Just off Oasis...lots of questions...help!

#12....i,too,have had problems with feet swelling....they look more like shoe boxes!....my last cruise I brought my own water and tried to use it as much as possible....my Dr said try it....nothing to lose....def a dramatic difference.....I was surprised and delighted....getting a note from him for my next cruise on rcl next winter....as they don't allow.....tho it is randomly enforced...and asparagus is usually twice the price of broccoli !.....tho I would not want to see it every day...

Asparagus is a number one vegetable to eat, as it is an anti-inflammatory vegetable. you can usually recognize the girls who have eaten theirs, they are the skinny ones poolside.

You're ascribing nearly magical powers to a single vegetable.

BTW, do boys have to eat asparagus to be skinny too, or is it just that their weight doesn't matter "poolside" so much?

Edited by perditax

I was on the Oasis in October for the debut of "Cats", which was boring to me. Most of the audience was gone by the intermission.

Band with steel drums by the pool is one of the "happy" things I LOVE while cruising. There's not enough of that on the Oasis.

Broccoli is cheaper than asparagus, and is also healthful. Maybe asparagus stays fresh longer, and the servings are smaller. Asparagus takes up less space.(just speculating)

jrljel, You have every right to ask for help on CC. If people can't reply with a positive spirit, why reply at all. In fact, why would anyone want to join anything with such negative replies? Those folks would do us all a favor, and stay off the internet.

The folks here on CC have supplied great info with great attitudes for years for our family, in which we are extremely appreciative. Thanks to those who help with joy! Happy cruising!

Edited by gamomluvs2cruise
word correction

Asparagus is a number one vegetable to eat, as it is an anti-inflammatory vegetable. you can usually recognize the girls who have eaten theirs, they are the skinny ones poolside.

Ah no, asparagus is a big NO-No for those of us who have passed a kidney stone. It's too high in oxalates.

Ha Ha! That's funny! I just thought it odd...someone told me onboard that it was a cheap vegetable so that's why they use it often. It's not just Royal, from what I recall it's pretty much every line yet I don't see it used in restaurants that often. I just thought it odd, nothing else. Most places around here use broccoli for everything so I thought maybe there was some reason specifically for that.

Asparagus cheap? It's a lot more expensive than broccoli. I have not bought it this summer because the price is ridiculous. Just got back from LOS and now after reading your observations, jrljel I chuckled because asparagus was served frequently. I just can't stand the "after effects."

I assume Oasis and Allure both have the same changes except for the shows. (I haven't done research for next year's cruise). The shows may be major productions, but I find it hard to sit for the 1.5 hours especially when there's a ton of "distractions" on a cruise. I've seen Cats twice on Broadway including the final performance and I enjoyed it, but a 3rd time no thanks. Now if it was Mama Mia that would be a different story.

I'm not going to flame you because that is obnoxious, but everyone has different cruise experiences and you are pointing out the small changes you noticed. I probably wouldn't notice the small details either. After going on the LOS I realized the Freedom Class ships don't offer what is on the Oasis class and probably Quantum class ships. The focus for me is multiple specialty dining venues (free and for a fee ).

Edited by sauvichick

I have NO idea why in the world RCI cannot have "normal" TV like I had on Carnival at Christmas. Not thrilled with Carnival, but got a suite for free so we went. They had regular tv just like I have at home onboard. Now I know RCI is capable of that, but even the CBS programs that you usually get weren't there. What's up with that? Did RCI break their partnership with CBS? Why not just plain normal TV? If Carnival can do it, surely Royal can too.

I agree. I know that the TV in your room is usually considered a pretty pointless thing to talk about on here, but I have sailed both Carnival and RC, I do prefer having regular TV channels. On our last cruise (Carnival), there were a couple of nights where we were just tired and didn't feel like going out and doing anything after dinner. We stayed in and watched TV, so it was nice to have our usual shows to watch, especially since that week was the series finale of Parks & Recreation, so we got to see it when it aired instead of waiting until we got home.

These days you can usually DVR things or find them online to watch later, so it's not so much the point of "missing your shows" anymore, but if you are in your room and want some downtime (or, if you are sick and get "quarantined" there for 24 hours- yes, it happened to me) it's good to be able to watch your regular tv shows.

Do you know when or why they don't have the partnership with CBS any longer? I'm curious as to what happened. I also have no idea of how Carnival (and I don't like them at all) managed to get ABC, CBS, and NBC onboard.

Your local cable company may have an app you can download to your phone, tablet, and/or laptop that will allow you to watch your show over WIFI depending on the ship.

Yes, OBVIOUSLY I know that. I hate going to the Aquatheater to see a movie. I don't want to have to look one way or the other. It's annoying. So much better to have the screen by the pools.

It clearly wasn't obvious you know that. If you don't declare it, how is your knowledge obvious to anyone other than you? With all the negative descriptors, "hate," "annoying," etc, it seems your "questions" are rather complaints in disguise.

It clearly wasn't obvious you know that. If you don't declare it, how is your knowledge obvious to anyone other than you? With all the negative descriptors, "hate," "annoying," etc, it seems your "questions" are rather complaints in disguise.

I completely agree.

PS...I like asparagus.

Well thanks so much. That's exactly what I was trying to say!

Yes, I don't look at TV much either but I do like to watch GMA or the Today Show in the morning and was curious as to why Royal doesn't have that available.

The solarium pool was REALLY crowded too. I don't think any line has a pool that can truly accommodate all guests.

Yes, I still like getting dressed up but it really surprised me how many didn't. Just a change from 6 months ago, but maybe it's the ship or the time of year.

Yes, purchase the package for the WIFI. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks for the kind reply.

It would be impossible to put a pool on a ship to accommodate all guest. And if you think a premium pool would keep the drinkers and those in the pool out your wrong...Going on a huge ship that can carry a lot of people in the blazing hot summer, those pools are going to be busy, no avoiding that...maybe considering booking during the school year when there could possibly be less people.

Ah no, asparagus is a big NO-No for those of us who have passed a kidney stone. It's too high in oxalates.

Wow, I never knew this. No more asparagus for me. I'll do anything to prevent that pain from happening again. :(

I passed a stone on the Oasis. I can confirm that the doctors are great and the morphine is phenomenal.

I'm relatively new to cruising, so I've been reading the CC boards to learn more. I've seen many negative reviews of "Cats" on the Oasis. I was wondering how long these shows tend to run? I'm going on the Oasis in December 2016 and I was curious if it will still be playing then.

I'm relatively new to cruising, so I've been reading the CC boards to learn more. I've seen many negative reviews of "Cats" on the Oasis. I was wondering how long these shows tend to run? I'm going on the Oasis in December 2016 and I was curious if it will still be playing then.

Prior to reading the posting on some of the activities, I had reserved CATS on my activities list. But, now i'm thinking I will probably skip it. BTW its 2.5 hours... I doubt I stay for the whole show and i'm so not the "musicals" kinda person.

You're ascribing nearly magical powers to a single vegetable.

BTW, do boys have to eat asparagus to be skinny too, or is it just that their weight doesn't matter "poolside" so much?

You are correct! Read all about asparagus's dirurectic assistance on Wikipedia. It is wonderful for boys and girls! Broccolli would be discouraged on a cruise or beach vacation as it will bloat you, it is full of gas. When we used to vaca at the beach, and we ate things like hummus, also full of gas, we would have "Hummus Belly". asparagus....not so much. I don't think the guys want hummus belly either.

Thank you, Royal Caribbean!

i'm new to rcl so forgive the question if it is on the dumb side.....what is a M&M meet?

Meet & Mingle.

It's where people on Cruise Critic meet up usually on day two of their cruise. Do you have a cruise booked? You can find your "roll call" for your M&M here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=35

Click on the ship name and then search for your date.

Regarding swelling while on a cruise, it's a multi-fold answer.

1) Sea air contains high levels of salt, which can lead to swelling and water-retention.

2) Alot of dishes onboard are high salt content, and of course, we tend to eat more on ship. People also tend to drink more alcohol and sodas, and less water, which contributes to swelling (water retention).

3) People tend to do more walking on cruises, especially the bigger ships, as well as in ports, shopping and on excursions, than they do at home.

All of these contribute to more swelling of extremities at sea. It tends to get worse the longer the cruise is, but clears up within a day or two on land. What can you do to help relieve it?

1) Drink more water to counteract the swelling. For every alcoholic drink or soda, you should drink an 8 oz glass of water (room temp is better for the body than ice cold).

2) Try to sit with feet elevated whenever possible.

3) Compression stocking can help, but who wants to wear those on a warm weather cruise.

4) Ask your family doctor (General Practioner) for a low dose prescription for water pills to take only while on the cruise. (HCTZ- Hydrochlorothiazide is a good choice).

My ankles always swell on the 4th or 5th day of a cruise, but I now take HCTZ, put my feet up when possible, and drink tons of water to counter-balance the effects. Hope this helps!!

1. Cats cheap? I highly doubt it. It´s most likely a Multi Million Dollar production and popular or not they will Keep it for much longer, as they paid top Dollars to bring it on and are not going to spend another top Dollars to bring another in, aside from the Theater changes they would have to make.
  2. Oasis was the first ship to have not only one but two big Screens at one of the pools. They are at the Aqua pool. Unfortunately the other ships can´t have a entirely seperate pool like Oasis that has the Screen and save the rest of the pool Areas from those pesky Screens.
  3. Not sure where the question is here:confused: or is this just an attempt to say something positive in an ontherwise mostly negative rant and ramble Review badly attempted to be covered in a list of questions?
  4. RFID Technology will be coming around as it is used on new builds and many Hotels these days. It is not an easy and quick Switch over. Again this is a Multi Million Dollar Task and there´s no real Need for it with the current swipe Card System not being broken or ancient Technology.
  5. Probably cost measurement and maybe passenger comments who don´t like to hear it all the time like myself.
  6. How a M&M is Held and what prizes are given is the decision of the cruise director (´s staff). If you hate going there why ya go? The intent with M&M´s is to get together with People you met online not to get prizes. If you didn´t get anything useful to you, give it to the next Person who might appreciate it.
    SOunds like you are one of those who just go to get something for free.
  7. As with many of your other questions - Money !!! Broadcasting rights are expensive !!! Again we are talking Multi Million Dollar. In Addition not knowing where you sailed on Carnival and what their contracts are, but often broadcasting rights also depend on where you are sailling, as Events often are limited to regions. I.E. CBS might have the right to broadcast a sports Event in the US, but they can´t broadcast it in Europe. Now they couldn´t allow a cruise ship sailling in Europe to Show their Programm onboard. Again not knowing Carnivals contract, but they could have some exclusive right for it, so other lines can´t offer it.
  8. No idea
  9. I enjoy the Comedy Club as well, but I enjoy it for how it is, small and intimate. I wouldn´t enjoy it as much in a much larger venue. More Shows could be possible but again a cost factor.
  10. Don´t know maybe the new CEO has another cause he likes more.
  11. Question??? Or just another hidden rant???
  12. Don´t give dr´s diagnosis without getting paid for it
  13. Because at this Point it´s not their concept, there´s other lines that have it and it´s a good Thing different lines offer different stuff. I´d hate them being all the same.

Aspargus cheap? You really have no idea what you are talking about. It´s one of the more expensive veggies. How about just talking to your waiter and request Broccoli? I´ve never been on a cruise they didn´t have plenty of Broccoli on the plates as well. So asking for it you would probably have gotten it.

Yes you have rambled!!!

Why would slides have more bacteria than a pool or hot tub? There´s a constant stream of water on slides, not really good breeding ground for bacteria, especially opposed to pools and hot Tubs.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

Regarding swelling while on a cruise, it's a multi-fold answer.

1) Sea air contains high levels of salt, which can lead to swelling and water-retention.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for your points. I could not believe the simplicity of the first point though! Makes so much sense and yet never seen it said before. I would also wonder if by living several hours away from the sea if that makes someone like me more susceptible to the swelling. I do get it from time to time at home.

I hope the OP got some answers along the way at least. It is a bit sad when people get a bit short with each other. Discussing things can mean we learn something new.