Oasis....debarking for noon flight?

We were planning on self debarkation to make sure we have plenty of time.....the thought of 6,000 people going through customs worries me....LOL

But then I have read that some who get off really early end up at the airport at like 7:00 or 8:00 AM......I don't want to sit there for 4 hours either!

Suggestions?

Personally, I would rather be off the ship earlier than later and grabbing a taxi to the airport, where I will then check in and be safely through security. Only then will I relax. You will be waiting no matter what time you disembark... you'll wait on the ship, you'll wait for a cab, you'll wait to check in at the airport, you'll wait for security, you'll wait for your flight...

I think, in reading your comments, that whatever decision you make you will be second-guessing yourself. :o *shrug* No offense intended.

Personally, I would rather be off the ship earlier than later and grabbing a taxi to the airport, where I will then check in and be safely through security.....

I agree with this. The disembarkation and customs process can get slower the later it gets.

I've been sitting at my gate at 6:55AM once, I will always book a 10am flight now. But I walk off right away at 6:15AM-6:30AM

On previous Oasis & Allure cruises, United has always had a 10:30 am flight to Newark, NJ and we've had no problem with the assigned debark time by RCL, and arrived at airport with plenty to spare. On our upcoming Oasis cruise, they changed flight to 10 and I'm considering self debarkation to avoid any possible problems. TG the airport is only 10 minutes away.

Ps, we've had no problems with security clearance at FLL and been TSA pre-cleared by United in using their Explorer credit card.

Personally, I would rather be off the ship earlier than later and grabbing a taxi to the airport, where I will then check in and be safely through security. ......

Last time thru FLL airport, we had to sit in the lobby area. Couldn't even check in, much less pass thru TSA, because we arrived so early (couldn't even check our luggage - had to lug all our bags around with us). We sat for hours in the front lobby, surrounded by all our luggage, in very uncomfortable seats. :(

Go at 9am. You will still have plenty of time.

Just curious since we'll have similar situation. With 9am, is this self debarkation? Or if you get off yourself, are you required to leave at 6am?

I would imagine the later you leave, the longer the lines as you merge with everyone else (except they have to wait for their luggage)

Last time thru FLL airport, we had to sit in the lobby area. Couldn't even check in, much less pass thru TSA, because we arrived so early (couldn't even check our luggage - had to lug all our bags around with us). We sat for hours in the front lobby, surrounded by all our luggage, in very uncomfortable seats. :(

This happened to us, too. This time we booked a 12:30pm flight and will take our time getting off the Allure.

The last time we were at FLL the security line was ridiculous! Wrapped all the way to the rental car area. I thought I read where they have remodeled and it's much better. Can anyone confirm?

The last time we were at FLL the security line was ridiculous! Wrapped all the way to the rental car area. I thought I read where they have remodeled and it's much better. Can anyone confirm?

When we were there this past March, they were even limiting security check-in times. In other words, we could not pass through security until something like 2 hours before our flight.

Just off the Oasis sailing 6/13-6/20. We did the express walk off (we always do, who wants to spend your last day on a cruise packing??), left the ship at 8:30, 45 minute process, door to door. Like others have said, they have this process down to a science.

We had plenty of time for our 11:45 flight.

Edited by dmiracle

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE...

We opted for the 8:00 AM debark, not carrying our own bags.

Worked great, got to the airport by 9:15, took RCCL's transfer.

Thanks for reporting back. Hope you had a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

We got to the airport early and asked for an earlier flight out. You can only do this if you don't check your bags in at the curb. And if they do have empty seats going home.

I book for around noon. You never know if the ship will come in late. Have read some ships didn't make it back because of fog.

We prefer to do the waiting game at the airport. I am a walker so I just walk the airport and get in my steps. My husband is a reader so he reads his books. Or chat with other people. The time seems to go by a little faster.

It always seems like a long day going home. Especially if you are going back to 5 ft. of snow. We always have another hour drive home too from airport.

We were in the same situation in Dec 2013 where we did self disembark for the first time from Indy. When we arrived at the airport via two taxis, we were not allowed to check in. We had to sit and wait 40 minutes before we could check in and go thru security. This is the airport making this decision and not our airline. If you arrive 4 hours or more prior to flight, ft launderdale airport makes you wait. Wish we would have known this as we would have stayed on board and had a quick breakfast. Not sure if this has changed but now I will not book a late flight or get breakfast ahead of time.