Fire on Freedom?

Sailing on Aug 16 with a party of 15. This will be interesting. Glad to see most everyone is safe, save for the minor burn on one employee.

Can't help but be reminded of something I told people when I did basic first aid training. The difference between "minor" and "major" is who is injured. If I get a little cut it is a major injury to me...if you lop off a hand, it is a minor injury to me. :D

The real reason behind the comment was to drive home the need to keep panic out of the equation...don't hurry up and do something, slow down and do everything.

Cruising on August 9th-my travel agent spoke with Royal Caribbean said if the next cruise was changed or cancelled that she would have already received an email to start the changes. Praying that everything from now is smooth and event free!

Sailing on Aug 16 with a party of 15. This will be interesting. Glad to see most everyone is safe, save for the minor burn on one employee.

on the same sailing to celebrate my mom's 80th. Hopefully not too much damage for drydock! 25 days...........

I am curious where those 3 could have been. How in the world, if they heard or saw all the commotion, did they not think they have to abide by the rules or it affects everyone else. Maybe it was all a mistake but if everyone but 3 people show up to muster why they couldn't.

Ever thought the passengers were still in the cabin and could not hear because they are hard of hearing?

We're on the ship too. Sitting in Margaritaville having a beverage and food. There was no lunch service, they were giving out sandwiches and pizza. We are leaving just one hour later tonight to give people more time on their excursions. The crew was great and the captain was communicating the entire time. Any questions, let me know!

Thanks for the update & hoping everyone will get to enjoy the rest of their cruise! If possible, keep us updated. Safe travels. :)

I am curious where those 3 could have been. How in the world, if they heard or saw all the commotion, did they not think they have to abide by the rules or it affects everyone else. Maybe it was all a mistake but if everyone but 3 people show up to muster why they couldn't.

it could of been a simple mistake of the person cabin card not scanning correctly into the handheld system they were using count passengers. I remember a TV show about some cruise ship where something similar like this happen where a passenger was on board the ship yet the computer system still showed them as off the ship.

Ever thought the passengers were still in the cabin and could not hear because they are hard of hearing?

Probably not hard of hearing, more likely it's the same scenario as the ones that try to "not go to muster drill" or show up drunk, with their shirt off, carrying a drink 90% way through the drill. Unfortunately some people will always feel self entitled and that they can do whatever they want.

I would also imagine, the crew went cabin to cabin checking as they do prior to muster...

The real important thing here is..

1. thank god everyone is ok ( as previously reported)

2. thank god they werent in the middle of the ocean, even if the fire was minor, I am sure that the panic and mayhem would have been much much worse.

concerning the picture with flames ...

RCCL twitter feed is reported to say

"The fire started in a mechanical space"

not the engine room as early reports from folks on board ... who may not know the difference

There are "mechanical spaces" ALL OVER a ship. Not all the machinery is in the engine room. For example, there are ventilation fan motors and electrical distribution panels all over the place! And it is not uncommon for storage of certain flammable liquids to be high and outside - away from pass' areas.

The picture suggests to me a mechanical space ABOVE the Viking Lounge, in the stack area. (a fairly 'common' problem in this area can be failing insulation to get 'lit off' by the stack (exhaust) heat)

A fire in a space like this could be quite "minor" as far as its impact to ship's operations.

Seems like it was quickly discovered and contained so give 'em points for that.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Occasionally the snoring from the other side of the bed is so loud that I will have to use ear plugs. With ear plugs, I am not hard of hearing but I am completely deaf. You could be yelling in my ear and I won't hear it.

Occasionally the snoring from the other side of the bed is so loud that I will have to use ear plugs. With ear plugs, I am not hard of hearing but I am completely deaf. You could be yelling in my ear and I won't hear it.
Where do you get those ear plugs -- the ones I have bought are not that good.

Mechanical space is any area not designated as Food, Beverage, Housekeeping. Stateroom, Public Rooms etc. It can even be a utility closet or locker area storing equipment. It is generally not the Engine Room. Can also be ventilation, fans etc. The smoke dissipation system is very sophisticated and a lot vents through the stacks, up and out,

Congratulations to the crew and staff for the handling of this situation.

According to royalcaribbean.com, the primary fire suppression system converts water to a mist and in galleys and engine spaces a combination of CO2 and mist is used.

The mist system is called Hi-Fog, and is used widely in many applications. I work with computer data centers and we use it also. The staterooms on Freedom/Oasis class ships have them also based on personal observation.

Where do you get those ear plugs -- the ones I have bought are not that good.

The ones that I have now are made by Flents and are foam. I think I got them from Wal-Mart. Squeeze them down to make a tight cylinder and ease them into your ear canal. Let it expand and you should be fine. The noise reduction rating should be displayed on the box. I suppose higher number means more sound is blocked.

Edited by gr8.guy

There's always the Carnival Sunshine as well. It's actually a nice ship!

Nope... it's booked this weekend. They do have very limited openings for their 7/31 8-night sailing. Just FYI..

I agree - a 24 hour hold is an excellent idea at this point! Assuming that they do that for sailings right around the corner.

Tom

Hello Tom, I agree about Sunshine, they did a very good job with her conversion.

Hello Tom, I agree about Sunshine, they did a very good job with her conversion.

I see you have the 9/25 Enchantment sailing in your signature. Is that your next sailing?

If so - we just booked that within the last couple of weeks. :)

Tom