vx aft stateroom feedback

BJzink

We have booked a regular veranda stateroom on deck7. Thinking about upgrading to a VX aft stateroom, 7121 or 7116. I checked the "cabin thread" and there is one very positive , one very negative re. The soot from the stack. Any other feedback to help our decision. Thanks very much

We're big fans of being on the stern. Have done two trans-Atlantics that way, one Med cruise, one Bermuda cruise, and last summer's Norwegian fjords and Baltic cruises on Journey. We had no issues with soot on Journey and no disturbing noise from the Sunset Bar area even though we were on deck 8.

The aft verandas are deeper than those on the port and starboard sides, so it is easier to enjoy room service meals there. There is also much less wind as the verandas are sheltered from wind caused by ship's forward movement. There is an additional cost over other veranda staterooms, but we can justify this where the itineraries are enhanced by having views of both sides of the ship as well as direct stern views. Alaska and the fjords are two examples of this. Kiel Canal and the entrances and exits from upriver ports like Hamburg, Stockholm, Seville, Ho Chi Minh City and St. Petersburg would be others.

Edited by marinaro44

We have spent over 15 cruises on the aft of the R ships and have 75 days booked. We have never experience soot on our balcony.

Don't worry you'll love the wake views and the extended balcony.

Edited by orchestrapal

After lots of consultation and messages from CC We decided to down grade to midship balconies due to the motion of the ship.

We are travelling in 6 weeks time on the journey.

I, hopefully, will meet people who can tell me if we were over cautious.

Shame: we had 7121 for a fabulous trip from Hk to Singapore, and have booked the same again for our upcoming Singapore to Mumbai cruise. Fabulous room. Fabulous views (that we will no longer be able to get from the Sunset Bar but don't get me started on that....)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Yes and I do hope you are correct :D

but we all suffer from motion sickness and the smallest ship we have been on was the Celebrity Galaxy. We had to take seasick remedies going into Santorini in August on our first cruise some years ago.

However Azamara seems worth the risk.

5 weeks on Wednesday and I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to experiencing the Journey.

We have booked a regular veranda stateroom on deck7. Thinking about upgrading to a VX aft stateroom, 7121 or 7116. I checked the "cabin thread" and there is one very positive , one very negative re. The soot from the stack. Any other feedback to help our decision. Thanks very much

The "ayes" have it. We did upgrade to #7116 and are really looking forward to the full room service breakfasts, which are a very important part of any of our cruises. Thanks for all of your input - we sailed the "Ren-1" ship in April of 2000, excited to see if we remember anything but the staircase!

The "ayes" have it. We did upgrade to #7116 and are really looking forward to the full room service breakfasts, which are a very important part of any of our cruises. Thanks for all of your input - we sailed the "Ren-1" ship in April of 2000, excited to see if we remember anything but the staircase!

You'll love the balcony for breakfast and the incredible wake views.

We're anxious to hear everyone's thoughts about VX cabins. We've booked 7116 on the May 24, 2016 Adriatic & Greek Isles cruise, and 8093 on the February 19, 2017 Australia & New Zealand cruise.

We're anxious to hear everyone's thoughts about VX cabins. We've booked 7116 on the May 24, 2016 Adriatic & Greek Isles cruise, and 8093 on the February 19, 2017 Australia & New Zealand cruise.
I think there are plenty of "thoughts" already posted in this thread.

I'll add my two cents on the subject of ship's motion. This winter we spent 35 days on Ocean Princess, a twin of Azamara's two ships. Every morning between 5 and 6 o'clock I'd walk seven to nine laps around the perimeter hallways of deck seven for exercise, so I have a pretty good feel for where motion is felt most and least in nearly all sea conditions, especially as I have a balance issue caused by a neurological problem.

I felt motion the least at and just forward of the aft elevator bank. Walking forward, motion was more and more evident until I reached the forward-most staterooms. There was slightly more motion at the hallway crossing the ship at the stern than at the aft elevator bank, but not very noticeable.

What I did notice was that the hallways aft of the aft elevators had some noise from the ship's engines, exhaust, etc., but that in our veranda stateroom in that area the noise was not at all evident.

Another couple of questions for VX cabin fans:

Do the larger VX cabins balconies have loungers on them or do they have the same furniture as standard balconies?

If you had to choose either deck 6 or Deck 8 aft VX cabins- which would you prefer? (If deck 7 is unavailable- which it appears to be the case for the cruise I am considering)

We are generally aft cabin fans, (DH being photographer enjoys the panorama from this vantage point) so we understand the basic issues surrounding aft cabin, looking for specifics about AZ.

Much thanks!

Do the larger VX cabins balconies have loungers on them or do they have the same furniture as standard balconies?

If you had to choose either deck 6 or Deck 8 aft VX cabins- which would you prefer? (If deck 7 is unavailable- which it appears to be the case for the cruise I am considering)

We are generally aft cabin fans, (DH being photographer enjoys the panorama from this vantage point) so we understand the basic issues surrounding aft cabin, looking for specifics about AZ.

Much thanks!

I just booked one, 7116, on the current double upgrade special (ways out in 2017) and it looks like same furniture is out there as other balcony cabins.

Much thanks!

Same furniture as a standard balcony cabin ie a table and two chairs. Without doubt I'd go for deck 6. The balcony is bigger and no chance of furniture scraping from above.

Phil

I just booked one, 7116, on the current double upgrade special (ways out in 2017) and it looks like same furniture is out there as other balcony cabins.

Same furniture as a standard balcony cabin ie a table and two chairs. Without doubt I'd go for deck 6. The balcony is bigger and no chance of furniture scraping from above.

Phil

Thanks that's very helpful!

Phil

Thanks for the heads up. I just requested my TA to move from 7116 to 6090, the VX directly below.

Are the deck six balconies considerably larger than deck seven? We are currently booked in 7121 for two legs of our b-to-b-to-b on 2017

Not considerably. Probably about a foot deeper and deck 7 is in turn about a foot deeper than 8. That extra gives more cover as you walk out of the veranda door. Deck 7 or 6 would be equally good because regardless all the aft balconies are a good size and deck 8 to me not so desirable because of the potential for noise from above.

Phil

Thanks for the heads up. I just requested my TA to move from 7116 to 6090, the VX directly below.

Len- which itinerary? We've also just booked 6090 for Oct 2107- Adriatic to Amalfi, so it can't be the same cruise, unless we are all going to be very cozy ;)

I'm not getting my hopes up, tho- I know it's a very sore subject, :p but there was quite a bit strum and drang when these early booked cruises got cancelled and new itineraries made for charters late summer through fall in past years. I booked to get the cabin I want and Windstar doesn't even have their late 2017 itineraries out, but they have several doing a very similar route this year and next at that time of year, so if AZ charters again, I'll have something new to try!:D

Len- which itinerary? We've also just booked 6090 for Oct 2107- Adriatic to Amalfi, so it can't be the same cruise, unless we are all going to be very cozy ;)

I'm not getting my hopes up, tho- I know it's a very sore subject, :p but there was quite a bit strum and drang when these early booked cruises got cancelled and new itineraries made for charters late summer through fall in past years. I booked to get the cabin I want and Windstar doesn't even have their late 2017 itineraries out, but they have several doing a very similar route this year and next at that time of year, so if AZ charters again, I'll have something new to try!:D

Hi Kathy, I think July 22. 2017/18 is the last year that we'll have kids at home. After that, we'll be able to travel anytime of year (except tax season :( )

Hi Kathy, I think July 22. 2017/18 is the last year that we'll have kids at home. After that, we'll be able to travel anytime of year (except tax season :( )

It's been nice to be freed of the shackles of the school vacations and the sky high flights from Boston! But we do miss traveling with the kids! Trying to get to Europe with them next spring, but have to wait out internship dates etc first!

Enjoy your aft balcony!

It's been nice to be freed of the shackles of the school vacations and the sky high flights from Boston! But we do miss traveling with the kids! Trying to get to Europe with them next spring, but have to wait out internship dates etc first!

Enjoy your aft balcony!

We're flying to Europe with the kids the last week of August. Can't wait to get to Paris again.

Thanks, we booked that cruise and cabin for the deal, but we have a 7-day Azamara cruise next summer as a try out. We've never done a small ship cruise before and are a little nervous. We want to do the following in the next few years: Azamara Adriatic locked in for next year, Israel, and Harmony of the Seas. The other two will wait if we really enjoy Azamara.

We're flying to Europe with the kids the last week of August. Can't wait to get to Paris again.

Thanks, we booked that cruise and cabin for the deal, but we have a 7-day Azamara cruise next summer as a try out. We've never done a small ship cruise before and are a little nervous. We want to do the following in the next few years: Azamara Adriatic locked in for next year, Israel, and Harmony of the Seas. The other two will wait if we really enjoy Azamara.

Well, we are new to Azamara too, but if we love the Panama Canal Costa Rica in Feruary, we will have this one set to go. We know we like small ship cruising, having cruised 90-300 pax ships and river boats in the past, but 600 is in that "medium"'spot. I think you will like the personal attention and camaraderie- whether the kids feel there are enough diversions and entertainment is a whole 'nother thing. My 18 yo was bored on Jewel of the seas (5 nights in the Caribbean) but loved Adventure of the Seas. Of course she's a traveler and if the itinerary is intersting enough she will love any trip, but we've alreays told her she's not coming on these trips:D I'm hopeful your family and we will enjoy AZ- I'm hoping it's in that sweet spot of not overly expensive, destination focused, casual, but still attentive and intimate...we will see!

After reading this thread I just had my TA move us from 8090 to 6090 on a Nov 2016 sailing on the Quest. Great deal with the double upgrade promo. VX for the same price as an inside. I think I would have preferred deck 7, but both VX aft cabins on 7 were already booked.

Edited by DebJ14

Are the deck six balconies considerably larger than deck seven? We are currently booked in 7121 for two legs of our b-to-b-to-b on 2017

I booked it for Sept 2016. As we will be in port most of the time and only sailing late nights and early in the morning I figured the motion shouldn't be bad. I hope there isn't much engine vibration while sleeping? But I think the lack of wind, deeper balcony and great views should be a big plus. I loved the outside cafe, now it is gone I will have to be anti social and sit on my own balcony in the evening.

The double upgrade was a great deal, the same price as an inside room.

Edited by Unitedflyier