Getting a Visa while visiting Turkey

Hi everyone, my husband and I will be cruising the Mediterranean in September on Celebrity. Our last port is Istanbul where we will disembark and fly back to North America. What is the best way to get a Visa for Turkey?

Thanks,

Terri

First off you do need to obtain an electronic visa as cruise lines no longer obtain it for you and vslparis you are wrong.

It is very easy to do. We have done it and our cruise ended in Istanbul and we had to do it.

This URL takes you to the Turkey site where you can get the electronic visa. Very easy.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Keith

Please do get a visa before you go. When you disembark in Istanbul you WILL go through Immigration and you will be required to present your passport and visa paperwork. I know because we disembarked in Istanbul just on a year ago.

Once again, You have to do the visa before you can disembark and most cruise lines will want to see it when you board.

This is so easy it will take you less than five minutes to do it.

And the rules changed in 2014 so anyone who has experiences prior to that just know the rules changed.

You have to go with an E-Visa.

Keith

You won't need a visa if you are leaving the country on the day of disembarkation.

Ouch!! That's simply incorrect, vslparis

The OP, like most other nationalities, is required to have a visa unless they arrive and depart (within 72 hrs) on a cruise ship or ferry.

From a couple of years ago visas can be obtained on-line as others have posted.

But the planned withdrawal of visa-on-arrival was postponed indefinitely, and visas-on-arrival are still available (exact cash USD or GBP required) for a number of nationalities, including Canuks, Americans & Brits.

However, obtaining it on-line will save time and grief - though not too soon because it is valid for 90 days from the date of application.

See the FAQ on the govt website that I've linked.

But the OP is going to have a bit of a sticker-shock, dabear - the fee for Canadians is 60USD :eek:

This is because of the high cost of a Canadian visa for Turks - known as reciprocity (if I've spelled it right :rolleyes:)

Use only the official Turkish govt website https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ because other websites - even though they might look official - are agencies and will add a fee.

JB :)

JB, I just want to note that some cruise lines required that you have the e-visa in hand before you board their ships. Ours did.

Always wise to get this on line.

Very easy and no lines. No reason not to.

Keith

JB, I just want to note that some cruise lines required that you have the e-visa in hand before you board their ships. Ours did.

Always wise to get this on line.

Very easy and no lines. No reason not to.

Keith

Hi Keith.

That's not the law.

But then cruise lines are pretty good at making their own laws :D

Yep. Avoid any grief & do it on-line. ;)

Celebrity checked we had a Turkish visa before we embarked in Venice. Carriers (ships, planes etc) are required to check visas if required as they assume all responsibility for transport if a country refuses someone (eg no visa) once they allow you to board. That is certainly the law.

Edited by Pushka

Celebrity checked we had a Turkish visa before we embarked in Venice. Carriers (ships, planes etc) are required to check visas if required as they assume all responsibility for transport if a country refuses someone (eg no visa) once they allow you to board. That is certainly the law.

A moot point, cos we're all agreed that e-visa is easiest, and ships can make up their own rules, but .............

I have flown to Turkey on a number of occasions without a visa and purchased at the Turkish airports on arrival - no airline even asked if I had a visa.

And as per the Turkish govt website, that is still an option.

On a cruise which started elsewhere but ended in Istanbul, visas were arranged on-board & charged to on-board accounts for those departing on ship's charter flight - I clearly remember this cos we already had valid visas from a previous visit & had to get the charge removed.

Think about it - there'd be no point in having a visa-on-arrival facility if airlines & cruiselines were required by law to ensure that passengers had a visa before boarding.

Sorry, but logic as well as experience makes it very easy to say that you are most definitely wrong for Turkey and for other countries which offer visa-on-arrival. :p

Edited by John Bull

Hi Keith.

That's not the law.

But then cruise lines are pretty good at making their own laws :D

Yep. Avoid any grief & do it on-line. ;)

JB you are right. Not the law but as you say the cruise lines can do what the want.

It does make it so much easier to do it on line.

I wish they were all this simple. :)

Keith

JB and Keith: you both are right. Although we were in Istanbul 3 years ago, the rules did change in 2014 requiring a visa for embarking or disembarking in Turkey (just touring for less than 72 hours is excluded from visa requirements). Only on line applications are accepted (I checked with the Turkish Embassy months ago as were are departing from Istanbul in a few months & I had checked the new rules.

A moot point, cos we're all agreed that e-visa is easiest, and ships can make up their own rules, but .............

I have flown to Turkey on a number of occasions without a visa and purchased at the Turkish airports on arrival - no airline even asked if I had a visa.

And as per the Turkish govt website, that is still an option.

On a cruise which started elsewhere but ended in Istanbul, visas were arranged on-board & charged to on-board accounts for those departing on ship's charter flight - I clearly remember this cos we already had valid visas from a previous visit & had to get the charge removed.

Think about it - there'd be no point in having a visa-on-arrival facility if airlines & cruiselines were required by law to ensure that passengers had a visa before boarding.

Sorry, but logic as well as experience makes it very easy to say that you are most definitely wrong for Turkey and for other countries which offer visa-on-arrival. :p

There is no visa on arrival for ships. You stated you flew in - that is a completely different arrival experience. The OP is on a ship. Google it.

And just before our cruise last year Celebrity sent us an email stating they would not be organising our visa. This was 12 months ago. How recent is your experience? I am not wrong.

Thankyou dabear. The rules did change in 2014 which was when we travelled. So it would seem my experience and comments are valid and not yours for a couple of reasons. Recency and actual experience on a ship entry.

Edited by Pushka

There is no visa on arrival for ships. You stated you flew in - that is a completely different arrival experience. The OP is on a ship. Google it.

And just before our cruise last year Celebrity sent us an email stating they would not be organising our visa. This was 12 months ago. How recent is your experience? I am not wrong.

Thankyou dabear. The rules did change in 2014 which was when we travelled. So it would seem my experience and comments are valid and not yours for a couple of reasons. Recency and actual experience on a ship entry.

A not-so-subtle change in the second post, Pushka :D

You claimed that "all carriers are required to check visas", and "that is certainly the law".

Wrong on both counts, so I kindly corrected you :)

Certainly visa-on-arrival is still available, as per the FAQ on that Turkish govt website. It doesn't differentiate between airports, sea ports & land borders.

But I think I've found a logical reason why some (probably all) ships are no longer providing visas as they have done in the past.

Apparently the Turkish govt has started a rolling programme of gradually closing cash-for-sticker kiosks at ports-of-entry and providing e-visa terminals in their place. So you stand in line at an immigration computer terminal to enter your details & your payment card details, much as you would have done at home.

Can't see a cruise line doing that for a few thousand visas.

And BTW, the fee for visa-on-arrival is now higher than for applying in advance - another reason, if one were needed, why it makes sense to apply for an e-visa in advance. And makes our little disagreement a bit pointless. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone, my husband and I will be cruising the Mediterranean in September on Celebrity. Our last port is Istanbul where we will disembark and fly back to North America. What is the best way to get a Visa for Turkey?

Thanks,

Terri

ANSWER: E-Visa done on the Official Turkish Gov't Internet Website. Locomotiveman

I am confused...is Dabear incorrect? I also thought for stays longer than 72 hrs arriving by ship, that one was required to purchase the Visa in advance on the website.

Arriving by ship & leaving by ship within 72 hours you don't need a Turkish visa.

So for example if your cruise starts in Greece - visits Turkish ports mid-cruise - and ends in Italy, you don't need a visa.

I can't imagine that your ship has a port-of-call visit for longer than 72 hours :confused:, but if it did you would need a visa.

If your cruise starts or ends in Turkey, you will of course have to enter or leave Turkey by some other means, such as by plane. In that case you do need a visa.

It doesn't make any difference whether you travel direct between ship & airport or you swan around in Turkey for up to 90 days, you still need a visa.

Forget the squabbling over e-visa in advance or visa-on-arrival ;) - if you need a visa keep it simple by doing it in advance on-line.

Now if you'll excuse me, my head hurts & I've gotta go lie down :D

Disembarking is not a port call. The length of time you are in Istanbul is not relevant once disembarking.

This is a cruise forum. I was referring to ships for info related to visas. Referring to other modes of entry will confuse the OP.

And all carriers do check for visas if there is no VOA. In this instance, a ship would check that a visa was in place for people disembarking in Turkey as ships no longer arrange them.

Disembarking is not a port call. The length of time you are in Istanbul is not relevant once disembarking.

This is a cruise forum. I was referring to ships for info related to visas. Referring to other modes of entry will confuse the OP.

And all carriers do check for visas if there is no VOA. In this instance, a ship would check that a visa was in place for people disembarking in Turkey as ships no longer arrange them.

1. I have no idea who your first point was directed to, though of course you're correct.

2. So you're saying that when folk fly into a Turkish port to start a cruise, it isn't cruise-related? :confused:

3. You've now introduced ".....if there is no VOA".

But Turkey does still offer the option of VOA (visa-on-arrival), as I hope you now accept. Ergo all carriers don't have to check visas, even if cruise lines choose to.

So why not just accept that & we can all move on.

But since e-visa is cheaper & easier, and some/all cruise lines will want to check visas if disembarking in Turkey, it's "a moot point" and "makes our little disagreement a bit pointless" as per my earlier posts

So I really don't care whether you accept it or not.

Can we call it a day, and talk about the Ashes? :p

Dear John Bull and Keith1010

Our cruise disembarks in Istanbul (ship docks at 06.00 on a Sunday) and our flight back to the UK is not until 20.30. It will be our first visit to Istanbul and we want to make the most of the limited time we will have on the day.

The ship does have a disembarkation tour but that gets us to Attaturk airport early afternoon, meaning we will be 'kicking our heels' at the airport for 5-6 hrs, and the tour doesn't really do what we would want to do (carpet factory visit, etc).

Do you have any suggestions you could offer as what options we could pursue to: leave our luggage somewhere; make the most of the day; travel (by what means) to the airport in time for check-in.

Any help you could offer would be great as my wife and I are struggling to come up with a workable plan.

Many thanks for your help

Neil

1. I have no idea who your first point was directed to, though of course you're correct.

2. So you're saying that when folk fly into a Turkish port to start a cruise, it isn't cruise-related? :confused:

1. I believe he was referring to the difference in ships docking purposes. If it is mid-cruise it's a port call, and pax are not considered to be officially entering the country so don't need a visa. If it's the end of the cruise and pax are disembarking, then the pax are actually entering the country (even if it's just for a 30 minute cab ride to the airport, they have still "entered" the country) and in this case need a visa.

2. Your flight may be cruise related, but since you are entering the country prior to boarding the ship, you still need a visa.

Dear John Bull and Keith1010

Our cruise disembarks in Istanbul (ship docks at 06.00 on a Sunday) and our flight back to the UK is not until 20.30. It will be our first visit to Istanbul and we want to make the most of the limited time we will have on the day.

The ship does have a disembarkation tour but that gets us to Attaturk airport early afternoon, meaning we will be 'kicking our heels' at the airport for 5-6 hrs, and the tour doesn't really do what we would want to do (carpet factory visit, etc).

Do you have any suggestions you could offer as what options we could pursue to: leave our luggage somewhere; make the most of the day; travel (by what means) to the airport in time for check-in.

Any help you could offer would be great as my wife and I are struggling to come up with a workable plan.

Many thanks for your help

Neil

Hi Neil,

I've not had this problem, because on the one occasion I've been in that situation I arranged to leave luggage at the hotel we used pre-cruise. If you have a pre-cruise stay in Istanbul, I suggest you do the same - Turkish folk are very obliging.

Otherwise ............

There are left luggage facilities in Taksim http://bagaj.co/eng/#about-bagaj and at Sirkeci train station.

The one at Taksim is a short taxi ride from the new cruise terminal, but in the opposite direction to the main sights. Sirkeci train station is almost-certainly the better bet because it's very little further and much more convenient to the sights.

To get to Sirkeci train station you have two options.

Walk out of the port gate & head for the nearest tram stop. Take a tram heading to your left - it's the direction that virtually all cruisers will be going - and get off at Eminonou (first stop after the tram has crossed Galata Bridge)or the next one, Gulhane. They're both less than a ten minute walk from the station.

But the tram may be crowded & that's no fun with luggage - I know, I've done it :eek:

So because you have luggage, a taxi is much much easier. Unfortunately taxis at the port have a pretty dreadful reputation for ripping-off tourists with high fares (they won't use their meters). You can walk past them & hail a passing taxi in the street - for a longer taxi ride that's what I'd do, but it's only a five to ten minute ride from the port to the station so probably best to bite the bullet and use a port taxi. But do agree the fare before you get in - I don't know what's reasonable but I wouldn't agree to more than 10 euros or equivalent. You may have to start to walk away for them to quote their lowest price.

Tell the driver you want to go to the station's left-luggage lockers.

There are two sizes of left-luggage locker at the station. I've used the self-same type of locker elsewhere - automatic, but the instructions have always been in English, This website suggests that may not be the case in Istanbul, and explains how it works. Best to print-off & take it with you ;).

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Train/gar_lockers.html

For your day in Istanbul, probably it's best to then do as most tourists do. From the station, that 10-minutes-or-less walk to either Eminonou or Gulhane tram stop and take the tram up the hill to Sultanahmet, which is the stop after Gulhane. The Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii) and adjacent open hippodrome with its Egyptian obelisk are close to the tram stop, and the Roman cistern (Yerebatan Sarnıcı) and the mosque-to-church-to-museum of Hagia Sophia (various spellings) are just yards away. Hagia Sophia is a beautiful building, well worth seeing the exterior but you may not have time to go into the museum - especially if there's a queue.

Topkapi Palace is down the hill from there (nearest tram stop Gulhane) but you cannot see it from the road, and visiting will take a big chunk of your time - a bare 90 minutes but preferably about 3 hours. So skip it, or if you're keen to tour it you'll need to skip other sights.

Alternatively work your way across the hill from Sultanahmet to the top entrance of the Grand Bazaar (Buyuk Carsi) (if you wanted to visit the Grand Bazaar first, you stay on the tram until Beyazıt-Kapalıçarşı).

Walk down through the Grand Bazaar, then to the Spice Bazaar (aka Egyptian Bazaar). You are now back near the Galata Bridge, the waterfront, and train station.

Others may suggest various other permutations of sights & routes - there's no right or wrong, and it also depends on your priorities.

Ataturk airport is an extremely variable 30 to 60 minutes by road, depending on traffic. Again be wary of just hailing a taxi. Most folk pre-book a taxi over the internet, at a cost of around 25 euros or equivalent - no payment with booking, you pay the driver in lire or euros.

You'll not have a base as a pick-up point, which might make it tricky to pre-book - I guess the best bet is to quote a hotel near Sirkeci station as a pick-up point. No personal knowledge, but the closest (2-minute walk) that I found on Booking.com is http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/esen.en-us.html?aid=303948;label=istanbul-vKpQzEuT1NdWhW7mNYNwjQS63753941781%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap12260%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=8e2a8fcba33028c235b27ecb33d7ef90;dcid=1;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0&

But since you'll start at Sirkesi station, there is the option of taking a direct commuter train from the station to Yesilkoy, very close to the airport. Found a post on an internet blog which suggests it, here's the relevant bit:

"....... take the commuter train to Yesilkoy from Sirkeci station. (1.5 lira.) From Yesilkoy you can get a taxi to the airport. The commuter train follows the coast and you can see - from the windows - the old/undeveloped part of Sultanahmet and beyond, the fishing boats and tankers in the marmara sea, and the end of the city wall."

No personal experience, & you may want to research it a little deeper. But I just might try that myself next time. :)

Whatever route you take to the airport, do allow plenty of time for Istanbul's notorious traffic or for any complications if you take the train.

Super city, one of my favourites.

You'll be kicking yourselves that you didn't give yourselves an extra day or two. ;)

John -

You are a fountain of information, and I thank you. Thank you for all the help on this cruise (I'll be sailing with Neil as a matter of fact) and in the past.

I have learned so very much from you over the years preparing for different itineraries when I didn't have the first clue - and you helped me sort things out. You are an asset to the Cruise Critic Community.

Best wishes -

Maddle

Edited by Maddle

Hi Neil,

I've not had this problem, because on the one occasion I've been in that situation I arranged to leave luggage at the hotel we used pre-cruise. If you have a pre-cruise stay in Istanbul, I suggest you do the same - Turkish folk are very obliging.

Otherwise ............

There are left luggage facilities in Taksim http://bagaj.co/eng/#about-bagaj and at Sirkeci train station.

The one at Taksim is a short taxi ride from the new cruise terminal, but in the opposite direction to the main sights. Sirkeci train station is almost-certainly the better bet because it's very little further and much more convenient to the sights.

To get to Sirkeci train station you have two options.

Walk out of the port gate & head for the nearest tram stop. Take a tram heading to your left - it's the direction that virtually all cruisers will be going - and get off at Eminonou (first stop after the tram has crossed Galata Bridge)or the next one, Gulhane. They're both less than a ten minute walk from the station.

But the tram may be crowded & that's no fun with luggage - I know, I've done it :eek:

So because you have luggage, a taxi is much much easier. Unfortunately taxis at the port have a pretty dreadful reputation for ripping-off tourists with high fares (they won't use their meters). You can walk past them & hail a passing taxi in the street - for a longer taxi ride that's what I'd do, but it's only a five to ten minute ride from the port to the station so probably best to bite the bullet and use a port taxi. But do agree the fare before you get in - I don't know what's reasonable but I wouldn't agree to more than 10 euros or equivalent. You may have to start to walk away for them to quote their lowest price.

Tell the driver you want to go to the station's left-luggage lockers.

There are two sizes of left-luggage locker at the station. I've used the self-same type of locker elsewhere - automatic, but the instructions have always been in English, This website suggests that may not be the case in Istanbul, and explains how it works. Best to print-off & take it with you ;).

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Train/gar_lockers.html

For your day in Istanbul, probably it's best to then do as most tourists do. From the station, that 10-minutes-or-less walk to either Eminonou or Gulhane tram stop and take the tram up the hill to Sultanahmet, which is the stop after Gulhane. The Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii) and adjacent open hippodrome with its Egyptian obelisk are close to the tram stop, and the Roman cistern (Yerebatan Sarnıcı) and the mosque-to-church-to-museum of Hagia Sophia (various spellings) are just yards away. Hagia Sophia is a beautiful building, well worth seeing the exterior but you may not have time to go into the museum - especially if there's a queue.

Topkapi Palace is down the hill from there (nearest tram stop Gulhane) but you cannot see it from the road, and visiting will take a big chunk of your time - a bare 90 minutes but preferably about 3 hours. So skip it, or if you're keen to tour it you'll need to skip other sights.

Alternatively work your way across the hill from Sultanahmet to the top entrance of the Grand Bazaar (Buyuk Carsi) (if you wanted to visit the Grand Bazaar first, you stay on the tram until Beyazıt-Kapalıçarşı).

Walk down through the Grand Bazaar, then to the Spice Bazaar (aka Egyptian Bazaar). You are now back near the Galata Bridge, the waterfront, and train station.

Others may suggest various other permutations of sights & routes - there's no right or wrong, and it also depends on your priorities.

Ataturk airport is an extremely variable 30 to 60 minutes by road, depending on traffic. Again be wary of just hailing a taxi. Most folk pre-book a taxi over the internet, at a cost of around 25 euros or equivalent - no payment with booking, you pay the driver in lire or euros.

You'll not have a base as a pick-up point, which might make it tricky to pre-book - I guess the best bet is to quote a hotel near Sirkeci station as a pick-up point. No personal knowledge, but the closest (2-minute walk) that I found on Booking.com is http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/esen.en-us.html?aid=303948;label=istanbul-vKpQzEuT1NdWhW7mNYNwjQS63753941781%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap12260%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=8e2a8fcba33028c235b27ecb33d7ef90;dcid=1;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0&

But since you'll start at Sirkesi station, there is the option of taking a direct commuter train from the station to Yesilkoy, very close to the airport. Found a post on an internet blog which suggests it, here's the relevant bit:

"....... take the commuter train to Yesilkoy from Sirkeci station. (1.5 lira.) From Yesilkoy you can get a taxi to the airport. The commuter train follows the coast and you can see - from the windows - the old/undeveloped part of Sultanahmet and beyond, the fishing boats and tankers in the marmara sea, and the end of the city wall."

No personal experience, & you may want to research it a little deeper. But I just might try that myself next time. :)

Whatever route you take to the airport, do allow plenty of time for Istanbul's notorious traffic or for any complications if you take the train.

Super city, one of my favourites.

You'll be kicking yourselves that you didn't give yourselves an extra day or two. ;)

Dear JB

Thank you so very much for your help. You are indeed a mine of information and I echo exactly what Maddle has said.

It now makes me feel so much better equipped to plan our disembarkation and our limited time in Istanbul. We did want to spend a few extra days there, but unfortunately on this occasion we couldn't - we will just have go back there at some early stage in the future.

Best wishes

Neil