Female Captain Announced

CruisingChick

Congrats to her and Celebrity, it will be nice to have a Captain who we can understand when announcements will be made.

I said the same thing when I read the report.

We congratulate Capt. McCue and look forward to sailing with her in September.

"Hope she continues the recent cruise around the Statue of Liberty like the recent captain has been doing"

Expect her to be able to do it "backwards and in high heels" like the famous Ginger Rogers.:)

Yes! While burping a baby and cooking dinner at the same time without skipping a beat. All in a day for a female. Easy Peasey!

You go girl!

"Hope she continues the recent cruise around the Statue of Liberty like the recent captain has been doing"

Expect her to be able to do it "backwards and in high heels" like the famous Ginger Rogers.:)

Who is or was Ginger Rogers??

I hope this works out for the new Captain and Celebrity. The new Captain only has 15 years experience with some of that in "logistics". I wonder if the new Captain was really the most qualified person in Celebrity's pool of potential Captains. When all of you are cruising on her ship and your are in some bad weather, please ask yourself if gender or experince is the most important factor.

I hope this works out for the new Captain and Celebrity. The new Captain only has 15 years experience with some of that in "logistics". I wonder if the new Captain was really the most qualified person in Celebrity's pool of potential Captains. When all of you are cruising on her ship and your are in some bad weather, please ask yourself if gender or experince is the most important factor.

Captain Leo (Summit's current master) is also quite young -- 37, I think. For someone with far less experience than some of the older Captains, he manages to cross the Atlantic and navigate Bermuda's tricky, reef-ridden coastal waters, week after week. And, if you think that's an easy task, just ask the Captain who got the Norwegian Gem stuck on a reef in the Bermuda channel, a couple of months ago. :eek: Captain Leo is also legendary with the Summit crew, for his attempt to outrun Hurricane Cristobal, as it headed for Bermuda, last year. Unfortunately, he had to divert to the Bahamas at the last minute, but his passengers and ship returned safely. Long story short: age and experience are great, but they aren't everything. :cool:

I thought the verbiage in the press releases was sort of CV type of things, listing her "many certifications", which all masters have to get. If you notice, her time in "logistics" was while sailing. This is HR speak for managing the loading of the ship, the ordering of deck supplies, etc. Knowing the cruise industry, she has paid her dues, having sailed in the thankless position of Staff Captain for a few years.

The fact that most US maritime unions allow retirement after 20 years, shows that she is well into her career. I respect her gender and her experience, which is about average, or top end average, for promotion to Captain. My only comments on this thread were to somewhat deflate the hoopla over her promotion, since she was far from the first.

When commenting on someone's qualifications in an industry you probably know very little about, you come off sounding exceedingly misogynistic. You do realize that the position of Staff Captain requires a Master's license, so she has been qualified for the position for a while.

I thought the verbiage in the press releases was sort of CV type of things, listing her "many certifications", which all masters have to get. If you notice, her time in "logistics" was while sailing. This is HR speak for managing the loading of the ship, the ordering of deck supplies, etc. Knowing the cruise industry, she has paid her dues, having sailed in the thankless position of Staff Captain for a few years.

The fact that most US maritime unions allow retirement after 20 years, shows that she is well into her career. I respect her gender and her experience, which is about average, or top end average, for promotion to Captain. My only comments on this thread were to somewhat deflate the hoopla over her promotion, since she was far from the first.

When commenting on someone's qualifications in an industry you probably know very little about, you come off sounding exceedingly misogynistic. You do realize that the position of Staff Captain requires a Master's license, so she has been qualified for the position for a while.

I think the press release also made it very clear that she is the first American female captain for the mega-ton cruise industry.

Most of the new generation of Captains were promoted at approximately her age or even earlier. Since she is the first woman to Captain a Celebrity ship I'm sure she is more than qualified.