Crown and Anchor now has Open Enrollment

Looks like they want to expand the base of people they advertise to

5. Why would a guest enroll before they have a completed cruise? By signing up in advance, these guests will receive our newsletters and information on select previews, plus enjoy access to promotional sales.

What are the benefits of doing this before first cruise, besides saving time on the cruise itself?

I think it's more marketing and getting people to know more about the brand.

I was happy to see that I could do it in advance just so it's done (because it's not like you get anything on the first cruise anyway - but I don't have that extra hoop to jump through should I decide to book another cruise while onboard) - but I still don't get the requiring a sign-up to begin with. Disney makes you a Castaway Club member automatically when you cruise with them - no sign-up required.

Looks like they want to expand the base of people they advertise to

5. Why would a guest enroll before they have a completed cruise? By signing up in advance, these guests will receive our newsletters and information on select previews, plus enjoy access to promotional sales.

LOL, if they would have some quality control over their current database of 7+M Crown & Anchor members, they wouldn't need to expand it. We haven't gotten emails for over 2 years, even though we sign up for them on a regular basis.

I was happy to see that I could do it in advance just so it's done (because it's not like you get anything on the first cruise anyway - but I don't have that extra hoop to jump through should I decide to book another cruise while onboard) - but I still don't get the requiring a sign-up to begin with. Disney makes you a Castaway Club member automatically when you cruise with them - no sign-up required.

You used to automatically become a Crown & Anchor member just by taking your first cruise with RCI. The system was changed a few years ago, so that only people who were interested in joining were then included. There are over 7 million members, as it is. Disney deals with a smaller number of passengers.

It's for marketing. Various countries do not let you campaign/email to them unless you explicitly "opt in". Some that come to mind are Canada and a few in EMEA who hold strict anti spam laws. Fines in the millions per incident. No better way to build your database then a smoke and mirrors promotion or enabling some sort of perceived value on the consumer end...LOOK! Come join our EXCLUSIVE club! All I want is your email and consent..and you will actually get nothing.

Edited by CaribSailor

So they cant even reliably contact the people that are already in the program but feel the need to expand the # of people in the program so that they can contact them ..... does anyone know if there is actually an IT department at RCI ?? Seems like money would be better spent on fixing the systems so that you can actually email the existing list rather than expanding the list ...

It's for marketing. Various countries do not let you campaign/email to them unless you explicitly "opt in". Some that come to mind are Canada and a few in EMEA who hold strict anti spam laws. Fines in the millions per incident. No better way to build your database then a smoke and mirrors promotion or enabling some sort of perceived value on the consumer end...LOOK! Come join our EXCLUSIVE club! All I want is your email and consent..and you will actually get nothing.

So, basically it's no different than every other company in the world who wants your business. :rolleyes: At least other countries have strict laws against spam. We have laws here, as well, but they are not enforced, if our increasing telemarketing calls and spam files are any indication.:( Business as usual. :)

So they cant even reliably contact the people that are already in the program but feel the need to expand the # of people in the program so that they can contact them ..... does anyone know if there is actually an IT department at RCI ?? Seems like money would be better spent on fixing the systems so that you can actually email the existing list rather than expanding the list ...

Totally agree! Fix the system first, then worry about expanding it.

I assume that if I register my kids (who have not sailed) then they will have the kids coupons loaded onto their cards?

Can someone expand on the "spouses" get the same status comment? I'm not familiar with this? I'm Platinum and my wife is Gold.

Thanks,

IC

I assume that if I register my kids (who have not sailed) then they will have the kids coupons loaded onto their cards?

Can someone expand on the "spouses" get the same status comment? I'm not familiar with this? I'm Platinum and my wife is Gold.

Thanks,

IC

Kids won't get coupons until their second cruise.

Royal allows one "significant other" living at the same address to be linked with you. They won't get your points, but they will get your C&A level.

Royal allows one "significant other" living at the same address to be linked with you. They won't get your points, but they will get your C&A level.

I have to admit, that is new information to me. RCI got DH's cruise history all wrong, and he ended up with fewer points (at the time it was cruise credits) than I. However, his cruise history now shows the same number of points that I have. :confused:

(We have always cruised together, with no additional cruises taken solo.)

Edited by travelgoddess1

They have no problem sending me multiple emails per day. And yes, I know for sure RC has an IT department. I can tell you that I bet the IT departments main focus is keeping the ships online. There is huge technology liability in play with digital business. Website is secondary. They want you to call in to book to sell you more product. Amazing how people don't get it. If you want to think of another business like crusing think about the PGA tour.. They are a business that is heavily reliant on technology and move the circus from town to town week/week. Cruise companies are similar expect at a greater scale and their IT is ever moving, not packed up in trucks week over week. Yes they have centralized structure but "their" cogs are the actual ships and technology is 85% of that. RC has to protect their investors and is a well recognized brand with multiple vehicles to sell its product. If they could just have a marketing website without booking I bet they would do it, application maintenance is very expensive.

Edited by CaribSailor

I have to admit, that is new information to me. RCI got DH's cruise history all wrong, and he ended up with fewer points (at the time it was cruise credits) than I. However, his cruise history now shows the same number of points that I have. :confused:

(We have always cruised together, with no additional cruises taken solo.)

Karen, you cannot tell for sure from using Royal's website how many points a person has if they are linked. Royal's website shows each person's point total equal to the higher number of points held by either of the linked people.

In other words, if a wife has 100 points and a linked husband has 80 points, each person's My Cruise page will show 100 points.

You would have to call C&A to find out how many points each person really has.

Totally agree! Fix the system first, then worry about expanding it.

I am not worried about tons of emails from RCL.:D:rolleyes:

I do now get maybe 1 a week from having None for years!!! But I nagged them long enough, so they sent me a bone.:D:D

Jump in and learn to swim, they do that often. Have wonderful ideas but then figure out how to make it work. Well, maybe they hired a New IT Team and it will run smoothly now and do every the way it should!

I wonder if having loyalty members that have never cruised has any relationship to the new Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. company TourTrek.

TourTrek has been setting up offices in Grand Cayman to start operations soon and it will be interesting to see how, or if, the land tours will gain C&A points.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Tour-company-in-development-at-Royal-Caribbean/

Thank you.

I know currently Kids don't get coupons until their 2nd sailing but I assumed that was because they were not C&A members until the 2nd cruise. Now that they will be C&A members they still won't get coupons?

Along that line, will a first time C&A cruiser be considered Gold and receive the coupons on that first cruise?

Thank you.

I know currently Kids don't get coupons until their 2nd sailing but I assumed that was because they were not C&A members until the 2nd cruise. Now that they will be C&A members they still won't get coupons?

Along that line, will a first time C&A cruiser be considered Gold and receive the coupons on that first cruise?

I believe Gold still starts at 3 points, so first time cruisers will not be Gold level.

Edited by clarea