No HC rooms available, shower seat?

kamac56

My neighbor is leaving next week for a cruise to Alaska and wonders if Princess has the shower seats available for use? He tried for a HC room but all are booked. He had a stroke and needs minor assistance such as the security of the chair. Thanks for your help.

It is getting late to be looking for this. Some places to try:

1. His Travel Agent

2. Princess

3. Marisa Sanders*special diets/Place order for distilled water/baby food

dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com (661) 284-4450. I think she just handles dietary requirements, but may be able to direct him to get assistance.

I am not sure the showers are big enough to get a seat in.

If your neighbor is in a mini-suite or suite a chair should fit into the bathtub. He will definitely need help climbing in. And they need to immediately contact one of the medical supply companies authorized to deliver to Princess ships to rent one. One week's notice may not be enough.

If in a standard interior, oceanview or balcony stateroom there is no room for a chair in the shower. Nor room for someone to assist unless standing outside the cubicle. But thankfully there is no room for even a thin person to fall down in the shower stall.

Edited by fishywood

If he rents a shower chair and finds the shower to be too small, he could try the showers in the spa area. They are bigger than the cabin showers and the spa personnel MIGHT let him store it close by, so he wouldn't have to haul it around.

Another thought...it is possible if he has what is commonly called a "rollator" (walker with seat and wheels), he could use it to get to the spa showers and lock the wheels and sit on it during his shower.

I have used a shower chair in a standard cabin, by placing the chair back against the long wall and my feet facing toward the opening. That said, the big problems for me was the step up into the bath, about 4 to 6 inches and it was beyond my abilities. Also the lack of grab bars in the bath made rising from a seated position on the shower chair or commode very difficult. I did manage in that cabin by placing the shower chair at the entrance to bathroom and then sitting down and scooting the chair back and then standing (again difficult without grab bars).

Edited by katisdale

If he rents a shower chair and finds the shower to be too small, he could try the showers in the spa area. They are bigger than the cabin showers and the spa personnel MIGHT let him store it close by, so he wouldn't have to haul it around.

Another thought...it is possible if he has what is commonly called a "rollator" (walker with seat and wheels), he could use it to get to the spa showers and lock the wheels and sit on it during his shower.

We are just returned from Golden Princess to Alaska. I had occasion to speak with the Lotus spa manager asking if there were HC showers in the Lotus spa changing area and was told there were none. On another post I was reminded with the Bermuda registration there are no Federal access rules for this situation. I'm not sure which ship the poster is sailing on but hope this helps.

msk1

I asked for, and got a shower stool from Princess. However, it took up so much space in the tiny shower that we ended up not using it.

P1040682_zps704c734d.jpg

I have seen these chairs onboard before.

I thought they could be requested through Princess?

I have seen these chairs onboard before.

I thought they could be requested through Princess?

Yes, they can be requested from Princess. We had one on our Alaska cruise last summer. There was no charge for it.

Thank you all for the replies, i had mentioned to him about the spa showers if it comes to that. They will try princess and see what they say. They tried calling and no one seemed to know if they were able to get one. The person who booked the cruise was not aware they had HC cabins so never thought to ask for one having never cruised before. Thanks again,

You can order a shower chair for your stateroom on my princess. You can also ask your room steward to bring one. The first time I tried the stool I had water all over the place. I finally figured out the best placement for the stool the next go round and had no further problems. Lack of grab bars is a problem, but I have hubby to help. I plan on bringing one of those suction cup grab bars on next cruise to see how that works. Word of caution, those bars are not safe enough to use if you need a lot of assistance to stand up.