Curtis Stone Restaurant and Chef's Table to Debut Across Princess Cruises Ships

LauraS

I don't believe the resturant on the ship will be a lot different than maude in Beverly Hills

Maybe, no way to tell, yet. But I'd just be surprised if they had a restaurant on a cruise ship with a cover charge of $95 or more. And how would it differ from the Chef's Table, then? I was thinking that the Chef's Table would be more like his restaurant.

Carnivals British line which is P&O have had celebrity chef restaurants for many years. The menus change every 7 days and the cover charge is significantly more in the region of £35 each which is about double that of Princess.

Therefore although a new restaurant would be nice I would like to keep the bargain prices.

By the way although Curtis Stone is supposed to have worked in London I for one have never heard of him. He certainly is not " internationally " famous here in the UK.

I am optimistically hoping that it will not only be a new menu but also an improved menu. ;)

I did not sail on Princess before the 1988 merger with Sitmar which had a fresh pasta course so I do not know if Princess had the nightly pasta course prior to the merger. I will be very unhappy if they no longer offer a nightly pasta course because most nights I enjoy an appetizer size serving of their tasty pasta.

In the information about Chef Stone there is a photo of him tossing pasta which is encouraging to me. :p

Just for fun, let me say that on the original Sun Princess, before the Sitmar merger, there was a table side prepared pasta dish, most every night. The waiters were mostly Italians, back then, so the pasta was fab! Those were the days:)

Never liked the IC on the Diamond/Sapphire. :(

Wow - I loved it - so spacious! Though with wireless available through out the ship, it probably isn't needed anymore.

Edited by Coral

“Crafted by Curtis” menu items offered in the main dining rooms will debut aboard Golden Princess in the fall and roll out fleetwide through the end of 2015. Menu items include chicken and leek pot pie, roasted pork belly with cognac apple sauce, and a selection of handmade pastas.

Chef Stone’s first restaurant at sea will debut in December aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles on cruises to Hawaii and Mexico. The rollout will continue on Coral Princess cruising the Panama Canal and then Sun Princess, which will bring Chef Stone’s restaurant to his home country, Australia.

Curtis Stone’s Chef’s Table experience will debut across the fleet beginning in early 2016.

It still looks like the new 'specialty' restaurants will only be on 4 ships and not fleetwide... any clarification on this?

Edited by kayzmarie

Just for fun' date=' let me say that on the original Sun Princess, before the Sitmar merger, there was a table side prepared pasta dish, most every night. The waiters were mostly Italians, back then, so the pasta was fab! Those were the days:)[/quote']

Thanks & hopefully that tradition continues with the new menus.

We sailed Sitmar's Fairwind in summer 1988 & six months later when the ship became the original Dawn Princess. Both had a pasta course but the great pizzeria was removed where like Alfredo's they had freshly baked pizza & calzone served at a table. :)

Sitmar had an all Italian crew & Portuguese assistant waiters and I've occasionally had one of them but not as many so many years later. Those were the days of white glove service from silver platters but also more expensive. ;)

Thanks & hopefully that tradition continues with the new menus.

We sailed Sitmar's Fairwind in summer 1988 & six months later when the ship became the original Dawn Princess. Both had a pasta course but the great pizzeria was removed where like Alfredo's they had freshly baked pizza & calzone served at a table. :)

Sitmar had an all Italian crew & Portuguese assistant waiters and I've occasionally had one of them but not as many so many years later. Those were the days of white glove service from silver platters but also more expensive. ;)

Thanks for your interesting thoughts and comments, as always.

As they used to say, back then... Buon appetito!

Carnivals British line which is P&O have had celebrity chef restaurants for many years. The menus change every 7 days and the cover charge is significantly more in the region of £35 each which is about double that of Princess.

Therefore although a new restaurant would be nice I would like to keep the bargain prices.

By the way although Curtis Stone is supposed to have worked in London I for one have never heard of him. He certainly is not " internationally " famous here in the UK.

I would like to see prices more in line with the current Princess cover charges, too. $75 or more seems a little high for Princess, except for the Chef's Table.

He trained under other chefs in London, I think. Maybe US and Australia is enough to qualify as "internationally known"? lol

As noted, I have eaten his food, at a charity event. Despite the fact he was cooking for a larger than restaurant crowd, I thought it was pretty good (2 items, one was a lamb with a berry sauce and the other was a puff pastry with a lamb and cheese filling if I recall).

That said, I know many non-celeb chefs who can match it, and of course he won't be on the ships preparing it. So just like any other 'celebrity chef' dining it all depends on the recipe, sourcing and execution, 2 of which he has little control over. How good he is as a chef is actually only minorly relevant.

Talking to a few people, here's what I expect (usual disclaimer, RUMOR only):

The new venue will be considered a test run for future expansion across the fleet.

I would expect a slight increase in the current premium, probably $35 and along with that a menu focusing on more fresh ingredients.

I would expect 1 item per night on the menu based on one of his recipes.

The Chef's table will retain the same format and pricing but with a different menu (its due for an update) possibly with a focus on Australian wines. I wonder (have no idea) if this will also happen on Royal/Regal because of their different CT.

Talking to a few people, here's what I expect (usual disclaimer, RUMOR only):

The new venue will be considered a test run for future expansion across the fleet.

I would expect a slight increase in the current premium, probably $35 and along with that a menu focusing on more fresh ingredients.

I would expect 1 item per night on the menu based on one of his recipes.

The Chef's table will retain the same format and pricing but with a different menu (its due for an update) possibly with a focus on Australian wines. I wonder (have no idea) if this will also happen on Royal/Regal because of their different CT.

When there is a chance to raise prices, Princess will run with that. :(

Have you eaten his food?

I'll echo Loonbeam's post above. I have had his food (with him supervising in the kitchen) at a "visiting chef's dinner" akin to the James Beard House. And I've done a dozen or two more with other "celebrity chefs". Stone's food was fine but it didn't stand out the way Daniel Boulud's or Thomas Keller's did. And as Loonbeam points out, it's not like he will be in the galley (outside of the launching cruise perhsps). I'm not saying this is a bad idea. Any upgraded dining option is fine with me. I just don't get all flushed about the fact that his name is attached to it. I'd love to see the west coast, Australian and Asian sailing ships partner with Ming Tsai and do an "East Meets West" dining venue.

I'd love to see the west coast, Australian and Asian sailing ships partner with Ming Tsai and do an "East Meets West" dining venue.

I'll second that - Chef Tsai's talent is underrated IMO.

Grey

Princess could do for Curtis Stone what HAL does with its Le Cirque menu--have it takeover the steakhouse for a night. On HAL, they redecorate the room with photos from Le Cirque, use china from Le Cirque, and present a limited menu of special dishes from the restaurant's menu. We've done it twice and loved it both times.

• 3 weeks later...
This is a good thing! I spoke to a waiter a couple of years ago that has worked for Princess for over 15 years, and he/she (don't want to get anyone in trouble) told me that the basic menu has not changed in over 10 years.

Think we all knew that already. ;)

This is a good thing! I spoke to a waiter a couple of years ago that has worked for Princess for over 15 years, and he/she (don't want to get anyone in trouble) told me that the basic menu has not changed in over 10 years. I am very pleased to try something new!

Thanks for this information. I'm new to Princess and want to learn and this is helpful. I appreciate your sharing.

This is a good thing! I spoke to a waiter a couple of years ago that has worked for Princess for over 15 years, and he/she (don't want to get anyone in trouble) told me that the basic menu has not changed in over 10 years. I am very pleased to try something new!

The basic menu has changed a several times in the last five years.

One major change was (among other changes) when the homestyle choice was added each evening.

More recently the menus have been changed to include more dishes involving the area being cruised (Caribbean, Alaska, etc.) while certain items (example vanilla creme brulee) have been added every night.