Which beach is cheapest? We just want to lounge, not eat, play or drink

yousee1

I was set on Paradise Beach, but I don't like that they ask you to spend money on food or drinks. We just want to hit a beach, lounge for a couple hours and head back to the ship. That's it. I understand there is a taxi fee and an entrance fee to the beach, but that is all I would like to pay.

I think if those were my perametors I might be inclined to stay aboard ship. we do that nearly every time we port in Jamaica. I can't see myself spending time at the beach without having something to drink. it gets pretty hot. paradise beach where we go and I love it there. we don't drink alcohol at all but frozen drink sure goes down good. give it a try and I think you might change your mind for the better.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

What ship are you sailing on? Which pier? If you are docking at Puerta Maya, there is a "beach" in front of the shopping area. I don't recall loungers there but bring a towel from the ship and you can lie there all day for no charge, if you wish.

There are several beaches which have no entrance charge, but do require you to purchase a small minimum in food or drink. There are public access points along the western beaches where you can go to the beach, just no facilities available for use. A taxi driver can probably drop you off at one of these, but there'll be no guarantee of return unless you hike over to one of the beach clubs or resorts.

Cab each way to Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos pay-as-you-go side will run about $17 each way. :(

For about $10 each way you can cab to The Money Bar -- no beach, you enter the water via steps, but great snorkeling from the shore, good facilities, a sandy area and loungers for sunning and relaxing, good food/drinks/service. Check out the web site plus reviews on trip advisor! :cool:

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Cab each way to Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos pay-as-you-go side will run about $17 each way. :(

For about $10 each way you can cab to The Money Bar -- no beach, you enter the water via steps, but great snorkeling from the shore, good facilities, a sandy area and loungers for sunning and relaxing, good food/drinks/service. Check out the web site plus reviews on trip advisor!

While Money Bar does not require an entrance fee or a minimum to spend on food/drink; it seems rude to use a RESTAURANT'S facilities with absolutely no intention to buy food or drink. Money Bar has to pay to upkeep their sandy area, their lounge chairs, and their entry steps; they do this through sale of food. But- you could easily go there and get one drink each for an inexpensive day.

I'd recommend going to Paradise Beach and consider the price of food to BE the entry fee to the beach. It's $13 per person ($10 food, $3 for the beach entry). That's not bad.

Or go to Mr. Sanchos for Pay as you go, and just buy 1 drink each- the cab ride is more than Money Bar, but the beach is a better beach.

Or book a beach break through the ship.

I understand there is a taxi fee and an entrance fee to the beach, but that is all I would like to pay.

If you only want to pay taxi and entry fee, I recommend either Chankanaab or Punta Sur. But both of these will be more expensive than just buying the food minimum at Paradise Beach, or buying a drink each at Money Bar or Mr. Sanchos.

Going to Chankanaab with the entrance fee (I think it is currently $21 pp), there is no obligation to buy any food or drink at all. The beach there is very nice, and there are some other things to see in the lovely park.

Punta Sur is a lovely beach, and the entry fee is $14 per person; no food or drink minimum required, I believe. As the name implies, it is very far south, so the cab ride will be more expensive.

Edited by skittl1321

You have received some good suggestions.

Bottom line is do you require “facilities” – table, chairs, loungers, restrooms? If your answer is ‘no’ to all of those then the good news is all beaches on Cozumel are open to the public and are free to access and put down your towel. Bad news is you will have difficulty finding a sandy beach within a short distance of the pier.

You don’t say which of the three piers you are arriving at which makes a difference to travel plans and taxi prices. Your cheapest travel option is probably to go north of town and put your towel down – not the most scenic, soft sandy beach but relatively open and quiet. There are a few more options between the piers on the walk from International/Puerta Maya towards town but more like “patches’ of sand amongst ironstone: similarly just north of the Money Bar. For true open sandy beaches you need to go to the east side, but the taxi (be sure to make arrangements for return trip) or rental car/scooter will cost you more than the price of the return taxi (pp) and small food and/or drink purchase required at the southern beach facilities. There are several smaller beach “bars” south of the piers which do not charge an entrance fee but do expect a small purchase of food/drink or “maybe”, donation for use of facilities.

Here is a link to an overview of beaches on Cozumel. Unfortunately it is badly in need of updating regarding prices but will give you some names to research further. http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/BeachClubs.htm

If you require facilities of any kind, consider part of your purchase of a small snack and/or drink your donation towards the upkeep of the facilities you are using. Also keep in mind that many Caribbean locations will charge around $10-20 for a couple of loungers, an umbrella and use of restroom, especially if you don’t purchase food.

It isn't clear from your post if you are looking for the "cheapest" option for a day, or if you simply want to just lie in the sun, without food and drink, since you do say you are willing to pay an entrance fee.

If all you want to do is lie in a lounger and look at the ocean for a couple of hours, I agree with the above suggestion of a trip to the Money Bar and purchase a couple of beers/sodas. This is one of our “go-to” locations for an inexpensive day. It has one of the lowest taxi fare options - but don’t leave it too late, it can get busy and loungers are limited

Edited by c-leg5

RCL usually docks at the TMM International Pier. Zoned Taxi rate for 1-4 people from there to Paradise Beach is 190 pesos (each way). To Mr Sanchos it's 220 pesos. To the Money Bar it's 120 pesos. Using the current exchange rate of 16 pesos per US$1, you can see it'll vary between $12-$14 per taxi to the southern beaches, but only around $7 to the Money Bar. That said, bear in mind that many shops, restaurants and taxis use an exchange rate of 10 MP to US$1. Some may use 13 MP to US$1.

That said, bear in mind that many shops, restaurants and taxis use an exchange rate of 10 MP to US$1.

I've never met a taxi driver who didn't use 10:1. We pay them in pesos (just DO NOT use a standalone ATM. Use one at a bank or MEGA) - 10:1 is ridiculous at the current exchange.

Restaurants have become more favorable thankfully. A small disparity to the international exchange rate is to be expected with any exchange.

If you only want to pay taxi and entry fee, I recommend either Chankanaab or Punta Sur. But both of these will be more expensive than just buying the food minimum at Paradise Beach, or buying a drink each at Money Bar or Mr. Sanchos.

Going to Chankanaab with the entrance fee (I think it is currently $21 pp), there is no obligation to buy any food or drink at all. The beach there is very nice, and there are some other things to see in the lovely park.

Punta Sur is a lovely beach, and the entry fee is $14 per person; no food or drink minimum required, I believe. As the name implies, it is very far south, so the cab ride will be more expensive.

I would also recommend Chankanaab. It is not too far from the ship and has one of he more beautiful beaches on the island. If you get off the ship early and grab a taxi directly there, you will beat all of the cruise ship excursions. Once in the park, go to the left and walk down the beach. You will have your choice of palapas, and if you walk far enough, the excursion people will never come down there. Even when the excursions arrive, the park is so large that it doesn't feel very crowded. There are lots of taxis waiting to take you back to the ship. You can usually find a coupon online for $2 off admittance.

Have fun where ever you decide to go.

I've never met a taxi driver who didn't use 10:1. We pay them in pesos (just DO NOT use a standalone ATM. Use one at a bank or MEGA) - 10:1 is ridiculous at the current exchange.

Restaurants have become more favorable thankfully. A small disparity to the international exchange rate is to be expected with any exchange.

I agree with this regarding the exchange rates and it is our routine as well for a land visit but unless we have pesos left over I wouldn't bother for a day visit via cruise ship. Just use US$, exchange is not worth the hassle for a few hours.

Not sure which pier- it is Navigator of the Seas RCI. Any ideas?

I suppose you are right- $13pp is ok. Thank you guys!

I think you have made a good decision. You will have access to a nice beach and great pool for no extra charge.

Navigator is our usual ship and yes, you will dock at International pier. This is south of town so a taxi ride or a long, hot walk to or from town.

Hope you enjoy your day!

Seriously check out Playa Chen Rio! Its so beautiful and it's free! and there is a restaurant/bar within walking distance and is a hot spot for locals! I would seriously recommend it! :)

Now tell the OP the taxi fare RT from International pier to Chen...660 MxP! :eek: Plus waiting time, at around $300 MxP per half hour if they need to take the taxi back. Not easy to grab another. I think that's more than the OP wanted to spend at a beach total.