Istanbul Cruise Port transfer to Hotel

I have been reading the warnings about avoiding taxi's at the port. Any suggestions on the best way to get to Four Seasons Sultanhamet? I am sure they would be happy to arrange a very expensive transfer but I would like to consider other options. I'd rather not schlep to the tram.

Count us among those who have posted warnings about Istanbul taxis. However, that does not mean one should not use a taxi. It is just a matter of being aware of the "games" some drivers play and dealing with issues that might arise. Basically, make sure they reset the meter (and use the meter) unless you agree on a set price before you get in the taxi! And if they do use the meter (which is proper) it is not a bad idea to review a map of the city and know the approximate direction :). Even if the driver tries to pad the fare is will still be a heck of a lot cheaper then $259 :).

And by the way, you are staying in an excellent hotel. DD recently spent some time there and loved the place.

Hank

Thanks for the responses. We may just take a chance on the taxi's but if there is a reasonably priced prvt. car or ability to reserve a taxi I would consider that. I booked my hotel independently but thought I would check on Silver Sea's package that includes group transfer from dock, 3 nights in Four Seasons and prvt. transfer to the airport and the price was more than double the price of my booked room...only about $1500 more! Now that's pricey for basically 2 transfers.

Oceania's cost is $259 for the transfer from the pier to your hotel. I have been looking at Trip Advisor and will probably go with Efendi, a local tour company. Their prices are reasonable and the locals recommend them.

You've got to be kidding. $259- for a car ride of less than 2 miles?

I doubt if they are kidding. Cruise line transfers are usually outrageous although not quite this bad. Just look at US ports like FLL where the cruise lines will usually charge more for a single transfer then an entire taxi (which can carry multiple persons). But there are still many cruisers that feel the need to rely on cruise lines for their hotel and transfer needs without any concern for the cost.

Hank

That won't be for the transfer - it'll mainly be the difference between what the cruise line charges for the hotel & what the OP can get it for by booking direct. ;)

I doubt the taxi drivers stationed at the cruise port will be prepared to use their meters - they probably still pay a fee for the rights at the port (though I can't be too sure cos the cruise terminal has been replaced with a spanking new one at a different gate) and make up that fee and more on top by over-charging.

Walking past those taxis & hailing a passing metered taxi in the street would probably work out cheaper - for a longer run such as to the airport that's what I'd do if I hadn't pre-booked, cos the difference would be significant. But for that short journey you might find it easier to simply bite the bullet & pay over-the-odds either by pre-booking via your hotel or using a port taxi. The taxi drivers will almost certainly tout you as you walk past - get them to quote a price, and if you decline & walk on they'll counter with their best price.

At a guess, very much a ball-park figure, the rate for a metered taxi should be in the order of 10 euros or equivalent, so perhaps set a ceiling of 15 euros for a hotel-booked or port taxi.

The tram is a great way to get to & from Sultanahmet - but not with luggage :eek:

As well as the schlepping of luggage to the tram stop (and a fair walk with luggage from tram to your hotel), the tram will be no fun with luggage if it's crowded. Being a cheap-skate, I have personal experience of doing just that and have still not been forgiven by 'er-indoors :D

Great city, one of my favourites

JB :)

ps to Hank. Did you get my e-mail & link?

I would e mail the four seasons hotel and ask for a recommendation for a car service. They likely could book it for you.

And I would not take a taxi.

Keith

Great suggestion!

That's what we've done, although it's from the airport to our hotel. It was a very reasonable price.

Great suggestion!

That's what we've done, although it's from the airport to our hotel. It was a very reasonable price.

It's the taxis taken on-spec at the port that are fraught & over-priced.:eek:

Pre-booked transfers to or from the airport are good value and reliable. :)

The going rate pre-booked from Ataturk airport is around 25 euros or Turkish equivalent - if your hotel's price is around that figure, that's fine.

Edited by John Bull

I guess four fit adults with reasonable rolling luggage could walk from the cruise port to the Kabitas ferry in 15 minutes but I don't know the frequency of the ferries to the various jetties on the Asian side, or what the ferry is like with luggage, or of course how far from ferry to your hotel.

Ferries are frequent from Eminonou (across the Golden Horn from the cruise port), or there's a new rail link from near there under the Bosphorus - but you'd need a taxi, or a tram ride (but not with luggage), from the cruise port to Eminonou.

The alternative is a taxi from cruise port to hotel, using the bridge over the Bosphorus. Should be the obvious choice, but like others on this forum I deeply mistrust the taxis stationed at the cruise port - and I can't even suggest what it should cost for that journey or the toll fee to use the bridge.

Perhaps others can come up with a ball-park figure?

It's probably far enough to be worth booking on-line. E-mail some of those offering airport transfers?

Edited by John Bull

In september we used the cabs from the port with no issue other than the cab line. If you are concerned call the hotel and ask them to make arrangements. Walking with luggage to ferry is a long crowded walk.

Edited by hathaway42

I've read lots about the taxi situation in Istanbul, and certainly can understand that the ones near the port might be the worst. However, isn't there a board posted with taxi rates on it? Can't you just agree on the posted rate with the cabbie and go?

Of course, someone I know used a cab in April and was dropped off a half mile from her hotel - not nice! Me? I plan to use the tram when I can, and pre-book a taxi when I can't. I hate deception.

This Youtube video clip 'Istanbul Turkey Salipazari Pier Walking from Ship to City' is a useful guide to the exit from the cruise dock in Istanbul. I shows there is now a list of taxi fares as you exit the terminal.

I have been reading the warnings about avoiding taxi's at the port. Any suggestions on the best way to get to Four Seasons Sultanhamet? I am sure they would be happy to arrange a very expensive transfer but I would like to consider other options. I'd rather not schlep to the tram.

We just returned from a cruise that included a pre-cruise stay at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet. The best thing I can tell you is to make sure your taxi driver knows you are going to the 4S in Sultanahment, and NOT the 4S Bosphorus! Additionally, take something that has the actual street address written out and/or a printed map with the hotel site clearly marked.

I specifically said "Four Seasons Sultanahment" to our driver and he nodded in agreement. We started driving and all seemed fine. After a bit, I was curious as to how close we were so took out my phone to pull up the GPS map feature. We seemed to be heading to the right area, but then we went all the way around it. At first I thought well maybe due to the many one way roads it's easier to get there from the other direction. I said again to the driver "4S Sultanahmet and showed him the printed confirmation with the full hotel name on it'" and he said "yes, four seasons." Well next thing I knew we were headed toward the Galata bridge. I told him we were going the wrong way and he pointed ahead and said "Four Seasons" and drove onto the bridge. At that point I was fuming and had to show him the Four Seasons Sultanahment pinpoint on my phone map. I don't think he was trying to rip us off intentionally, I just think that he had no idea there were 2 different 4S, and unfortunately he only knew the other one, because once we turned around he kept asking people on every corner which way to turn. He even called someone on his cell phone and from what I could make out, he was trying to get a street name that it was on (my printed confirmation that I had did not show the street address). At one point he asked to see the map on my phone again.

When I mentioned our taxi journey to someone at the hotel, they told us that unfortunately, to be a taxi driver in Istanbul there is nothing required other than to have a drivers license, so drivers do not have to take any kind of test that proves they know their way around the city, or that they know where major hotels are or anything like that. And it doesn't help that the roads in the Sultanahmet area are a jumble of streets going in every direction (nothing like NYC where the city is laid out in square city blocks) and many are one way.

In hindsight, I would have let the 4S arrange a driver and paid whatever they charged!

Edited by waterbug123