Viking Rinda docked at le Pecq RER A line

aspen36

We are sailing on the Kadlin...I will email

viking.kadlin.vikingrivercruises.com to see if that works. I do want a reliable answer to this. Trying not to be sad about not waking up in Paris and looking up at the Tour Eiffel. Instead juggling stupid train schedules and schlepping around.

Let me know if you receive a response. I used the email address you listed, as well as a differently email address format someone else posted (concierge.kadlin@vikingcruises.com) and have not received a response.

I called Viking re: their shuttles from Le Pecq to Place de la Concorde. Their rep stated that they will have shuttle vans leaving every 15 mins. In which case, why do you recommend using the RER (?). I am a newbie to Paris so am trying to figure all this out before our trip on the Viking Kadlin in June. 2016. Thoughts?

We just returned from the Paris/Normandy cruise on the Rinda. There were only two shuttles to/from Paris each day we were docked in Le Pecq. Aside from not being docked in Paris, it was a wonderful cruise.

Two additional points: (1) Our Viking "travel agent" strongly suggested that we call him directly, and leave a message rather than send an email, because they constantly get interrupted when they work on emails received. (When I called he always got back to me within a day or so.)

(2) If you will be sailing on the Rinda, Joana is the concierge (concierge.rinda@vikingcruises.com). She was good at responding promptly to emailed questions.

Edited by mort&fran
OOPS! Just noticed you'll be on the Kadlin.

What is stunning is the number of people who cannot say anything constructive about Viking with little personal experience. The cruises are great, so staff in CA "not so".

Well, so far this has been my ONLY personal experience with Viking and I feel cheated and duped. Moving our dock to the remote outskirts of Paris that is not even reached by the train system, then being told by customer service that the shuttles operated every 15 minutes. Only to discover by a knowledgeable Viking employee that they actually only operate shuttles once or twice a day is not what I look for in a travel partner. They certainly knew this major change when we booked in January and did not mention it. I worked in wholesale travel

for quite a while; passengers should at least be getting compensation in the form of cash back, or a voucher to use on board. It is not even remotely acceptable to not mention this major change during booking. We would simply have booked another cruise line that docks in PARIS, under the Eiffel tower as advertised.

Hello villagirl,

this is the current wording on the change to LePecq on the Viking website: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/paris-heart-normandy/2016-paris-rouen-paris/index.html#itineraryday/1

I have no idea how long this has been up there, but the issue has been an ungoing debate here on CC and there are two threads dedicated to that. Basically, Viking used to dock in the vicinity of the Eiffel Tower but all the longships have been moved out to LePecq. This happened last year and was due to be changed, i.e. Viking was working with the authorities to reverse their decision. It appears the authorities have not done so and it looks as if LePecq is now the standard port for Viking seeing that from this year or next (you would need to check that fact online or in the brochure) they no longer operate the older 110m boats on the Seine.

It appears the problem is the length of the longships; incidentally, Arosa (a German company) will launch Seine tours next year and they use a 135m boats as well. It will be interesting to see if Arosa will be in LePecq or Paris centre, or somewhere else entirely.

What is an additional disappointment as regards LePecq, in my opinion, is the fact that you also miss out three loops of the Seine, sailing from LePecq downstream, that is. Playing around on google maps a bit, I gather it is around 56 kilometres.

Here is the first thread that brought this matter to CC's attention: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2273487

It would be nice of Viking to give some voucher of sorts for public transport as a token to make up for the inconvenience, I think.

Nevertheless I am sure the trip will be great otherwise.

Have fun and eat lots of whatever you like of French food. I personally recommend pain au chocolat from a traditional family baker... Yummy.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
details corrected and link added

Let me know if you receive a response. I used the email address you listed, as well as a differently email address format someone else posted (concierge.kadlin@vikingcruises.com) and have not received a response.

They did write back fast and accurately, I sure didn't like the reply! :(

I received an immediate response from the Kadlin email address format that MikeyB posted. I liked the response I received and it was a completely opposite answer to that I received when writing their corporate offices.

Sharing this information would be helpful to other Viking passengers sailing out of Paris. Please do not keep the shuttle info a secret ;)

The mystery is one of the prior posters like their answers and the other didn't. This is bound to creat confusion with readers here on CC.

Edited by JVilleGal

Sharing this information would be helpful to other Viking passengers sailing out of Paris. Please do not keep the shuttle info a secret ;)

The mystery is one of the prior posters like their answers and the other didn't. This is bound to creat confusion with readers here on CC.

Sorry I didn't share this because my situation may be different since I am booked with a 3 night pre stay with Viking that includes transfers. I wanted to be sure that after we check out of our hotel on embarkation day that we be allowed to send our bags ahead to the boat and remain in Paris for the remainder of the day instead of shuttling back and forth. I was told they will allow this and take our bags earlier. Here are the options we were given for return:

"You and your group are more than welcome to join one of the transfers from Paris provided by Viking back to the Kadlin, one at 5 Pm or the one at 9 Pm , however kindly note that the pickup place it is a different address from the Rochester Hotel :

· COURS DE LA REINE NEAR GRAND PALAIS please refer to the attached link for the map for your reference ( our shuttle bus will be near the Winston Churchill statue and will display a Viking Sign on the front)"

Has anyone tried using the RER A to get in and out of Paris to try and tour on your own?

It looks like it might be less than a mile walk to the RER A stop at

Saint-Germain-en-Laye but without knowing where the boat docks I'm not sure if it is walkable or not.

WE will be in Le Pecq in a few weeks.

Saint-Germain-en-Laye is the first stop for the RER A -1 .

The second stop - Le Vesinet / Le Pecq seems shorter, and easier as a walk from Le Pecq, just across the bridge.

http://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/a_jo_mlv.pdf

Let me know if this PDF (above) works, and is understandable.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

We, my wife and I, were in Paris last fall.

The transit(METRO) ticket machine at did not accept our USA credit card.

Also, it did not accept Euro bills (paper money).

We had to go back to our hotel at La Défense, to get Euro coins to enter into the ticket machine.

Should we get coins in advance, or is this trip going to be different?

Edited by $hip$hape

$hip$hape, I've found cc use in unattended kiosks to be hit or miss. We do this a lot and my personal experience is that it *almost* always works. The particular card we use most frequently is a BofA Travel Rewards Visa. It is chip and sign, but it has a PIN - theoretically for ATM use only. However, I've used it in kiosks all over Europe and it often prompts for a PIN anyway. My PIN works in those circumstances. Others have had different experiences. I know of no way to be sure other than to try it.

WE will be in Le Pecq in a few weeks.

Saint-Germain-en-Laye is the first stop for the RER A -1 .

The second stop - Le Vesinet / Le Pecq seems shorter, and easier as a walk from Le Pecq, just across the bridge.

Yes the PDF works for me.

I looked on a map and the end station looks a smidge closer to the docking location than the station you mention. But Google says that the walking distance is 1.3 km compared to 1.5 to Saint-Germain-en-Laye. So I apparently need my eyes checked! Either one should work, then. :)

We had to go back to our hotel at La Défense, to get Euro coins to enter into the ticket machine.

Did the card have a chip, or only a mag stripe?

They did write back fast and accurately, I sure didn't like the reply! :(

Did the card have a chip, or only a mag stripe?

In our case last year we had US chipped (Chip & sign) and the unattended kiosks worked occasionally for us but not even 1/2 the time. So I just planned on them not working and was surprised a couple of times.

What's ironic is that if you go to Google street view and look up "quai de la grenelle", you can see the Viking Spirit, docked there! Eiffel tower is clearly in sight. Viking no longer uses that ship, ergo, they are not allowed to dock their longships there.

We'll know when google updates the images when the Viking ship is no longer visible there........

I used a credit card for the Metro earlier this month without a problem. I don't recall if I also used it for the RER, but I believe both use the same system so if it worked for one it should for the other.

That being said, it won't hurt to have coins on hand. (E.g., needed for some of the public bathrooms).

The answer I received which is posted further up on this thread. Is Viking will run one possibly two shuttles (11:30 a, 2:30 p) into Paris. And one return at 5:30 pm from Paris. They are docked so far outside Paris that they are beyond the metro system, you have to walk 19 minutes, then board a metro car (20 minutess I think) to get to Paris. Not so good for passengers with mobility issues me thinks. They absolutley knew this when they booked you and failed to mention it up front. I DO think I will get in touch with the nice young man who booked me and give him an earful. I have extensive background in group travel and shizz happens; it is part of the business. BUT you inform the passengers, you compensate them, and you make it right. NOT sending this!

I don't know when it was added (at least a couple of months ago and probably longer), but the docking location is clear on the website now, so we should be in the last cycles of people for whom this is a surprise I would hope...

I don't know when it was added (at least a couple of months ago and probably longer), but the docking location is clear on the website now, so we should be in the last cycles of people for whom this is a surprise I would hope...

I booked in December, but was considering this cruise since last August and it was clear to me all along that this boat was docked outside of Paris. There weren't any neon lights stating this anywhere but when I did a little probing on the matter, it was clear to me.