I am one of the few that had a horrible experience on an Alaskan cruise

lwayneman

Where did you hear that?

We have not seen that.

Witnessed it on a Med B2B last week on the Emerald. Saw deck attendants cleaning rooms on turnaround day. It's probably the only way rooms can be ready for occupancy upon boarding. We found a mess in the bathroom once or twice on past cruises, but contacting the steward yielded sincere apologies and quick remediation.

Our last two cruises were on the Golden but to Hawaii. We had a fun time on both cruises as we did on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska (RT from Seattle) eleven years ago.

We're not foodies at all (our only meal in a specialty restaurant was a complimentary one in Sabatinis on our last cruise) so we're fine with eating in the MDR (traditional so we don't have to concern ourselves with reservations or a wait in line -- we just didn't care for our one time in Anytime), the Horizon (especially for breakfast and lunch), the International Cafe, the poolside grill... I don't get the comment about wrapping -- was the OP talking about the pre-prepared sandwiches -- nothing else was wrapped.

We haven't been to an IA so can't compare, but my hubby was actually looking at some online last month for travel ideas (he just retired ten days ago:) and he thinks from what he read that a cruise would be more fun for us. We love sea days so that probably played a part -- on a cruise ship you can just look out into the horizon and feel peace. On an Alaskan cruise you get all that great scenery too.

For our Alaskan cruise, I did the research for the ports. My hubby's big request on a cruise is no rental cars and we didn't feel the need. We did book a tour on the Ketchikan pier and hubby didn't care for the vehicle. In Skagway we had an afternoon tour booked (a comfy van that paralleled the train, and hubby noted he felt this was better -- no diesel fumes -- and we saw plenty of great scenery up in the Yukon pass). In the morning, we walked around on our own and ran into a ranger giving a town tour and followed them to the Moore House, now a museum. If you had read up on the history of the town, you would know about the Moores. I would recommend this museum. In Juneau, we walked around on our own. In Victoria, we got a shuttle bus to the Empress -- it was pouring rain, so after checking it out, we walked around to the Miniature Museum, which entertained us for hours. It had stopped raining by then, so we walked around the downtown area.

I carefully planned everything with knowledge from cruise critic and trip advisor.

Everything was wonderful: great excursions from both private and Princess- the crew and mid ship balcony cabin were great- nice room steward. But, unfortunately the food was so horrible on this sailing- I asked others to see if it was just me- it was the first cruise where I lost 5 pounds-- I was on the Island for Hawaii- food wasn't particularly good, but not bad enough to be any issue.

Friends of ours was on the Diamond in Austrailia/New Zealand and couldn't believe how really awful the food was on their sailing. I have to say that if food isn't at least adequate, it really can ruin the entire cruise as you are not supposed to go around hungry! So that part of the op hating his cruise, I really can understand. Just for the record, we were on the Royal and the food was really good. The best that I had on a Princess cruise. Now we will be on the Coral (food seems to be ok to excellent from recent feedback)

But I think that if you check as much information as possible before booking, then you have reasonable expectations of what to expect and can control much of your experience to work the way you want it to. Not all land all inclusives are created equal as well.

Witnessed it on a Med B2B last week on the Emerald. Saw deck attendants cleaning rooms on turnaround day. It's probably the only way rooms can be ready for occupancy upon boarding. We found a mess in the bathroom once or twice on past cruises, but contacting the steward yielded sincere apologies and quick remediation.

Deck attendants or other crew help cleaning the rooms yes, additional people boarding the ship to clean no.

Originally Posted by mevs904 View Post

I've heard that on disembarkation day additional staff boards the ship to assist in turning around the cabins. The standards should still be the same and there should be some oversight, but this may explain some of the dirty cabin stories. It would seem that the regular steward would want to do his or her best to make a good first impression.

I do not know if they bring other's onboard on turn around days, but I do know that there are "helpers" to get the cabins ready. Stewards are extremely busy and the added hands for stripping the bed and cleaning are most welcomed. These helpers appear out of no where. During the cruise, the only ones allowed into your cabin to clean is your steward.

Yes they have done this for awhile.

It is easy for us experienced cruisers to tell this poster that they should have done better research, should have done this-or-that differently onboard, or should not make an issue out of what we believe should just be accepted as the norm. Also quite unfair.

Let me just add this: if the 10 day round trip Alaska from San Francisco had been my first Princess cruise--or even my first cruise at all--it likely would have been my last. It is an itinerary best taken by those who prefer (or at least rate as equal) sea days to port days. In time I have grown into a cruiser who on sea days doesn't care about the weather, about what time I eat, about what the other passengers and crew are up to. But fifteen years ago when I took this cruise (which was probably the second or third one chosen and paid for by me and not my family) I probably would have posted something similar had there been a Cruise Critic to do so on.

Claiming that the OP's reaction is his own fault for the very normal act of comparing the cruise to his past experience with AI vacations (what else can we make comparisons with but with what we actually know about?) and giving them the condescending finger-wagging "you didn't do your research" retort will not help them consider whether or not to take another cruise in the future.

Well said, Fishywood. I wouldn't mind running into you on a future cruise.

On my two most recent Alaskan cruises, I have been really surprised how many first time cruisers are on board. As much as I love Alaska, it wouldn't be my choice for my first cruise. It's expensive with tempermental weather and not a typical, "sit by the pool and relax" vacation. We only hear from people who post on CC, but I wonder how many never take another cruise after Alaska becuase it's not exactly what they expected?

On my two most recent Alaskan cruises, I have been really surprised how many first time cruisers are on board. As much as I love Alaska, it wouldn't be my choice for my first cruise. It's expensive with tempermental weather and not a typical, "sit by the pool and relax" vacation. We only hear from people who post on CC, but I wonder how many never take another cruise after Alaska becuase it's not exactly what they expected?

Good question. We have friends that are doing a cruise (with a land tour first) on Holland the first of September. They are going with some friends that have been before. We will certainly be interested in their take on their trip/cruise. :cool:

I've heard that on disembarkation day additional staff boards the ship to assist in turning around the cabins. The standards should still be the same and there should be some oversight, but this may explain some of the dirty cabin stories. It would seem that the regular steward would want to do his or her best to make a good first impression.

With forty+ years of cruising (more then 3 years on ships) and quite a few friends among cruise line staff, this is one of strangest (and inaccurate comments) we have ever seen on CC. Amazing what the rumor mill can spurn. So here are the facts (for you). All the housecleaning staff on ships are under contracts (it can vary from 6 months to 9 months depending on the cruise line). There are no additional "helpers" brought on at ports and this actually would be very difficult given the various rules imposed by Immigration of various countries. If you do see some staff coming on a ship early in the morning they are simply crew coming aboard to begin their new contract. There are also staff that will be getting off at many ports because their contract is over and they are on their way home.

As to "dirty cabin" stories....yes it can happen if a steward messes up! There is no excuse and a quick call to Guest Services (or a word to your steward if you can find him/her) should remedy the situation. We would add that in more then 3 years on cruise ships (as a passenger) with 14 cruise lines we have never experienced a problem with a dirty cabin. As to why it does happen, most cruise lines have now moved to a "team" concept where stewards work in teams of 2. This means your cabin might be serviced by either of 2 stewards and is some cases by both at the same time. We have been told that sometimes (and this is rare) the left hand might not know what the right hand is doing...and something gets missed. But this is rare because the stewards do keep records (often on a clipboard) and keep track of which cabins have been serviced (and when).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Buffets are Buffets. We find them best for breakfast and lunch.

I am a Princess loyalist, I love everything about it, but I think the "hot food" in the buffets couldn't be any worse. Just disgusting! I wonder if Princess buys frozen buffet food from the same vendor that sells that vile coffee syrup.:-)

The Buffets in the Rio, Bellagio, Venetian, Wynn and Aria hotels in Las Vegas, put out excellent food for thousands of people every day.

Edited by MTJSR

Some years ago we watched a show on PBS about "jobs". The head of a company went to work doing regular jobs in their company. This was a early version of "Undercover Boss" but they weren't undercover. In one of the shows the then head of Carnival Cruises went on one of the ships and worked with the crew at various jobs. He worked with a female cabin steward. She told him that "turnaround day" was the hardest day and she sometimes "hired" another crew member to help her get the cabins ready. She paid that person out of her wages. This was someone already on the ship not someone bought on to help out. Probably someone who didn't start work until later in the day. Maybe this isn't allowed anymore.

Please no "flaming". I'm only tell you what I remember from the show.

<<<Karen>>>

Some years ago we watched a show on PBS about "jobs". The head of a company went to work doing regular jobs in their company. This was a early version of "Undercover Boss" but they weren't undercover. In one of the shows the then head of Carnival Cruises went on one of the ships and worked with the crew at various jobs. He worked with a female cabin steward. She told him that "turnaround day" was the hardest day and she sometimes "hired" another crew member to help her get the cabins ready. She paid that person out of her wages. This was someone already on the ship not someone bought on to help out. Probably someone who didn't start work until later in the day. Maybe this isn't allowed anymore.

Please no "flaming". I'm only tell you what I remember from the show.

<<<Karen>>>

Hi Karen, you are correct this does still happen. Although they do assign crew on turnaround day under normal circumstances.

Skagway is one of the best places to rent a car to drive into the Yukon! Super easy to do and a highlight for many on the alaskan cruise.

Juneau is pretty compact and I am not sure where you would go except to Mendenhall Glacier, which has buses and easy taxi service.

Ketchikan is a nice place to arrange for a tour to take you out to many of the lakes and trails to see the wildlife. The area is pretty linear and the car rental process would take away from the visit. There are a bunch of locals who can show you the area for about the same cost as a rental.

Sorry the OP had a bad cruise. Frankly, our focus on a cruise is just relaxation and enjoying the experience. Some feel the need to judge and rate everything which is the opposite of what we are doing.

Happy Cruising:D:D

OP...sorry to hear about your unfortunate on board experience ~ we all want cleanliness & I've been lucky on all cruises but my last where it didn't seem that the cabin had been cleaned at all. :eek: Perhaps you could have done a bit more research on boards such as this with respect to excursions. Alaska was one of my favorite cruises/land excursions and can't wait to get back. We had excursions in every port that we set up ourselves and, yes, that train that you heard about ~ fantastic. All inclusives may be a better bet for you. Done my share of those as well & if you just want to go & veg & be waited on ~ that is the best place to do it.

And I am not trying to ruin any one else's good time.... Just explaining my experience. Do not take it personal. I am glad you have fun on cruises. Shoot maybe I just need more experience at it... :)

No one can ruin you from having a good time. Cruising is not for everyone. I'd be bored to death at an all inclusive, been to one and never again. I've been on a couple of cruises that wasn't up to par, and I've never cruised on those ships again. It's what you get use to, we've never been on a bad Alaskan cruise.

Interesting analysis.

It is my impression that the OP was more concerned about the Princess product offering; and less about a cruise versus inclusive land based resort.

The focus was on the misses in the Princess product, service, protocols, philosophy etc from what the OP expected. What seemed evident is that the OP is used to (or expected) a higher product experience than what was provided by Princess. Whether this was due to lack of research on part of the OP and/or Princess's (and all other cruise lines) ever declining standards we will not know.

I for one had all the OP's issues on my last 3 Celebrity cruises - particularly the persistent harrassment to buy this and that on Celebrity and wait staff that have no time to adjust your dining room preferences (table placement and size) cause they are overwhelmed. My room steward on the last cruise told me that 5 additional cabins were added to each room steward's accountability. Service standards are heading lower.

I also agree with a previous poster that cruising is no longer "special" ie different from a land based resort.

Cruising has sold the notation that cruising is more high end than land based. You know, endless buffets with gorgeous food and ice carvings (gone), the candle light dinners in the advertisements (now extra charge) etc. I suspect the OP was yet another casualty of this now outdated expectation.

ABoatNerd

[quote=ABoatNerd;47133342

I for one had all the OP's issues on my last 3 Celebrity cruises - particularly the persistent harrassment to buy this and that on Celebrity and wait staff that have no time to adjust your dining room preferences (table placement and size) cause they are overwhelmed. My room steward on the last cruise told me that 5 additional cabins were added to each room steward's accountability. Service standards are heading lower.

Was that last cruise on Princess or Celebrity?

It is easy for us experienced cruisers to tell this poster that they should have done better research, should have done this-or-that differently onboard, or should not make an issue out of what we believe should just be accepted as the norm. Also quite unfair.

Let me just add this: if the 10 day round trip Alaska from San Francisco had been my first Princess cruise--or even my first cruise at all--it likely would have been my last. It is an itinerary best taken by those who prefer (or at least rate as equal) sea days to port days. In time I have grown into a cruiser who on sea days doesn't care about the weather, about what time I eat, about what the other passengers and crew are up to. But fifteen years ago when I took this cruise (which was probably the second or third one chosen and paid for by me and not my family) I probably would have posted something similar had there been a Cruise Critic to do so on.

Claiming that the OP's reaction is his own fault for the very normal act of comparing the cruise to his past experience with AI vacations (what else can we make comparisons with but with what we actually know about?) and giving them the condescending finger-wagging "you didn't do your research" retort will not help them consider whether or not to take another cruise in the future.

Thank You, I get so sick of reading so many condescending replies that of course it's all your own fault.

I do not think it is just Princess .... a recent poster asked the question below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABoatNerd;47133342

I for one had all the OP's issues on my last 3 Celebrity cruises - particularly the persistent harrassment to buy this and that on Celebrity and wait staff that have no time to adjust your dining room preferences (table placement and size) cause they are overwhelmed. [color=Red

My room steward on the last cruise told me that 5 additional cabins were added to each room steward's accountability.[/color] Service standards are heading lower.

Was that last cruise on Princess or Celebrity?

My last 3 Celebrity cruises all had the same degraded service and experience situation similar to as described by the OP. The Infinity south america in Jan 2015 was the most recent. The room was not established to appropriate standards - whimpy wrinkled sheets and towels (reported by many on the Celebrity forum), dirt on window, mold in bathroom in multiple places and lint and hairs on sheets and furniture. Combined with the cheap hawking of stuff like chains on a rope with a loud boom box which drove everyone away and the never ending art shopping. The best were staff from the extra charge restaurants harrassing guests eating lunch on the outdoor deck - we were repeatedly attacked by them while eating. After 3 return attempts on us and many others I stood up and told them to stop or I will report them to guest relations and post on CC. They left to the relief of all.

My earlier point is that the cruise experience is falling quickly away from the original vision of high quality and a common experience for all. New cruisers like the OP may have the old vision in mind when they book, so there will be a expectation delta.

My friends only do high end all inclusive resorts - their description of food, service, feeling of the resort, enforcement of dress codes, cleanliness now Exceeds that I get on Celebrity, Cunard and Princess. The price is virtually the same.

I get where the OP was coming from. Cruising is on the great rush to the bottom - using fancy ships and gadgets to distract consumers from the essentials like food, service etc. With the many obedient consumers out there, they should be successful.

ABoatNerd

No the trip to Mexico was one of those 3 day cruises. I just do not think the cruise life is for us...

Again... do not take it personal... holy cow.. it is an honest review of OUR experience.

It is an honest review and no I don't take it personally. We luv cruising and plan our 14th. next winter if we don't sneak one before then. :) However its not for everyone. No worries. We have done a bunch of AI's too but for us cruising is the way to go. I don't get frazzled by what others say about cruising as I know what I like and thats not for everyone. C'est las vie.:)

I heard the train ride was awesome and the ferry ride to the excursions in haines is good.

The train in Skagway is excellent Dahling, and one has to enjoy the moment.

It is suggested to one, that one does not take a cruise anymore and one should understand this is not a suitable vacation for you.

Edited by Rhubarbtart
Go Rhubarb. Go tart. Rhubarb is the best

Thank You, I get so sick of reading so many condescending replies that of course it's all your own fault.

The train in Skagway is excellent Dahling, and one has to enjoy the moment.

It is suggested to one, that one does not take a cruise anymore and one should understand this is not a suitable vacation for you.

Thanks for the chuckle.....:cool:

Thanks for the chuckle.....:cool:

I respect the OP's opinion.

Agree with the 'dirty cabin' complaint

Cruising does not compare with all inclusive vacations, two different experiences & cruising isn't for everyone.....:)

I hope you filled out your post cruise evaluation in addition to posting on CC:o