New A La Carte Specialty Dining?

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today the introduction of à la carte specialty dining at the line’s signature specialty restaurants. Any idea if royal plan to copy them in the near future?

Earlier this year, Royal changed Jamie's Italian on Anthem of the Seas from a $30 fixed price venue to a la carte. This did not last long, and Royal changed Jamie's back to the $30 cover charge.

Over on the NCL board, I think it's fair to say that the move is not being greeted with open arms.

I personally have zero interest in a la carte dining on a cruise ship.

It seems that this NCL move is being used to enhance the 'value' of their specialty dining package.

Passengers with the dining package will have these same venues available as complementary and included in the dining packages.

Guests joining someone with a dining package can now just order something light and be able to 'accompany' these guests without paying a set cover charge and not also having to get the package.

NCL did have some a la carte dining prior to this change and they had found a way to include them in the packages as well.

Dining package guests can dine unlimited at the Sushi/Noodle bars for $7 along with the Raw Bar for $7 and even Pincho Tapas Bar for $7.

Moderno Churrascaria and Teppanyaki and all entertainment dining will remain at a cover charge at NCL.

Royal tried a la carte in the Italian restaurant on Quantum, but it did not last long. However, Izumi and Sabor (some ships) are currently a la carte.

There are two Sabors, there is Sabor Modern Mexican and Sabor Taqueria. Sabor Taqueria is the a la carte version. From what I understand the a la carte version usually winds up cheaper per person than the $25 cover charge version.

Izumi makes sense to be a la carte because it has a larger menu than any other restaurant in the fleet. An Izumi with a cover charge would probably have to cost $30 per person. Izumi also allows to go orders.

Edited by wreckem2013

I wouldn't mind Giovanni's being a per item charge. My mom and I usually only go the first night when it is buy one get one free (we're d+ and pinnacle). We'd go more but can't justify $50.00 between us when all we want is a caprice salad, lintel soup and maybe a shared desert.

Once it goes a la carte you won't have to worry about vying for a space with me.

I'm with you LMaxwell (and we've had so many contentious discussions in the past). :)

I have no desire to see cruising become like a "hotel on water." I like the 24 hour "free" food system. It'll be a real shame if cruise ships go to ala carte dining. In fact I miss the old days when the only extras were reasonably priced drinks (no drink packages), and shore excursions. Now, with so many "upcharge" things, reduced staff, drink packages where bar tenders seem overworked, it's just "not the same." Ahh well...progress.

It seems that this NCL move is being used to enhance the 'value' of their specialty dining package.

Guests joining someone with a dining package can now just order something light and be able to 'accompany' these guests without paying a set cover charge and not also having to get the package.

This is such a joke by NCL. Right, because when passengers are going to dinner on a cruise ship, after a day of activities, they want to order something light while everyone else around them feasts. I hope it doesn't last long.