Balcony dinning

jerseyaxn

Here is a link to one of the threads about the UBD:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1541934

We've enjoyed the UBD several times & for $100/couple you receive nearly $100 in extras: cocktails, flowers, photo, half bottle of champagne (we exchange it for a full bottle of $32 wine) and specialty coffee drinks.

There is a standard surf and turf menu which can be modified and is served by tuxedoed waiters who magically reappear when you're ready for the next course. We prefer to have the UBD during an evening in port or during sailway to increase the odds of having better weather. Even the time inclement weather forced us inside our cabin it was still a wonderful experience for us.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just off the Royal and the UBD will be very cozy on the majority of her balconies...two chairs and a small table, not large enough for two plates. Most of the food will be served from your stateroom.

We did the UBD twice on the Coral and the Island (much larger balconies) and it was excellent.

Just off the Royal and the UBD will be very cozy on the majority of her balconies...two chairs and a small table, not large enough for two plates. Most of the food will be served from your stateroom.

Still works and is better then an inside. ;)

When we had the UBD, they brought a separate table for us--did not try to make us eat from the small table that was on our balcony. We've done it three times. It's one of my favorite treats.

When we did both UBB and UBD, it was on Alaska sailing and Hawaii--

weather was comfortable enough that we were able to enjoy our meals on the balcony---I really don't want to eat inside the cabin, as the whole point is to enjoy the balcony. So I'm trying to figure out if weather is comfortable enough for panama canal sailing to do these dinners. It seems that there was only a little positive feedback for balcony dinners for this itinerary--

When we had the UBD, they brought a separate table for us--did not try to make us eat from the small table that was on our balcony. We've done it three times. It's one of my favorite treats.

Same here. They always bring a table no matter what size balcony you are on.:)

When we did both UBB and UBD, it was on Alaska sailing and Hawaii--

weather was comfortable enough that we were able to enjoy our meals on the balcony---I really don't want to eat inside the cabin, as the whole point is to enjoy the balcony. So I'm trying to figure out if weather is comfortable enough for panama canal sailing to do these dinners. It seems that there was only a little positive feedback for balcony dinners for this itinerary--

I don't know if you're sailing a partial or full transit of the Canal but when we did the full transit we enjoyed the UBD during sailaway from Puntarenas Costa Rica.

We did the UBD twice on the Coral and the Island (much larger balconies) and it was excellent.

Most Princess balconies are 9' wide so it's mostly the depth that varies.

We had the UBD on a standard (9'x5') balcony on the Island & also on the Royal (9'x4') and both were cozy in comparison to when we had it on a large 9'x9' Caribe deck balcony. We enjoyed all of them & had sufficient room on the tables they bring for the UBD.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Any CC folks do the UBD on a Royal/Regal "normal" balcony? Curious about how it worked out. Our UBD food experience has been excellent, but we're wondering about the service set up since we'll be on the Royal this fall. Thanks.