Are lobster rolls really worth the price?

chrismch

Yes. I am most familiar with Saint John where I visit several times a year. In Saint John there are two locations I frequent for a Lobster Roll. Deluxe French Fries is a fast food outlet in the food courts of Brunswick Square ( and Market Square ) just up the street from the cruise terminal. The roll is a simple top cut hotdog roll and the price is under $10 for the sandwich only. The other location is Lord's Fish Mart in the Saint John Market, again not very far from the ship. I am less fond of their roll because there is to much bread. The roll is to large. In both cases a platter which includes fries and coleslaw with a drink is less than $20 but I can't remember how much less. People who have opinions on the merits of various styles of Lobster Rolls will dispute which is best but in reality, either is pretty good. In general, I prefer the version served by Deluxe, and I like their fries better as well.

In Halifax I recall picking up a lobster roll in the food court at the Historic properties area. I have not been to Halifax in a few years so my memory is slipping on the details.

Edit to add: Regarding Saint John. There are two good " dine in" restaurants in the same area. Grannon's in Market Square and Billy's at the Saint John Market. I'm sure you can get a Lobster Roll in either place but i never do. I am interested in the scallops, mussels, and crab along with the wonderful chowders when I eat at those locations.

The food court is gone, and good riddance! I got sick from lobster roll there. Now the only food on the pier is Subway, a bakery and a restaurant. But we found very good lobster roll near the Maritime Museum. There's a string of food shacks, including lobster roll, fish and chips (which I think also had lobster roll) beaver tails, healthy stuff like smoothies, and I forget what else. The lobster roll was very expensive (I think more than $20) and came with a bag of chips not fries. But it's a tourist area, and I really really really wanted it.

Many years ago when we were in Portland on QE2, I bought a lobster roll from a street cart and took it back to the ship for lunch. My mother was horrified that I would take food onto a ship that fed us constantly!

Ate at Barking Claw yesterday. Was better than I expected, but not what I'd call "great". 3 different sizes offered, one with 2 oz of meat, one with 4 oz, one with 6 oz. Also have very good "snappy" hot dogs, which were excellent

3rdGenCunarder

The food court is gone, and good riddance! I got sick from lobster roll there. Now the only food on the pier is Subway, a bakery and a restaurant. But we found very good lobster roll near the Maritime Museum. There's a string of food shacks, including lobster roll, fish and chips (which I think also had lobster roll) beaver tails, healthy stuff like smoothies, and I forget what else. The lobster roll was very expensive (I think more than $20) and came with a bag of chips not fries. But it's a tourist area, and I really really really wanted it.

<snip>

Salty's, down the board walk, has wonderful steamed lobster meals as well as lobster rolls. Get a steam lobster rather than a roll and really taste the lobster instead of mayonnaise, white bread and probably celery.

Edited by sail7seas

We are having lobster rolls tonight. Bought 1/2 pound of lobster meat, freshly steamed and picked (19.95) at Bailey's in Scarborough. We like to toast a great roll and have them with drawn butter drizzled on top.

Lobster rolls in Portland are always fresh and about 4-5 ounces of lobster meat. Ask for them with butter instead of mayo if you want. They run around 12. -14. dollars. Best in the State is Red's in Wiscasset.

Frozen can never, ever compare to fresh. If you go to Portland, try Gilberts, J's Oyster House, or DiMillos. Can walk from the ship. Every restaurant serves lobster. Stay away from Linda Bean's restaurants. She is very homophobic and last year was cited for cruelty in preparing lobsters. A real jerk!

Thanks for a local perspective. I will be trying as many Lobster Rolls as I can this Oct. I will defiantly go to J's Oyster House especially after seeing Anthony Boudine Maine show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwSrCQi_Bos

I am not sure why someone from TX is questioning a local on lobster. I guess it like you questioning someone about Texas barbecue.

Shak

Edited by Shak

I was questioning the price not the product. I grew up on the east coast where we got lobsters, clams and crab from local fish markets at great prices. Don't understand why they're so pricey at the "source" - unless the rolls are more a tourist thing, while the locals buy the whole lobster to crack and eat.

I was questioning the price not the product. I grew up on the east coast where we got lobsters, clams and crab from local fish markets at great prices. Don't understand why they're so pricey at the "source" - unless the rolls are more a tourist thing, while the locals buy the whole lobster to crack and eat.

Part of it is the work involved in creating the lobster roll. With whole steamed lobsters, the customer does the work of getting the meat and creating whatever end product they want with he lobster. For the lobster rolls, the restaurant has to pay an employee to do the work of getting the meat out of the shell. Part of the price of the lobster roll is the cost of the work to create it.

It's similar to a cooked lobster served whole to the customer and one that has been pre-cracked or picked for the customer (many places call this a "lazy man's lobster"). The price difference is the work.

A good lobster roll will also have knuckle and claw meat, which is by far the best part.

DH & I have been having a running discussion for the past 40 or so years about lobster rolls .... I by far love the knuckle and claw meat .... DH thinks I'm crazy:rolleyes: Jan

It's actually a small local business just outside of Saint John but well known to any locals, check out whitetail fisheries lorneville lobster shop on FB, they fish their own lobster and it doesn't get any fresher, currently not open right now but will be in November

LOL... Oops, typo. I was trying to say CLAW meat.

Well, Lobster or Crab, when they are fresh and done right both are something special. I'm from Maine, so when we travel to Nova Scotia I hope to have some seafood as good as we get here at home. I can hardly wait until next April for our cruise. At least we'll have something to look forward to as we trudge through another New England winter LOL

"However, when I pull up the menus of these rustic beach shacks that serve them, their prices seem to run into the mid $20's for the sandwich."

Well, it wasn't in Canada, but it was so good it's worth talking about. The most delicious lobster roll I've ever had was from Fairway Market in Red Hook, Brooklyn. You can buy your own stuff and grill it, but do let them do it for you. They do it so well. There's a pleasant area with tables right on the water, so you can gaze at the Statue of Liberty and congratulate yourself on finding one of the best things on earth, and paying around $10 for it.

50 meters from the cruise terminal is Dave's Lobster. $16 for a hot dog roll filled with lobster until it falls out of the bun. Several recipes; our favourites are cold or butter-toasted roll (warm). Lovely! Served with a small bag of potato chips (crisps).