Upgrade Fairy

I am booked 3 June Explorer Alaska Inside Passage in a deck 2 ocean view state room. What are my chances of the upgrade fairy paying us a visit and how far do you think we will be upgraded?

Cruise in 2005 we were upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Grand Suite and it was...well sweet.

Last November on a repositioning we were booked in same type of room and were upgraded to E2 balcony :). No email or notice from them about it whatsoever. We decided to take an extra bag and I logged in to print a new luggage tag and found the room change. It was amazing! (and probably rare).

I am booked 3 June Explorer Alaska Inside Passage in a deck 2 ocean view state room. What are my chances of the upgrade fairy paying us a visit and how far do you think we will be upgraded?

Cruise in 2005 we were upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Grand Suite and it was...well sweet.

Alaska sailings usually sell out. Without status, I'd say your chances are slim. Upgrades on RCI have changed since 2005.

Make sure you have set up your profile on the C&A page to automatic upgrades, because if there IS a snowball's chance in he** that you could get it, you will be eliminated if you don't have that box checked.:D

Crazy enough, my boyfriend and I were on freedom this past may and to our surprise when we got on the ship we had a different room number. We didn't know what to think about it because we honestly didn't even know that an upgrade was a possibility and the ship was at full capacity. Sure enough we had been upgraded to a deck 6 balcony. The room was accessible, so it was considerably bigger than those next to us and so was the balcony!! Considering we were booked in a measly ocean view stateroom, this made our cruise unforgettable. It DOES happen still. We are only gold members, so status has nothing to do with what happened to us. Hope that you get as lucky as we did!

We've NEVER been upgraded! You were quite lucky!

Never been upgraded either in 40+ Royal Caribbean cruises. Our only upgrades were the paid upgrades to a higher category.

Hope the fairy comes your way though.........

We were upgraded a couple of weeks ago on Allure from a D1 to JS. Second time we've been upgraded and both times on Allure - it must be our lucky ship :).

Fortunately we already had the box checked for an automatic upgrade as we've been unable to get into our upgrade preferences (or gift preferences) online for several months.

Edited by Bobal

Upgrades come from different sources -- some are from the travel agent, and some are from Crown & Anchor. Some upgrades could even come from the Revenue Department, to satisfy a large group's request for a specific cabin category, or to locate cabins in the same area.

I've checked the box for NO automatic upgrade.

I like to be in a specific location, and sometimes an upgrade can become a downgrade if you are put somewhere you are not comfortable with.

The only way I would be comfortable with an upgrade is if I spoke to my TA or a cruise line rep.

I would even pay a small amount for an upgrade if it was a location I was interested in.

Barb

Your chances for an upgrade are extremely slim. Be sure you have booked a cabin you will be satisfied with in the first place.

That's an option. What if I wait until say four months before sale date and call the C & A department about a revenue upgrade? Do that do that?

That's an option. What if I wait until say four months before sale date and call the C & A department about a revenue upgrade? Do that do that?

They do offer paid upgrades at times, but it's usually after final payment, and closer to the sail date.

On Oasis last December, booked the cheapest interior available, then at check-in at the pier their records had us in a different room number. We were given an oceanview balcony cabin midship deck 8. Amazing!

We were touched by the upgrade fairy on our very first cruise....we booked an ocean view on deck 3 at the cruise show.......

When later discussing with a well cruised friend we told her we were on deck 3. She likened pressing down on the elevator to turning right getting on an aircraft.

Quite funny really but it pushed my wife's buttons.....anyway she rang customer service and tried for a paid upgrade. She tried several times in the run up to the cruise with no joy......

On arrival at the dock in barcelona it transpired that the fairy had waved her magic wand and we were miraculously given they keys for a deck 9 balcony cabin...

Good move from Royal as we now enjoy the suite life...from choice and royals lifetime revenue from us will be higher because of that initial upgrade.......

Clever fairy.......

On Oasis last December, booked the cheapest interior available, then at check-in at the pier their records had us in a different room number. We were given an oceanview balcony cabin midship deck 8. Amazing!

So it sounds like while we can check in 90 days out, we should wait until at the port in hopes she visits?