Port Canaveral .. Majesty?? RC Handing PC Over To Carnival

Isn't that a big negative then :what:

I wonder if they can do anything about it

I doubt they will add more accessible cabins. For me personally, I dont really see it as a big negative. I just know that if Im going to cruise on a Sovereign ship, I have to book really early.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done the math to compare total cabin revenue from all cabin types on a 4 day Sovereign vs a 4 day Radiance. This debate on total berths vs quality berths has gone on forever

Have not done that comparison, but here are the numbers for Majesty vs. Enchantment:

Majesty

Cabin Average cost Percentage Capacity

Interior 259 60.00% 1656

OV 309 30.00% 828

Suite 929 10.00% 276

Enchantment

Interior 339 30.00% 733

OV 419 20.00% 489

Balcony 549 35.00% 856

Suite 1419 15.00% 366

Edited by orville99

Have not done that comparison, but here are the numbers for Majesty vs. Enchantment:

Majesty

Interior 259 60.00% 1656

OV 309 30.00% 828

Suite 929 10.00% 276

Enchantment

Interior 339 30.00% 630

OV 419 20.00% 420

Balcony 549 35.00% 735

Suite 1419 15.00% 315

What is the point you are trying to make with this spreadsheet?

Majesty

CabinAverage costPercentageCapacity

Interior259 60.00% 1656

OV309 30.00% 828

Suite929 10.00% 276

Enchantment

CabinAverage costPercentageCapacity

Interior339 30.00% 630

OV419 20.00% 420

Balcony549 35.00% 735

Suite1419 15.00% 315

Thanks, that makes me feel more informed. Not like that makes any difference. ;)

What is the point you are trying to make with this spreadsheet?

I was just curious what total revenue was between a ship with lots of inexpensive cabins vs one with a mix of inexpensive and higher priced. No big deal

Thanks, that makes me feel more informed. Not like that makes any difference. ;)

The only real difference it makes (and it's easy to do this type of comparison between any two ships) is when someone contends that simply because a particular ship has more total cabin capacity than another it must generate more booking revenue. If I were to do a Radiance class ship compared to Majesty, the differential would be even more striking, since Radiance class ships have four decks of balcony and above vs. one deck.

If you applied the same pricing differential between categories to both ships, the ship with more high priced cabins would always generate more booking revenue.

The Miami, short cruises are an extremely important revenue source, and it's a very competitive market. They need a ship with more balconies to compete with NCL and Carnival on those routes. It's going to be even more competitive in the not so distant future as Cuba enters the mainstream cruising destination. The South Florida ports (as well as San Juan) will potentially have to compete with Havana as a home-port.

I just read that MSC is going to home port a ship in Havana beginning Dec 2015. I thought it was interesting to read.

I can see cruise lines having a port stop in Cuba starting from either Miami, PE, PC or San Juan, or other embarkation ports; perhaps even an overnight stop to give cruisers a greater opportunity to see the locale.

When a cruise line is basing a ship in a port, it is expecting locals to be utilizing the ship as a vacation as well......will it prove to be a one way vacation for some looking for a way to permanently leave the island?

Then WHY SWITCH THEM AT ALL ??? They could have just left Majesty in Miami and kept Enchantment in Port Canaveral ... no interruptions ..

So I guess you are missing my point. What did they actually accomplish here??

This was my point as well. Instead of bringing majesty to pc leave the enchantment there and leave the new upgraded majesty in Miami. Love the idea of having the oasis but my husband and I enjoy the quick 3 or 4 day getaway but won't be doing it on the majesty

This was my point as well. Instead of bringing majesty to pc leave the enchantment there and leave the new upgraded majesty in Miami. Love the idea of having the oasis but my husband and I enjoy the quick 3 or 4 day getaway but won't be doing it on the majesty

Because then they would be offering compensation to passengers on both the Enchantmrnt and the Rhapsody instead of just the Rhapsody.

Majesty

Interior 259 60.00% 1656

OV 309 30.00% 828

Suite 929 10.00% 276

Enchantment

Interior 339 30.00% 733

OV 419 20.00% 489

Balcony 549 35.00% 856

Suite 1419 15.00% 366

The numbers are pretty much useless. Cabins are sold at varied prices for anywhere between 1 and 2 years prior to sailing. Unless you know (which no one other than a few employees at RCI) the actual revenue the ship generates in total you can't make any meaningful comparison by picking one date out of a hat and doing a comparison.

The numbers are pretty much useless. Cabins are sold at varied prices for anywhere between 1 and 2 years prior to sailing. Unless you know (which no one other than a few employees at RCI) the actual revenue the ship generates in total you can't make any meaningful comparison by picking one date out of a hat and doing a comparison.

Sure. Prices vary, but do it in those first few days after deployment released and you should see the potential revenue. That's what the bean counters have to forecast.

Then WHY SWITCH THEM AT ALL ??? They could have just left Majesty in Miami and kept Enchantment in Port Canaveral ... no interruptions ..

So I guess you are missing my point. What did they actually accomplish here??

Port Canaveral is known to be the retirement port.

Where did Sovereign of the Seas retire from on 10/27/08? - Port Canaveral.

Where did Monarch of the Seas retire from on 03/29/13? - Port Canaveral

Where will Majesty of the Seas likely retire from? - Port Canaveral.

Capt. Rune is known as the retirement Captain since he puts them to rest.

Why break tradition?

Sure. Prices vary, but do it in those first few days after deployment released and you should see the potential revenue. That's what the bean counters have to forecast.

That may be so but don't forget that revenue by itself cannot be used to determine which is the more profitable ship. I'm fairly certain that each ship has different cost structures. It's quite conceivable that the Majesty could provide more bottom line revenue to Royal. I would think that the depreciation costs for the Majesty would be significantly lower than those of the Enchantment.

At the end of the day it is all guesswork by us here on CC as none of is has access to all of the information that Royal used to base their decision on these moves.

The one thing that I can say for certain is that they have a while lot more experience in running a cruise line than any of us do.

I live near the port. Not happy Majesty is coming here...never liked the ship. Regardless...those of you who are bashing Port Canaveral...it is an easy drive from southern states, Orlando airport is the cheapest to fly into and only 45 minutes away. All the attractions nearby offer theme park visitors a split vacation. Port Canaveral is growing even bigger and building a entertainment complex. It is THE port of Florida...like it or not. Oasis is an upgrade, this forced Carnival to upgrade to its newer Magic ship and RCCL to fill a gap it thought it could get away with before succumbing to bringing Majesty. It is a chess match before your eyes. I know the port manager. NCL just decided to bring in the Spirit. We will see who is next. They are building two more piers. All is well.

Not at all true. You can take any number as a baseline (say 100) and increase each succeeding category by any % you want and the math still works out the same. Even a 1% increase between categories will produce the same outcome. Ships with more balcony or higher will always produce more REVPAR than ships with fewer balcony or higher cabins. Simple math. ;)

I think royal is telling you how much port canaveral means too them .They are bringing oasis there. They also stopped the transferer of majesty going to bring her to dry dock refurbish her spend millions doing it and put her in port canaveral .So now in 2016 royal has nearly doubled the amount of cbins it will have available in pc.They have gone from 1 ship to two .

I live near the port. Not happy Majesty is coming here...never liked the ship. Regardless...those of you who are bashing Port Canaveral...it is an easy drive from southern states, Orlando airport is the cheapest to fly into and only 45 minutes away. All the attractions nearby offer theme park visitors a split vacation. Port Canaveral is growing even bigger and building a entertainment complex. It is THE port of Florida...like it or not. Oasis is an upgrade, this forced Carnival to upgrade to its newer Magic ship and RCCL to fill a gap it thought it could get away with before succumbing to bringing Majesty. It is a chess match before your eyes. I know the port manager. NCL just decided to bring in the Spirit. We will see who is next. They are building two more piers. All is well.

I know you are reading many posters as feeling they are 'bashing PC' -- I certainly am not. I do believe Royal realized a mistake in leaving PC without a 3/4 day itinerary ship. They then revamped their ship positioning. Not everyone is happy with their decision -- clearly you are not, even with the refurb they are giving Her Majesty. I like your comparison to a chess match. The first move Royal made, clearly did not end up their best move and they have now made additional moves -- I expect that this will just be the start. It will be more interesting when the next deployment schedule comes out....and what they will continue to do. By then perhaps Cuba will open as a 'real viable port of call' for cruise lines.

Right now I wish Her Majesty was remaining in Miami....that waterslide surely is of interest to me.