Flights from Canadian Cities to FLL

lastrooney

We've used Sunwing out of Toronto the last 3 flights down.

Long gone are the cheap $99 Florida Flights. :mad:

Just curious as to what different airlines Canadians use to fly down to Fort Lauderdale?

Drive over Niagara border into the US and fly from IAG airport via the cheapy airlines Spirit and Allegiant...Allegiant covers Orlando sanford and tampa areas while Spirit covers Fort Lauderdale... Spirit comes out with new deals every day or 2nd day you just have to keep checking each day after 11am. Many times you can fly for around $50 each way plus checked bag fee at $30 each way.. Best deal I ever seen from IAG was $25 each way.

Although we are not in Toronto - we are in Montreal we use Spirit all the time from usa border in state of new york.

We just booked a few days ago on a super deal and paid $34.10 each way per person *($68.20 roundtrip) for direct flight to FLL.... Yes cheaper then a case of beer in Canada :) or cheaper then the Canadian airline taxes lol... we are flying 4 people for cheaper then one ticket on a Canadian airline

Edited by jb456

Drive over Niagara border into the US and fly from IAG airport via the cheapy airlines Spirit and Allegiant..

wow I just checked Spirit flight for our cruise in Nov

Great deal $182 USD pp bare fare

flight dep 2:28 am arr 5:28 am on the outbound

10:35 pm arr 1:28am for the inbound

plus an extra night in a hotel because they only fly certain days

the good news is they are non stop flights

May not work for everyone ;)

wow I just checked Spirit flight for our cruise in Nov

Great deal $182 USD pp bare fare

flight dep 2:28 am arr 5:28 am on the outbound

10:35 pm arr 1:28am for the inbound

plus an extra night in a hotel because they only fly certain days

the good news is they are non stop flights

May not work for everyone ;)

Yes Spirit does fly at night and certain days so it would work for people that have a bit of leeway on vacation depending on what deal is out. As mentioned deals / prices change every 1 or 2 days. To check when new deal is coming out just click on the deal and the next page will tell you when it runs till. For example the one right now says "Book by: 11:59PM on July 23, 2015" So at midnight the 24th the deal disappears, plane prices revert back to normal and after 11am EST the 24th there is a new deal. One day a ticket might be $108 and the next $48.

July 20th they had 1 day deal and all tickets(minus a few dates in between / here and there) from IAG and PBG for Sept, Oct, Nov and few dates beginning of Dec were $34.10 each way.

We actually purchased 11 roundtrip flights for various family for Sept, Oct and Nov.... total without bag fee just for flights came to $750.20USD or $977.40 CAD

What Canadian airline can compete with that? LOL 11 roundtrip flights for the price of probably two and half Canadian airline tickets. I don't care what time they fly at or if I need an extra hotel for a night at those prices. Plus parking at airport is cheaper then Canadian airport parking.. From the airport we fly from it's also a night flight...nice no one on highway for the 45 minute drive across border and no line ups at border either at that time :) - We normally leave around 11pm for a 2:30am flight.. get over border, pick up a last few items at 24 hour walmart then at airport by 12:45pm.

Your right though, might not be for everyone but should help someone. Judging by the cars parked at those airports its all 98% Canadian using this option since every plate is either Quebec or Ontario lol...We use them (including other family members) about a total of 20 times a year for the last few years and have no complaints for the substantial savings.

Edited by jb456

Here is our receipt of what we paid for 4 people round trip. We only needed one checked bag at $30 each way as we have a vaca home in Florida and majority of our stuff is already there.

TIP --- Don't get sucked in booking carryon on bags. The price is actually more then a checked bag.. Spirit allows one personal item free each to carry on plane that can't be bigger then 16”x14”x12”

Small backpack/school bags are those sizes as well as smaller carry-ons.. Use that for free as a carry on then when on vaca you can use the backpack as a beach bag for towels and stuff.

TIP 2- They charge for seats but you don't have to buy them.. At online checkin 24 hours before departure when checking in for the flight your assigned seats for free. As long as your party is booked all together 9 out of 10 times the system automatically sits you together, or like across the row. Out of the many flights we have taken we were always together besides once one person was seated the row in front. Sure I guess there could be a chance that someone is in row 10 and another in 18 but its the chance you take to save and for a short flight not really a big deal.

Best of luck deal searching :D

Untitled.jpg

Edited by jb456

We usually fly Jetblue out of Syracuse and always get a flight under $300 us. This year, we opted to fly out of Albany NY - Southwest down ($139 pp) and Jetblue back ($114 pp) both non stop flights!

I'd much rather spend an extra hour or two in the comfort of my car rather than connecting somewhere and run the risk of delays - especially in winter weather.

I agree, we haven't flown out of Toronto in years. Last couple cruises we have done direct flights with Delta out of DTW. Flying out of BUF is also super easy with JetBlue and Southwest as great options.

From Ottawa, I have used West Jet, Air Canada, and US Airways via PHL. I much preferred West Jet or Air Canada when I can get a direct flight, but when no direct flight, I do prefer US Air via PHL, because I can pre clear US customs in Ottawa. I absolutely hate hate hate! clearing customs in Toronto Pearson or Montreal because they never give you enough time. I would consider driving down to Syracuse NY, but not in the late fall or winter.

jb456...which airport are you flying from in NY state? thanks

Edited by SMSACE6

Depends on what's available for the time that we want to book.

For our cruise in April we're flying to FLL on Air Transat. The price dropped one morning so we grabbed tickets. Then went up again later that day.

PS - We did look at flying out of Buffalo, but the prices weren't any cheaper. Maybe it was too far in advance from when we booked.

Edited by LuCruise

Depends on where you live & how far of a drive across the border

time of year ..roads can be bad in winter in the central & eastern Provinces

I have compared airfares both sides of the border but for us we would have to get a hotel before the flight & then when we return so any savings in driving to the USA is wiped out

Compare your options

Check some of the charter flights from Sunwing & Air Transat maybe other tour operators

If I lived an hour from a border town it may be doable

I am willing to pay for flights from YYZ just to avoid the 3+ hr drive on the 401/QEW

YMMD

Edited by LHT28

Depends on where you live & how far of a drive across the border

time of year ..roads can be bad in winter in the central & eastern Provinces

I have compared airfares both sides of the border but for us we would have to get a hotel before the flight & then when we return so any savings in driving to the USA is wiped out

That is exactly our situation; we live more than 400 miles from the nearest US airport and to travel that distance in the winter can be precarious at best. Then, factoring in the additional hotels required both ways, eats up any savings there might be had by departing from a US airport. It makes more sense to take a taxi from our home to the airport and let the airline take over from there.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree - if you are close to a border city with cheaper flight options that is the way to go - however as indicated I often cruise in the winter and would not even think of adding that drive (approx 3-4 hrs for me) - the savings would not be worth it...and I prefer being able to board here and make changes should the weather become an issue!:eek::rolleyes:

I've never had worse service than I have had with Spirit.

They have a fantastic direct flight from my hometown of Myrtle Beach and I'll only fly them if I'm not checking baggage.

The have zero customer service.

Twice we have flown right out of London Ontario, connecting in Detroit, for around $300CDN. Sadly, those days are gone and so are the flights to Detroit. Other times, we have driven to Detroit and flown direct from there. This coming year, we are driving to Buffalo and taking Southwest. Non-stop flights, great times (afternoon departure going down, just before noon departure coming back from FLL). Free checked baggage, and a free extra "customer of size" seat lol. The dollar has hurt the costs a bit, but it was still around $300 CDN after we added the automatic checkin. Toronto would be a quicker drive for us, but not at those fares. If I lived right in Toronto and it was a big deal to go to a US airport, I would pay for the convenience and fly from home.

For those in the GTA, Buffalo-area hotels are a no-brainer. Unless I am travelling on business and the flights are expensed, I never use Pearson. Not to mention the hard cost, but front-door-to-gate time at Buffalo is a fraction that of Pearson because the airport is a quarter the size!

We are flying out of BUF to FLL for our upcoming OAS cruise at the end of August. I got us 4 tickets roundtrip on Southwest, flying non-stop on the days and times I wanted for CAD$1692.64. Comparable flights out of YYZ would have been $2600.

I do wish I had know about Spirit, though. Some crazy-cheap prices mentioned in this thread. I will be checking them out next time!

I also vote for flying out of Buffalo.

Looks like you're in TO so it's an easy drive and saves you a fortune!

we booked Jet Blue for an upcoming cruise and paid $230 return for a direct flight to FL. Southwest would have been double that and out of Pearson quadruple.

We are flying out of BUF to FLL for our upcoming OAS cruise at the end of August. I got us 4 tickets roundtrip on Southwest, flying non-stop on the days and times I wanted for CAD$1692.64.

That's what we paid for 2 to fly to FLL rtn. We have to book as soon as we can because the flights fill up and once they're gone, they don't put on another aircraft, we are just out of luck. Ah, the perils of living on and trying to escape from the "frozen tundra." LOL

That's what we paid for 2 to fly to FLL rtn. We have to book as soon as we can because the flights fill up and once they're gone, they don't put on another aircraft, we are just out of luck. Ah, the perils of living on and trying to escape from the "frozen tundra." LOL

$1700 for two? Crazy! It's unfortunate on where you reside to not be able to get better deals and not really the option to drive anywhere with a better price unless you were willing to take a long road trip and extended vacation to stop a night after the drive.

Only one I know of from Saskatoon is a 7.5 hour drive over border to Bismark ND.. Allegiant flies direct to Orlando Sanford for around $150 roundtrip per person. Only reason I know this is a family member lives near Regina but closer to border (still a 4.5 hour drive for them) but they use that route.