wish. I would hate to see MAW dropped, and I cannot imagine cruisers supporting an environmental issue the way people do for MAW. Granted, on some sailings, if it is their charity, they need to publicize it better, as it is mentioned multiple times on some cruises, and just a line in the compass on other days.

Your thoughts on this?

Very sad to hear. I had suspected they were dropping it (or had already dropped it). Unless Mr Ski and I (and a few other folks we talked about it with) missed it, they had already discontinued the walk on JW back in April/May. Very worthwhile charity. Definitely not as enthusiastic about "environmental charity" but will make "support" or "no support" decision when knowing what the actual new charity will be.

Royal is making a mistake. They should do both charities or keep Make A Wish. I don't know if the person who decided to drop Make a Wish has ever had the opportunity to see a Make A Wish family they host.

But when Walt Disney World first started hosting Make A Wish I had the honor of one of the families to come to Alfredo's at Epcot way back when. Of course I made sure they had the best table with the best waiter and I personally made sure their experience was perfect. It was a young mother and father with a little girl no more than 2 or 3 years old. She was playing with the straw in her soda glass. The parents watched her with such intent, focus and love as she picked up that straw played with it put it back in the soda over and over. I personally was so overcome with emotion watching the this whole thing I was brought to tears. Those parents were so attentive to her every move. I couldn't help but think was this the last time they will be able to enjoy this moment. Would that day or the next day be their last day with their baby? It was heart wrenching but something I will never forget my whole life.

I have to stop and think did the person at Royal who made this decision to drop Make A Wish, did they ever see what I saw. Or did they see the look on the child's face when she first saw Fiona or played in the pool or had a crew member do something special to make her smile. Did they see the loving look on the parent's face seeing their child happy and not in pain. Making a child's last wish come true is priceless. I really am heartbroken at Royal's decision not to support Make A Wish.

If anyone knows who made this decision let me know. I would like to personally send them this letter.

Personally, I haven't been a big fan of the charity drive bit on the cruise myself. Honestly, I give to a LOT of charities at home. When I'm on vacation, leave me alone.

I get that others have enjoyed it. But I also think people here arguing that they are making a mistake are dramatically overestimating the awareness most cruisers even have for this activity.

I agree with leisuretraveler. We all have causes and charities that are near and dear to our hearts, and we should support them accordingly as we choose. I don't like being hit up when on vacation, at a movie theater, etc. as I personally find it intrusive - especially if I've paid to do the recreational activity.

There is another fact to consider: charitable fraud is at an all-time high. I would encourage everyone to first check to make sure the organization they want to support is a bona fide 501c3 registered with the IRS and further check on charities activities by visiting the charitable watchdog websites, to ensure that the donations are actually going to the cause - and not for salaries or fundraising.

I am certainly not saying that MAW or any other specific charity does this - I'm just encouraging people to be responsible and check out the facts before opening the wallets.

My personal opinion is that there are many charities that need close scrutiny. Many times they are "masks" for advocacy causes. For example, maybe an "environmental" non-profit may actually be advocating for looser environmental laws - thereby making it easier for ships to dump waste.

And yes, I am a cynic.

Royal is making a mistake. They should do both charities or keep Make A Wish. I don't know if the person who decided to drop Make a Wish has ever had the opportunity to see a Make A Wish family they host.

But when Walt Disney World first started hosting Make A Wish I had the honor of one of the families to come to Alfredo's at Epcot way back when. Of course I made sure they had the best table with the best waiter and I personally made sure their experience was perfect. It was a young mother and father with a little girl no more than 2 or 3 years old. She was playing with the straw in her soda glass. The parents watched her with such intent, focus and love as she picked up that straw played with it put it back in the soda over and over. I personally was so overcome with emotion watching the this whole thing I was brought to tears. Those parents were so attentive to her every move. I couldn't help but think was this the last time they will be able to enjoy this moment. Would that day or the next day be their last day with their baby? It was heart wrenching but something I will never forget my whole life.

I have to stop and think did the person at Royal who made this decision to drop Make A Wish, did they ever see what I saw. Or did they see the look on the child's face when she first saw Fiona or played in the pool or had a crew member do something special to make her smile. Did they see the loving look on the parent's face seeing their child happy and not in pain. Making a child's last wish come true is priceless. I really am heartbroken at Royal's decision not to support Make A Wish.

If anyone knows who made this decision let me know. I would like to personally send them this letter.

Wow! Jackie, your post has literally brought tears to my eyes. I would send it exactly as written to whomever was involved in the decision making process at RCCL. Truly, it is eloquently written. It might not be the single thing that changes their plans, but it just may be the final straw that puts them over the edge towards bringing MAW back (or keeping it) if they are teetering.

Melissa

Edited by kirian

I think it is so nice that RCCL has an association with a charity.

A side note, last cruise I had a variety of coins from various cruise ports visited along the cruise ( amounted to about $15 US) and the guest services staff refused take it for MAW. They told me that they do not accept coins for any charity on board.

M

I agree with leisuretraveler. We all have causes and charities that are near and dear to our hearts, and we should support them accordingly as we choose. I don't like being hit up when on vacation, at a movie theater, etc. as I personally find it intrusive - especially if I've paid to do the recreational activity.

There is another fact to consider: charitable fraud is at an all-time high. I would encourage everyone to first check to make sure the organization they want to support is a bona fide 501c3 registered with the IRS and further check on charities activities by visiting the charitable watchdog websites, to ensure that the donations are actually going to the cause - and not for salaries or fundraising.

I am certainly not saying that MAW or any other specific charity does this - I'm just encouraging people to be responsible and check out the facts before opening the wallets.

My personal opinion is that there are many charities that need close scrutiny. Many times they are "masks" for advocacy causes. For example, maybe an "environmental" non-profit may actually be advocating for looser environmental laws - thereby making it easier for ships to dump waste.

And yes, I am a cynic.

Sadly you are correct. One thing that gets to me is at check out counters when you are asked to donate a dollar to a cause. I used to without thinking until it was pointed out to me that you should ask how much of the dollar gets to the specific cause. Since then I always ask and the answer has varied from the "entire dollar" to "Gee, I don't know".

I have charities, just as others, that are near and dear to my heart. Whatever the cause, it is always good to investigate the status of the group. Sadly, there are groups out there that do make it hard for others.

So sad to hear this... Make A Wish is one of the best charity ever.

Why take something away that is making a huge difference in somebody's life.... who in return make a bigger difference in our lives.

I think it is so nice that RCCL has an association with a charity.

A side note, last cruise I had a variety of coins from various cruise ports visited along the cruise ( amounted to about $15 US) and the guest services staff refused take it for MAW. They told me that they do not accept coins for any charity on board.

M

It is unfortunate that they didn't take the coins. Yes it would take a lot of work to sort. However, think of the hundreds if not thousansd that could be raised per ship per week in change donations.

On the same note cash donations that indiviuals make on the ship should generate a tax doantion receipt for RC when they inturn donate the funds to MAW or another charity. RC should get the tax credit from their "donation". I guess that depends on US tax donations, which I am not familiar with. Who knows, I might be wrong espically if they are Bahamian flagged? Or perhaps the doantion goes through their US Florida Office and offsets their US land based operating costs? Just a thought. I am not an auditor, and nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.;)

All cruisers who are disappointed in this decision not to have Make-A-Wish as the charity of the cruise line, should write to the Michael Bayley, the President. Take it to the top!

His email address is: mbayley@rccl.com.

No MAW walk on my last two cruises. When I asked the AD on my last cruise on Jewel....she stated that there wasn't enough interest and they didn't receive the t-shirts from corporate.

BTW....Royal had plenty of $10 t-shirts to sell.

Your thoughts on this?

Not only is it for a terrific cause my wife Marie loves doing the walks (I support her from a lounger with drink in hand :p).

But we have been seeing less support for it by the ships. Our May Jewel cruise did not have one and I think it was on our Rhapsody cruise last year they sold the tee shirts but didn't have the walk.