Questions about booking when there is no more than 2 allowed in a room

We are looking at the Harmony next May and are a family of 5. Because of what is currently booked and the lifeboat allocation etc, there is not a single room where more than 2 people are allowed, even if the room is meant for more than 2.

We are not going to invite anyone, so how to do our rooms? The thing that makes it difficult is that we want to be suite level. So we could book 2 GS and then possibly one interior, but would the person listed in the interior be able to join us in the concierge lounge? I don't want to pay for a suite for one person. There really won't be that many times our youngest (15yo) will want to be in the concierge lounge with us, but I don't know that we will be able to list him in the interior depending on what rooms we can find with the minor law, etc. I know my DH and me will want to use the CL, but if we have to list one of us in the interior I am concerned that is going to be a problem, right?

Ugh - I have never had this problem!

We think maybe we don't do the suite, but there are 3 days at sea and we love the private area for suite guests.....

Any advice or experience for this?

Also, if I am listed as a single in a suite, do I still only get double points?

TIA

We are looking at the Harmony next May and are a family of 5. Because of what is currently booked and the lifeboat allocation etc, there is not a single room where more than 2 people are allowed, even if the room is meant for more than 2.

We are not going to invite anyone, so how to do our rooms? The thing that makes it difficult is that we want to be suite level. So we could book 2 GS and then possibly one interior, but would the person listed in the interior be able to join us in the concierge lounge? I don't want to pay for a suite for one person. There really won't be that many times our youngest (15yo) will want to be in the concierge lounge with us, but I don't know that we will be able to list him in the interior depending on what rooms we can find with the minor law, etc. I know my DH and me will want to use the CL, but if we have to list one of us in the interior I am concerned that is going to be a problem, right?

Ugh - I have never had this problem!

We think maybe we don't do the suite, but there are 3 days at sea and we love the private area for suite guests.....

Any advice or experience for this?

Also, if I am listed as a single in a suite, do I still only get double points?

TIA

Triple points for a single cruise is in a suite. I am not sure if this includes JS or not, but GS up for sure.

I am not sure if I understood all of your post (not you a me thing;)), what what about a larger cabin elsewhere, such as a CLS? OK just reread your post. Book what you need now and I guess you could keep checking to see if a larger cabin becomes available and is allowed to occupy more cruisers as it gets closer to sail date. However, I am not sure where this leaves you in paying for cabin's that you might not end up using after final payment date.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Tripple points for a single cruise is in a suite. I am not sure if this includes JS or not, but GS up for sure.

I am not sure if I understood all of your post (not you me;)), what what about a larger cabin elsewhere, such as a CLS?

Triple points for a single in a JS too.

To the OP, you can put the minor alone in a stateroom either adjacent or across the hall from you. Royal does let minor children in the CL with their parents/guardians.

Yay - I was able to 2 GS with a D4 balcony all right in a row. The D4 balcony was actually cheaper (with our diamond balcony discount) than the interior room we could find that still followed their minor rule.

I think I will keep DH and me and my 18/19 yo in the suites even though I could get triple points if I listed me by myself and one of them in the D4. That would mean one of us would not get the suite benefits or would be sneaking in to get them. I have heard so many complaints from the D+ people anyway I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.

I will keep checking to see if it ever opens up for 3 in a room, but the guy at RC said it rarely happens.

And it sounds like we can take our 15yo in the concierge lounge with us when we do that every now and then.

Yay - I was able to 2 GS with a D4 balcony all right in a row. The D4 balcony was actually cheaper (with our diamond balcony discount) than the interior room we could find that still followed their minor rule.

I think I will keep DH and me and my 18/19 yo in the suites even though I could get triple points if I listed me by myself and one of them in the D4. That would mean one of us would not get the suite benefits or would be sneaking in to get them. I have heard so many complaints from the D+ people anyway I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.

I will keep checking to see if it ever opens up for 3 in a room, but the guy at RC said it rarely happens.

And it sounds like we can take our 15yo in the concierge lounge with us when we do that every now and then.

Just be aware, and to save you some unnecessary embarrassment, that the Concierge is aware of everyone that is eligible to be in either lounge and this is done by picture identification that is made available to them after boarding has been completed.

Edited by cruisenfever

Man...I would have booked a different ship or time, rather than paying for all those extra cabins/suites!

Some folks can only go at certain times. It is too bad that can't work for the OP, but not everyone has that type of fexibility.

EDIT: They are lucky though in the fact that they can pay for the cabins. :) It is all in how it works for the indiviual.

Edited by A&L_Ont

ONLY if the 15 yo is BOOKED in a suite or is D+ in their own right for cocktail hour. no one is going to mind during the rest of the day when it is not manned or there is no bar service, BUT

you CANNOT assume that just because they are traveling with you and are a minor/child they will be allowed in esp. when it is crowded.

ONLY if the 15 yo is BOOKED in a suite or is D+ in their own right for cocktail hour. no one is going to mind during the rest of the day when it is not manned or there is no bar service, BUT

you CANNOT assume that just because they are traveling with you and are a minor/child they will be allowed in esp. when it is crowded.

The current rule is that minor children are allowed in with their parents to the CL during cocktail hour (if the parents are in a suite).

Edited by marci22

The current rule is that minor children are allowed in with their parents to the CL during cocktail hour (if the parents are in a suite).

Thanks for that confirmation. That has been our experience in the CL. Not in the diamond lounge. They are much more strict.

Some folks can only go at certain times. It is too bad that can't work for the OP, but not everyone has that type of fexibility.

EDIT: They are lucky though in the fact that they can pay for the cabins. :) It is all in how it works for the indiviual.

The issue is partly the time, partly the fact it's a graduation trip and we like this itinerary a lot better than some of the others around that same time.

And yes we are absolutely BLESSED and thankful we are able to do special family times like this. And crazily the GS for June is about the same price for a balcony room on a New Years cruise.

The issue is partly the time, partly the fact it's a graduation trip and we like this itinerary a lot better than some of the others around that same time.

And yes we are absolutely BLESSED and thankful we are able to do special family times like this. And crazily the GS for June is about the same price for a balcony room on a New Years cruise.

I am so glad that you are able to do this with your family. We did it for our family as well. Those special moments mean so much.

As for NYE, I'd love to do it. I can't justify it, even with a December 31st birthday.

EDIT: I thought I share with you why we did it for our family. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1873787

Edited by A&L_Ont

.ONLY if the child is in the suite( or D+/Pinnacle) as well.

the CLs are way too crowded these days that no one can assume nor expect that anyone not entitled/authorized in their own right should be allowed access.

I am so glad that you are able to do this with your family. We did it for our family as well. Those special moments mean so much.

As for NYE, I'd love to do it. I can't justify it, even with a December 31st birthday.

EDIT: I thought I share with you why we did it for our family. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1873787

Wow. I just read your post. I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet daughter. I cannot even imagine. Thank you for sharing that. Another (often much needed) reminder in the busyness of life we need to always take those moments that we can.

And I tell people all the time we are so blessed for what God has given us. Any work and hours we put in are a benefit of His grace.

the CLs are way too crowded these days that no one can assume nor expect that anyone not entitled/authorized in their own right should be allowed access.

Got it babe. No need to repeat yourself just because you are not acknowledged. And YMMV.

Wow. I just read your post. I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet daughter. I cannot even imagine. Thank you for sharing that. Another (often much needed) reminder in the busyness of life we need to always take those moments that we can.

And I tell people all the time we are so blessed for what God has given us. Any work and hours we put in are a benefit of His grace.

Thank-you Cindivan. Moments spent with family are priceless. I know you will enjoy yours with your family. You will have an amzing time. Congrats on the graduation as well.

Andrew

Incorrect.

I actually called RC directly about this when my kids were younger. They do not have to be in the suite.

Also remember that kids get parents' status so even if the parent is not in a suite and is D+ or higher, kids will be D+ and so allowed entry into CL with their parents.

Funny thing is, this really isn't a CL situation, it is an SL situation. Harmony has a suite lounge and has nothing to do with D+ crowding. Take your son, enjoy your cruise. BTW, Coastal Kitchen is phenomenal

Ahhhh. I keep forgetting the change in name. Yes I am talking about the suite lounge. Is there even a CL anymore or is it SL and DL? I guess it depends on the ship?

No CL anymore, just a Diamond Lounge and Suite Lounge.