Panama Canal Excursion questions???

emarismom

I have just booked the Norwegian Pearl for Christmas. Do I have to take a ship excursion in order to leave the ship? I that the only option in this port? I have never in 16 cruises done a ship excursion, but I don't think there is any other option.

Am I understanding this correctly?

What port are we talking about? If you are talking a partial transit, where you enter from the Caribbean side, tender pax ashore in Gatun Lake, then go back through the locks and dock at Colon, yes, you will have to be on a ship's excursion to get off the ship in Gatun Lake. I believe it is a Panama law.

If you are on a partial or complete transit, the transit IS an "excursion"! No need to pay to get off the ship...you will see the operation of the locks with explanation on the ship! It's a lovely way to spend the day, roaming about the ship, seeing the locks from all different sides and deck levels.

Yes...if you are anchored Lake Gatun, the only way off is to use the ship's excursions. You do NOT want to be roaming Colon on your own...it's not safe.

Thank you for the clarification. I think we will do some type excursion once we get to the lake. We will have already experienced the first three locks on the trip into the lake, I would want to experience a little more of the country.

All the cruise lines that operate "partial transit" cruises as the Pearl is doing, require you to purchase your tours through the ship at this stop. Although the cruise lines don't mind the monopoly in this case, it really is necessary. Where you tender off the ship there is no real town, no commercial center and no independent transportation available... only your tour transportation. In fact it is practically in the middle of the construction site of the new locks. If for some reason you were able to book a private tour and they did not show up, you would have a completely different shore excursion than you had planned!

There are some great choices among the shore excursions available, whether you do something that is centered around the Canal such as the Ferry trip through the Pacific Locks, visit Gatun Locks and the new expansion locks, take a trip to the Embera Indians or tour Panama City... lots to choose from. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
All the cruise lines that operate "partial transit" cruises as the Pearl is doing, require you to purchase your tours through the ship at this stop. Although the cruise lines don't mind the monopoly in this case, it really is necessary. Where you tender off the ship there is no real town, no commercial center and no independent transportation available... only your tour transportation. In fact it is practically in the middle of the construction site of the new locks. If for some reason you were able to book a private tour and they did not show up, you would have a completely different shore excursion than you had planned!

There are some great choices among the shore excursions available, whether you do something that is centered around the Canal such as the Ferry trip through the Pacific Locks, visit Gatun Locks and the new expansion locks, take a trip to the Embera Indians or tour Panama City... lots to choose from. Enjoy!

Have you done the ferry trip or the Embera Indian tour? I am looking at both of those and honestly having a hard time deciding between the two. Any suggestions or recommendations for a first timer?

Have you done the ferry trip or the Embera Indian tour? I am looking at both of those and honestly having a hard time deciding between the two. Any suggestions or recommendations for a first timer?

I actually have not done the ferry tour through the cruise lines but I have done many many partial transits of the Canal and having lived in Panama a looong time I have been up where the Emberas live on Madden Lake (now called Lago Alajuela) countless times. So I have not been on an "official" shore excursion in Panama.

OK, now that full disclosure is out of the way... Let's look at where your interests are; Are you taking this cruise with the primary purpose to see the Canal or are you just looking for an all around cruise with some unique port calls? If you have a high interest in the Canal then I think the ferry excursion would be the ticket. While not intending to put Gatun Locks and the Atlantic entrance down... you are only seeing about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. You won't get to see Gaillard Cut, Gold Hill and the Continental Divide, the Pacific Locks and two great bridges that span the Canal. This is where a lot of the visual treats of Canal are hiding. On the other hand if you are interested on visiting a people who have not been completely swept up by modern times and is probably as close to a Nat Geo experience that most of us would get to see. You rarely see or hear negative comments on this excursion.

Since I am a nuts and bolts type, I would head for the ferry excursion, but that is just me. There is just too many good choices for too little time!

I actually have not done the ferry tour through the cruise lines but I have done many many partial transits of the Canal and having lived in Panama a looong time I have been up where the Emberas live on Madden Lake (now called Lago Alajuela) countless times. So I have not been on an "official" shore excursion in Panama.

OK, now that full disclosure is out of the way... Let's look at where your interests are; Are you taking this cruise with the primary purpose to see the Canal or are you just looking for an all around cruise with some unique port calls? If you have a high interest in the Canal then I think the ferry excursion would be the ticket. While not intending to put Gatun Locks and the Atlantic entrance down... you are only seeing about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. You won't get to see Gaillard Cut, Gold Hill and the Continental Divide, the Pacific Locks and two great bridges that span the Canal. This is where a lot of the visual treats of Canal are hiding. On the other hand if you are interested on visiting a people who have not been completely swept up by modern times and is probably as close to a Nat Geo experience that most of us would get to see. You rarely see or hear negative comments on this excursion.

Since I am a nuts and bolts type, I would head for the ferry excursion, but that is just me. There is just too many good choices for too little time!

Thank you so much for your input on this. We are going with another couple and am currently waiting to see what their preference may be as we are open either way. The ferry does sound like the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Embera Indian village tour in 2006. It was very interesting. Took an excursion to Panama City for a walking tour there in 2008. At Colon you can get off the ship and walk into the port area. Those years there was only a temporary craft area to see but we got some nice things there. Since that time Panama has taken over and I am expecting to see a little improvement in the Colon port this October. Will see for sure when we get there, but our plans are to walk off and check it out.

• 1 month later...

We are planning a cruise to Colon, Costa Rica and Cartagena and understand that heavy rain occurs frequently.

Not afraid of getting wet (probably relieve the heat!), but wondering how others deal with downpours. I remember being drenched in St. Thomas once during a torrential rain and walking back onto the ship with my hair dripping onto my face!

Planning to bring cheap plastic ponchos, Keene type or other waterproof shoes, shammy's to dry off with/plastic bag to put wet stuff and any packages in.