Virus Warning ????

Harley0711

It's the link. Do not click on it. Just go to Cruise critic and access the info. This has happened to me twice today and twice yesterdat

What link are you referring to? When I got my messages I had clicked on “Royal Princess” from the Princess Roll Calls on the CC boards.

Me too this morning. I shut everything via Task Manager and ran a virus scan.

Any warnings like this should come thru your own security system & if you do not recognize the bogus warning DO NOT OPEN IT.

If you are getting a full screen page with a smaller box in it saying you need to call a number to fix the problem it is NOT real. It's just another piece of $#|t spyware deal that's going around. It's rampant and extremely annoying. A number of commonly used spyware removal programs don't take care of it. I hate people that create stuff like this.

OMG, yesterday afternoon all of a sudden I got some big red alert about malware and to click on the popup....I tried closing it but it wouldn't let me so I went to my log off, had the computer close down the various windows I was on (I tend to multi-surf). Didn't know which site it was that got me this... I had somewhere to go anyway. when I got back on my computer, didn't get the message (but maybe I didn't get back on CC as I got back home after 9). This morning I ran my Norton AV scan and nothing showed up. So I'm guessing (and hoping) that your computer would only be in danger if one clicked on what they wanted you to click on.

Maybe we should go on the CC facebook page to complain.

Just happened to me the second time in 3 days. First time I checked phone number on google and it says its a scam. I have a mac and I just hit the option, command and esc keys to "force quit". The first time I completely shut down and rebooted but the second time I was able to follow the above key sequence and I didn't have to shut down. Very annoying to say the least. I'm assuming there's a well placed ad right near the top of the page that's snagging us as we scroll by.

If you are getting a full screen page with a smaller box in it saying you need to call a number to fix the problem it is NOT real. It's just another piece of $#|t spyware deal that's going around. It's rampant and extremely annoying. A number of commonly used spyware removal programs don't take care of it. I hate people that create stuff like this.

I think the damage is only done when you respond and only then if you allow access to your system or pay them to 'remove a virus'. The ad has no virus and so Norton et al would see nothing to block.

I also don't think it is an 'ad' on cruise critic. I think it is just a pop-up that is attached somehow to a web page. I suppose that is something CC could watch for and stop. Just don't know enough about how pop ups work.

Edited by Tedferg

I've experienced those fake "virus warning" popups while visiting CC using Windows 10 in Firefox and my previous Windows 7 using Chrome. I received one of the popups sometime in the past week. I closed out of the window, another popup appeared asking me to confirm. X'd out of that one too. Be wary of fake "close" buttons and x's on these kinds of ads. Ran malwarebytes scan and AV scan afterwards, no issues found. Cleared unfamiliar cookies etc.

My understanding is that a rogue script served by an ad network can cause this pop-up behavior, among other things.

Enabling pop-up blocking in the browser is recommended, but it doesn't stop this particular script behavior. For example, there are certain travel websites which issue pop-under commands that the pop-up blocker doesn't block. A certain large "M" hotel chain started running one of them a few years ago, through its affiliation with a group of other hotel chains. I'm a member of M's loyalty program and I was ticked that M would resort to that, even when I was logged into their website as a loyalty program member.

In any case, I hope that CC's admins address whatever is causing this issue, if indeed the issue is within their purview.

IMHO CC has the issue. Sysop please check the # of administrator accounts on your system. There may be an extra one added. Happen to me. Good luck.

framer

vB and similar forum software has been compromised before. Thanks for bringing forth a possible factor for site management to review.

OMG' date=' yesterday afternoon all of a sudden I got some big red alert about malware and to click on the popup....I tried closing it but it wouldn't let me so I went to my log off, had the computer close down the various windows I was on (I tend to multi-surf).

[/quote']

Your action was right! Anytime you see a pop up or window like this DO NOT click anywhere on it.. don't click the X you typically would click to close a window... sometimes that is all that is needed to click on the executable portion of the virus. Shut down ASAP without clicking on the pop up and generally you will be fine.

Not seen this myself, but I have pop-ups blocked and do sometimes get a message to say a pop up has been blocked. Not all pop-ups are bad, and having them blocked means I don't get hotspot log-off pages for hot spots unless I click on the invitation to 'allow once' for the site. This is procedure I am content to accept as I find most pop-ups are unwelcome.

What I do get, from AVG, is a warning that the site contains elements (presumably advert links) which are not under the control of the website.

I also get the same warning on a number of other sites which are funded by advertising.

Simply serves to remind me that the website does not have control over the adverts, OR THEIR CONTENT, which could be malicious and that I should be wary of all unsolicited advert links.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Your action was right! Anytime you see a pop up or window like this DO NOT click anywhere on it.. don't click the X you typically would click to close a window... sometimes that is all that is needed to click on the executable portion of the virus. Shut down ASAP without clicking on the pop up and generally you will be fine.

Following works. No need to restart the computer, just kill the browser.

Went to Task Manger and closed out the screen.

I have encountered the same issue the past 2 days when attempting to go on any Princess roll call using my laptop, running IE. Ran Windows Defender scan and nothing turned up,

Today I did not even try to access CC on the laptop. Instead I am using my Android tablet, and have no problem using CC.

• Administrators

Hello all:

I think I may have pinpointed the specific rogue ad being served that caused these issues and have asked that it be blocked from our site. We did this yesterday afternoon, so we hope we got the right one.

It is now 8:37am ET Tuesday -- if you have issues after this time please post here.

Laura