I am one of the few that had a horrible experience on an Alaskan cruise

lwayneman

Sorry you had a bad cruise. I agree that the adult pool is a bit of a letdown...no bar and usually families arrive that don't care it's adult only. I don't mind kids (I got two) but when I'm cruising kid-less I too prefer a pool without children squealing.

I used to go high end with my room then get ticked with feeling nickel and dimed. A few years back I switched tactics, I now go cheap on the room and splurge everywhere else. I book daily spa appts, I use the private lounge area, I buy the best wine and I dine in all the speciality restaurants. For me, I find this approach works best. It's the same price, I just trade the large room I'm never in for amenities on the ship. You might find that approach a better fit should you choose to cruise again.

It is easy for us experienced cruisers to tell this poster that they should have done better research, should have done this-or-that differently onboard, or should not make an issue out of what we believe should just be accepted as the norm. Also quite unfair.

Let me just add this: if the 10 day round trip Alaska from San Francisco had been my first Princess cruise--or even my first cruise at all--it likely would have been my last. It is an itinerary best taken by those who prefer (or at least rate as equal) sea days to port days. In time I have grown into a cruiser who on sea days doesn't care about the weather, about what time I eat, about what the other passengers and crew are up to. But fifteen years ago when I took this cruise (which was probably the second or third one chosen and paid for by me and not my family) I probably would have posted something similar had there been a Cruise Critic to do so on.

Claiming that the OP's reaction is his own fault for the very normal act of comparing the cruise to his past experience with AI vacations (what else can we make comparisons with but with what we actually know about?) and giving them the condescending finger-wagging "you didn't do your research" retort will not help them consider whether or not to take another cruise in the future.

I am not really sure of what your intent is here; IMO the posters all gave good advice and opinions, no bad intent (I did not see finger wagging either other than your post).

Travel 15 years ago is VERY different than now; any travel agent or advisor will recommend that research is done on a trip.

The OP had every right to post his opinions and we all do too, based on our personal experiences, just like the OP.

I respect your right to express your opinion but do not agree with it here.

My wife and I booked this cruise as our 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. We also threw in two birthdays as well. LOL ...

We could not wait. I expected the check in to be horrible, but it really was not as bad as expected. Traffic though YUCK!

When we got to our room... we found some one else's pills in our bed along with one of those sleeping blindfolds. My wife immediately went on the hunt for germs and found hairs in our bed!... I was trying to keep her feeling secure, but how do you do that. We called our room stuart who apologized and gave us clean linens.

The next issue which was minor was our ice chest... got it 5 hours later... but it arrived all fluids in tact.

We went to eat at the buffet and found it to be very sub par food. May be I am just used to the awesome food at the all inclusive resorts. I figured this was maybe just because of the first day.... however, the food never changed. It was always the same stuff, maybe wrapped a little different. Never felt fresh.

We had anytime dining... learned fast - call early morning or eat at 9pm. Never a relaxing moment. You could pay extra $25 per person per night for good food... ***. $5000 for a cruise and I still have to pay extra? oh and did I mention they were still trying to get you to buy cards for extra promotions at the start of the cruise? Sigh... Nickel here Dime there... everywhere we looked...

The food in anytime dining was decent.. but our table locations were always horrible! 3 times we were seated right behind the damn waiter area. dishes clanking and never any privacy, not to mention the view, and hearing waiters complain! AWSOME! Not really

We found the adult pool. Now this was nice. No kids... Wait people brought their kids in this pool. they snuck them in and no one provided any security over it. SIGH again. Luckily this only occurred one night. I was disappointed you could not order a drink here. It is the ADULT pool? But nope... go get your own drink at the adult pool. Even with the darn waiters above at the $40 a day private spa area (that was always empty) watching over us. they would stand on balcony and look over.. LOL uh how about a drink.

Needless to say that once it starts bad it was hard to adjust... We made the best of it and stayed as positive as possible. Neither one of us complained during our trip. We did not want to ruin it for the other.

Advice if you go to Alaska.... Rent a car in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. it will be cheaper than any excursion and you will have way more fun. Do the excursions in Skagway... No car rentals. I heard the train ride was awesome and the ferry ride to the excursions in haines is good. our excursion was ok here. Not great but ok.

I could type more but I can just add as we go along or if you need explanation.

Wayne

Hope this helps someone plan better or learn to complain!

trips:

All inclusives

4 times Mexico

2 times Jamaica

1 cruise to Mexico

We once boarded a ship, had a delux suite, found someone's underwear drying in the shower... simply called the Room Steward... I would not spend my time looking some stray hairs... travelling whether by cruise or on land is what you make it... when we find something not working for us, i.e., kids in the adult pool, we move on, go somewhere else... no reason to put up with things you don't enjoy. In most cases with a little bit of change on our part we can create the vacation we want no matter what is happening around us. It is a better alternative then focusing and sticking with situations that don't work for us.

Possibly the room steward made up that room before the previous passengers actually vacated.

Once on disembarkation morning when we went to a very early breakfast the room steward asked if he could make up the room. I told him I had been ill, was still coughing and would be better after we left

for him to totally clean and make up the bed.

I have boarded and found in my cabin remnants of breakfast items and dirty coffee cups. Very obvious the cabin was made up while previous passengers still there.

I think the room stewards need to do a final inspection before the passengers board.

A friendly word of caution to the original poster. Please recognize that you have chosen to leave a negative review of cruising on a board full of cruising addicts. While you may just be giving your personal opinion of your cruise (and cruising in general), some here may feel threatened and challenged by your perceived attack on the #1 vacation of choice for so many here.

To reiterate was has been stated already in this thread -- "cruising isn't for everyone".

Our Alaskan cruise was probably my wife's least favorite of the handful of cruises that we have taken to date. Let me also premise that I commercial fished in SE Alaska for a few years, had taken the Alaskan State Ferry a few times through the REAL inside passage(w/ port stops like Petersburg, Wrangell, Haines), and I was already pretty familiar with the ports of call on our RT Seattle cruise a few years back. It was an opportunity for my DW (having never been to AK) to experience it.

Already living in the PNW, Seattle is the only departure port that is within same-day driving distance for us. We got a screaming last minute deal for our cabin, and the ability to drive up and leave a car at a friend's in Seattle made it a real easy decision to go. By far, it was our least expensive cruise, in not having to fly to our departure port.

Not that it was completely inedible, but the Horizon Court food was probably the worst offered on any of our cruises. The MDR wasn't much better. Even the specialty restaurant experience(s) fell a litte short in comparison to previous times on other ships.

The itinerary, having half days in both Ketchikan and Victoria, and the day in Glacier Bay(which was well worth the price of admission) meant for a lot of sea (and partial sea) days. Needless to say, we were both a little bored on board as the weather wasn't conducive to sitting by the pool and soaking in some sun as we're used to on our warm-weather sailings. I still got a kick sitting on deck watching the mountains go by, but for the DW, one snow covered mountain looks the same as another after passing by the first twenty travelling down a channel.

We had a fun and active time self touring in all of the ports of call - which included renting cars in Juneau and Skagway and charter fishing in Ketchikan....And yeah, there were some highlights on the ship -- like winning the Bingo (blackout) Jackpot -- which essentialy paid for the cruise and our onboard account.

I also had fun participating comically in one of the mentalist's shows which got me some compliments from fellow passengers for the rest of the cruise. MUTS was even interesting one night, w/ the fog horn blasting off every 5 minutes as we tried to watch the movie play.

Yet overall, the cruise was still kind of 'meh', compared to the more port heavy ones that we have taken to tropical destinations. Had Alaska been our first sailing (and had we paid more for our cruise), we might have not become so enamored with the idea of cruising afterwards.

That stated, we've cruised enough to the point that we know what to expect now. Yeah, the constant upselling is a little obnoxious, and yeah the food can be hit or miss, and yeah I get some pretty weird looks from those seated nearby when I'm laughing my arse off at how corny some of the production shows are, but we've still found that the value provided by cruising is unparalleled when it comed to visiting places that can only be reached by sea (or by air). And while an occasional sea day(or two) is nice to have to be able relax after active port days. Too many isn't really our forte. We sail for the ports as much as the ship.

Our upcoming port-heavy 11-day sailing ending in San Juan, PR has us going to Grand Turk, St Thomas, Tortola, St. Kitts, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua and St. Croix for $65per day pp(even w/ including the extra costs for port fees/taxes AND pre-paying our gratuities) and that's even before adding an additional $200 in promotional and stockholders' beneift OBC.

It would be interesting to speculate what it would cost to fly to each of those destination, staying in a hotel for each night, and paying for all onshore meals....and well also having to deal with packing&unpacking every day too.

Let's just state that...even with some of the 'hidden additional costs'...we've found that cruising is indeed for us.

Edited by Skai

I've heard that on disembarkation day additional staff boards the ship to assist in turning around the cabins. The standards should still be the same and there should be some oversight, but this may explain some of the dirty cabin stories. It would seem that the regular steward would want to do his or her best to make a good first impression.

I've been to Alaska eight times on various cruise lines- including Star Princess last month and had an absolutely fantastic time. I'm sorry you didn't. Most of the things you discussed- upcharging for things never happened to me. I did the Pub Lunch (free), Sabitini's one night- which was included in my booking (so free again) and one night in the MDR- which I agree is quite noisy. We liked the buffet and it wasn't always the same there. There was enough to choose from and we all enjoyed it. No one ever pressured us to buy drinks anywhere onboard. As for the pool- I really don't use it in Alaska- maybe the hot tubs, so can't comment on that.

The scenery in Alaska is just so awesome that I'm sorry that wasn't one of the things you mentioned. It's just spectacular to me and that's the reason I'd go there. It's not really like an all-inclusive where you are in one place and enjoy the pool, the food and beverages. I mean those things are available on cruises, but aren't the reasons I cruise to Alaska.

I've heard that on disembarkation day additional staff boards the ship to assist in turning around the cabins. The standards should still be the same and there should be some oversight, but this may explain some of the dirty cabin stories. It would seem that the regular steward would want to do his or her best to make a good first impression.

Where did you hear that?

We have not seen that.

op,

It certainly is no fun to spend your vacation doing things and being places that don't make you happy. So, you've tried cruising, and it's not for you and it's definitely not something one compares to an all inclusive resort. But, the beauty of life is that there are many different types of vacations and leisure activities to suit all tastes.

Like thrak, I went, rather unwillingly, on my first cruise and was hooked. I am mesmerized by the sea and love waking up in different ports (watching the Sydney Opera House pass by my cabin window at first light was amazing). Anyway, enjoy your next vacation, wherever it may be.

PS: this forum is heavily populated by cruise junkies, so our pro-cruise bias is quite strong 😊

My wife and I booked this cruise as our 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. We also threw in two birthdays as well. LOL ...

We could not wait. I expected the check in to be horrible, but it really was not as bad as expected. Traffic though YUCK!

When we got to our room... we found some one else's pills in our bed along with one of those sleeping blindfolds. My wife immediately went on the hunt for germs and found hairs in our bed!... I was trying to keep her feeling secure, but how do you do that. We called our room stuart who apologized and gave us clean linens.

The next issue which was minor was our ice chest... got it 5 hours later... but it arrived all fluids in tact.

We went to eat at the buffet and found it to be very sub par food. May be I am just used to the awesome food at the all inclusive resorts. I figured this was maybe just because of the first day.... however, the food never changed. It was always the same stuff, maybe wrapped a little different. Never felt fresh.

We had anytime dining... learned fast - call early morning or eat at 9pm. Never a relaxing moment. You could pay extra $25 per person per night for good food... ***. $5000 for a cruise and I still have to pay extra? oh and did I mention they were still trying to get you to buy cards for extra promotions at the start of the cruise? Sigh... Nickel here Dime there... everywhere we looked...

The food in anytime dining was decent.. but our table locations were always horrible! 3 times we were seated right behind the damn waiter area. dishes clanking and never any privacy, not to mention the view, and hearing waiters complain! AWSOME! Not really

We found the adult pool. Now this was nice. No kids... Wait people brought their kids in this pool. they snuck them in and no one provided any security over it. SIGH again. Luckily this only occurred one night. I was disappointed you could not order a drink here. It is the ADULT pool? But nope... go get your own drink at the adult pool. Even with the darn waiters above at the $40 a day private spa area (that was always empty) watching over us. they would stand on balcony and look over.. LOL uh how about a drink.

Needless to say that once it starts bad it was hard to adjust... We made the best of it and stayed as positive as possible. Neither one of us complained during our trip. We did not want to ruin it for the other.

Advice if you go to Alaska.... Rent a car in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. it will be cheaper than any excursion and you will have way more fun. Do the excursions in Skagway... No car rentals. I heard the train ride was awesome and the ferry ride to the excursions in haines is good. our excursion was ok here. Not great but ok.

Wayne

trips:

All inclusives

4 times Mexico

2 times Jamaica

1 cruise to Mexico

We were on this cruise also (see "Just off the Golden to Alaska w Glacier Bay 070115). We do this cruise each summer as we travel with a young one (now 2 1/2) and it is close by and flightless. It's now 5 trips and all have been different. Of course the cleanliness issue is a no-brainer and obviously not to be tolerated. Aside from this our experience could not have been more different. Sure there are circumstances that arise that can be aggravating. We had our share but chose to make the best of most of them. We were pleasantly surprised NOT to be hounded with offers for beverage cards, wine tastings, etc. With the exception of a traveling cart offering water for excursions while in the buffet we were left alone (why don't more people bring a case of water, slap on a luggage tag and have it delivered to their cabin????). The initial boarding offers were quite appropriate for those interested. Excursions are a very individual choice--hence the wide variety available. We have rented a car in Skagway in the past (car seats available by reservation in advance) and traveled up to Emerald Lake. We made this a full day excursion of our own planning and it was great! This year we used a Princess excursion for Juneau and highly recommend #330A which included the salmon hatchery, Glacier Gardens, and the Mendenhall Glacier. A very reasonable cost and a FABULOUS day!

I had to laugh at the comment about the adult pool. I took a wrong turn while walking with my granddaughter and received glaring looks from the two attendants guarding the entrance! Not quite the experience of the other poster.

Regarding Anytime Dining--over the past several months experienced CC posters have mentioned the opportunity to have a standing reservation for AD. I met with the maître d' the first hour after boarding ship. Requiring a high chair and an early dining time slot I was given a sticker for my cruise card which allowed us entry and direct access to our same table and waitstaff for the entire cruise. This, along with the already mentioned new mattresses, was the highlight of our "top 5" of the trip.

We are a three generational cruise family and find that flexibility and a good sense of humor to be our saving grace.

On a side note: our noisy neighbors and their children were reported to Passenger Services. A Supervisor was dispatched straight away. We did this twice (once too many please) and finally had some improvement. Folks need to be aware of slamming doors--THANK YOU!!! ;-)

As has been said numerous times cruising isn't for everyone. We enjoy it and encourage others to give it a go!

msk1

Let me just add this: if the 10 day round trip Alaska from San Francisco had been my first Princess cruise--or even my first cruise at all--it likely would have been my last. It is an itinerary best taken by those who prefer (or at least rate as equal) sea days to port days. In time I have grown into a cruiser who on sea days doesn't care about the weather, about what time I eat, about what the other passengers and crew are up to. But fifteen years ago when I took this cruise (which was probably the second or third one chosen and paid for by me and not my family) I probably would have posted something similar had there been a Cruise Critic to do so on.

My first cruise was the 10 day round trip SF/Alaska cruise. For the record I did not want to cruise but finally gave in as a "yes, dear" thing. I get car sick on twisty roads if I'm not driving. I absolutely knew I would hate cruising. We sailed on Sea Princess. I don't know if you have ever had an inside cabin but, on Sea Princess, they are tiny. An inside on a Grand class ship is much larger. (Inside on Sea Princess = 135 sq. ft. Inside on Grand Princess = 160 sq. ft.)

We had never cruised and were booked in an inside cabin, almost all the way forward, and way high up. (A323 - look it up.) We hit heavy weather the first night out. I woke up in the dark (inside cabin...) and could tell that the room was moving in multiple directions at once. The next day people were staggering all over and bouncing off of the walls. The ship would boom and then shudder as it bashed it's way through the high waves. It was amazing. It's a good thing that I got "the patch" before sailing or I would have been curled in a ball and puking my guts out.

This is the cruise that hooked me. When I got off of the ship in SF all I could think about was getting back on as soon as possible. I don't understand your statement but we are all different. The statement certainly does not apply to me! The cruise that you say would have turned you off for cruising forever is the same one that hooked me big time.

Originally Posted by mevs904 View Post

Where did you hear that?

We have not seen that.

I do not know if they bring other's onboard on turn around days, but I do know that there are "helpers" to get the cabins ready. Stewards are extremely busy and the added hands for stripping the bed and cleaning are most welcomed. These helpers appear out of no where. During the cruise, the only ones allowed into your cabin to clean is your steward.

...you can't really compare all inclusive resorts to cruising... two very different things. For something similar, you should have tried one of the luxury lines, with less passengers and food prepared accordingly...

I agree. As others have mentioned, the unchanged bed is inexcusable and certainly not the norm for Princess. I have sailed on the Golden, and agree the buffet food is mediocre at best. You may not be aware that you can generally have lunch in the MDR on embarkation and sea days on Princess, usually with better food quality than the buffet.

Hope your future vacations, land or sea, are more pleasant ones :)!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwayneman

Reply: We always use anytime dining and if the maître d is taking you to a table that is not in a desirable location just tell him you do not want that one and you prefer a different location. They have always given us a different table if we ask. We usually scope out the empty tables on our way in so we can ask for one we see in case the one they take us to turns out to be like the one they gave you.

Edited by fox

The scenery in Alaska is just so awesome that I'm sorry that wasn't one of the things you mentioned. It's just spectacular to me and that's the reason I'd go there. It's not really like an all-inclusive where you are in one place and enjoy the pool, the food and beverages. I mean those things are available on cruises, but aren't the reasons I cruise to Alaska.

I totally agree!! The whole point in cruising Alaska is the scenery and surroundings, not sitting in the pool.

I do not know if they bring other's onboard on turn around days, but I do know that there are "helpers" to get the cabins ready. Stewards are extremely busy and the added hands for stripping the bed and cleaning are most welcomed. These helpers appear out of no where. During the cruise, the only ones allowed into your cabin to clean is your steward.

Those helpers are generally the Deck Attendants and others from the Accommodations Department (public area cleaners, spa cleaners, etc). They are the same ones who wrestled luggage the night before and will again that afternoon. And they definitely do enter the cabins to clean on turnaround day morning. No one extra is brought on, unless it's a Code Red situation.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Originally Posted by mevs904 View Post

Absolutely they have helpers on turnaround days. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Wayne

trips:

All inclusives

4 times Mexico

2 times Jamaica

1 cruise to Mexico

Sounds about right for Princess.....I do not think cruising is the best way to see Alaska having lived there.....to me it is an artificial experience the way the curliness have created an almost like Disney experience....people cruise to Alaska but the do not really see the real Alaska which is often one of the weaknesses of cruising in most parts of the world....I thought your review was spot on.....thanks for the post.

Regarding Anytime Dining--over the past several months experienced CC posters have mentioned the opportunity to have a standing reservation for AD. I met with the maître d' the first hour after boarding ship. Requiring a high chair and an early dining time slot I was given a sticker for my cruise card which allowed us entry and direct access to our same table and waitstaff for the entire cruise.

This is exactly the type of behavior that is making Princess AD a problem for others....if people need a set time then the should use TD.....entitlement run rampant!!!

Sounds about right for Princess.....I do not think cruising is the best way to see Alaska having lived there.....to me it is an artificial experience the way the curliness have created an almost like Disney experience....people cruise to Alaska but the do not really see the real Alaska which is often one of the weaknesses of cruising in most parts of the world....I thought your review was spot on.....thanks for the post.

You are probably correct in this. Our (DH & I) first cruise in a long time,(in 20+years) was on a Disney ship. Why? Because I wanted to experience Disney World or take a cruise...so I took a 5 day Disney cruise. It was fabulous..that cruise got us hooked.

Same thing here. We would like to see Alaska and take another cruise. We are doing the 10 day from San Francisco on the Golden. My husband is not too thrilled to go where its cold. That's his only issue.

On our last cruise on the Ruby, I was concerned and disappointed that when I opened the refrigerator to put my medicine away, the previous cruisers had their left over food in it. Part eaten sandwich and an opened soda can. My first thought was, oh no, what else got overlooked in preparing this room? My husband told the steward and he honestly felt bad.

For the rest of the 7 day cruise he was making sure we were comfortable. Now I didn't want to make him fell badly but to make sure it did not happen to the next cruiser.

Cruising is not for everyone. What I did not get from the original poster was if they liked what they saw. Being on a cruise ship is the vehicle in which you go to see certain parts of the world. I am reading everything that has to do with the sights of Alaska.

We have already been on the Golden so I'm hoping I will see some improvement on some items. It is a beautiful ship otherwise we would not have picked her to see Alaska.

OP, I'm sorry you had issues on the ship. Perhaps you will try again, perhaps not.

Wayne

trips:

All inclusives

4 times Mexico

2 times Jamaica

1 cruise to Mexico

I have to agree with you on one point that is your cabin condition because it happened to me once.

It was the Island Princess several years ago.I actually got an upgrade to a mini suite because there had been some error in my booking with Princess.I looked in the bathroom there was a dark rim inside the tub with a thick black hair ....I nearly threw up.Also the bed linen was really crumpled.

I got the supervisor on that floor to have a look everything was put right plus a bottle of Champagne left which I took to my table mates the next evening.

I always tip my cabin steward extra they work very hard which I did.He was wanting me to give him a commendation the last few days of the cruise .I said sorry no,he kept on at me but I never did,although he got his tip. though.

I am not really sure of what your intent is here; IMO the posters all gave good advice and opinions, no bad intent (I did not see finger wagging either other than your post).

Travel 15 years ago is VERY different than now; any travel agent or advisor will recommend that research is done on a trip.

The OP had every right to post his opinions and we all do too, based on our personal experiences, just like the OP.

I respect your right to express your opinion but do not agree with it here.

I agree with Fishywood, and was pleased to see that post. I disagree that the posters had all given good advice, and there was definitely finger wagging going on. As you said, Cruisercl, we all have opinions, and I'm posting mine in support of Fishy's post.

As to the topic at hand - I'm also sorry to hear that the OP had a bad experience. I've done the all inclusives and I've done the cruising. Very different experiences - I enjoy them both, and hope the OP has a fantastic time next time around, wherever it is.

I'm sorry the OP had a bad time. I've enjoyed all three of our cruises to Alaska. We almost always get traditional dining. We like having the same table/waiters and not having to worry about calling for reservations early in the morning.

On the other hand, part of his review is suspect: "... however, the food never changed. It was always the same stuff, maybe wrapped a little different. Never felt fresh." While I try to eat in the dining room whenever possible, I've eaten at the Horizon Court enough to know that the variety of food changes each day.