Passport help

cortneyward

Since purchasing my passport almost 5 years ago, I have gotten married. My passport is in "Cortney Dawn Ward", my drivers license is in "Cortney Ward Robbins" and my January cruise is booked under Cortney Robbins. Is there anything I need to do? I realize I don't HAVE to have the passport but just wanting to make sure if it'll work or not?

Book your travel to match your ID.

You have three options for the cruise---

Call Carnival and change your name to match your passport

Or

Get a new passport

Or

Use you BC and DL. ( might want to bring your marriage license also)This only works if you're sailing a closed loop cruise.

Edited by SadieN

I would bring your marriage license with you to serve as a "bridge" document between your different names. If you don't bring the passport you will need a drivers license and birth certificate which will have your maiden name.

However, you are not cruising until January, so why not just complete the name change now on your passport?

Edited by JuanBillion

Update your passport. You can fill the form out online, print it, and send it in with your picture and current passport. You will get a new one in 4 to 6 weeks. I updated my wife's last year. It was an easy process.

I would bring your marriage license with you to serve as a "bridge" document between your different names. If you don't bring the passport you will need a drivers license and birth certificate which will have your maiden name.

However, you are not cruising until January, so why not just complete the name change now on your passport?

This is exactly what I was thinking. However, after printing and filling out the form, it says at the bottom that my current passport must be less than 1 year old. If that's the case, I'd be better off to change the last name on my booking

If that's the case, I'd be better off to change the last name on my booking

If you can do so without penalty, that is fine. I do know if you booked under Early Saver rate there are no name changes permitted.

If Carnival is going to charge you to do a name change, you are better off just using that money toward getting the updated passport anyhow, and then it's good for 10 years should you be doing any future travel after this cruise.

Edited by JuanBillion

This is exactly what I was thinking. However, after printing and filling out the form, it says at the bottom that my current passport must be less than 1 year old. If that's the case, I'd be better off to change the last name on my booking

This link will give you information as to which form to fill out, it tells you which one you're eligible for. Looks like a relatively simple process. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

It has to be less than a year for a free change, you can pay the full passport fee to get it changed if you really want to. Personally I'd have DW bring the passport, drivers license and marriage certificate if we were in this situation.

Edited by sparks1093

You are not renewing, you are updating you legal name. Remember, your passport is your "legal" document and should reflect your "legal" name.

You have three options for the cruise---

Call Carnival and change your name to match your passport

The only problem with this one is she would have to bring her passport with her off the ship at each port, since her DL wouldn't match her ship card.

My wife is in the same situation. When we cruised last year, both her passport and DL were still in her maiden name, so we just used that name on the booking. She has since updated her DL to her married name, so we will be getting her a new passport for our next cruise to keep things simple. Just doesn't seem right that we have to pay the full $110 renewal fee when she still has a few years left on her current passport.

Since purchasing my passport almost 5 years ago, I have gotten married. My passport is in "Cortney Dawn Ward", my drivers license is in "Cortney Ward Robbins" and my January cruise is booked under Cortney Robbins. Is there anything I need to do? I realize I don't HAVE to have the passport but just wanting to make sure if it'll work or not?

Your passport will not work. If you want to travel with a passport you need to replace it. Don't let people tell you that a bridge document such as a marriage license will work with your passport, it won't. If you travel with a BC and DL then you need the marriage license as a bridge document.

Passports must have the same first and last name as the passenger. E

The easiest option may be to change the name on the cruise to your maiden name.

You need to update it, the comment at the bottom has to do with whether or not you have to pay for the new one.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html#Changes

If you need to change or correct your U.S. passport because your name has changed ... please read the information below carefully to learn how to request a new or replacement U.S. passport.

Name Changes

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport. The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

More than one year has passed since your passport was issued, and you are eligible to use Form DS-82*:

Submit Form DS-82 by mail with your current passport, your original or certified name change document (no photocopies or notarized copies), a color passport photo, and all applicable fees. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-82; or

Print Form DS-82 and complete by hand.

DS-82 is the standard renew by mail form ... you are simply renewing early ...

the first section of the form asks questions that are the 'rules' for renewing by mail

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/212241.pdf

IF your passport was less than 1 year since issue, it could be changed for no fee ..

but yours is 5 years old so it is handled as a regular renewal and done thru the mail ASSUMING it is not a CHILD passport. (question 2 on the form) Because getting an ADULT passport from a previous CHILD passport can not be done without appearing at an official acceptance facility.)

Edited by Capt_BJ