Hanging a Hammock

Ncsblj6430

TECHNICALLY the rules say that you may not leave anything on the veranda.

I'd think they may especially say NO to a hammock for safety reasons.

I've had them remove my wind sock decorations in the past. Came back to cabin, and they were neatly folded on my table.

Edited by cle-guy

Excellent! Thanks for providing the pictures. I am in a wheelchair and the balcony chairs are not real conclusive to take an afternoon nap in. Have you personally hung a hammock on the balcony or are these pictures from cruise critic?

Have you personally hung a hammock on the balcony or are these pictures from cruise critic?

No, I am afraid of hammocks ever since my buddies played a practical joke on me a few years back while I slept.

Extreme-Hammock-Adventure-in-Monte-Piana-7.jpg

Unless such a hammock is demonstrably proven to be fire retardant, it will absolutely (and should be) forbidden. This may have been caused by a towel catching on fire.

Liffridge-43(2).jpg

Which likely happened by someone not following several rules: the nothing on the veranda rule, the NO SMOKING on the veranda rule, and the NO tossing trash overboard rule.

A prime example of a cascading disaster, any of the individual actions wouldn't have done a thing, but somehow this time, things lined up and 3 insignificant events came together to cause a disaster. Its exactly why cruise lines have rules, we may not understand the signifigance of something so small as please don't leave anything not he veranda could be in place to protect lives.

Unless such a hammock is demonstrably proven to be fire retardant, it will absolutely (and should be) forbidden. This may have been caused by a towel catching on fire.

Liffridge-43(2).jpg

Never heard anything about a towel causing that, a tossed cigarette was reported to be the likely cause.

Anyway there's these guys to put out Hammock fires, not sure if they "only" do hammocks made from cedar

Gold-Leaf-CHFR.jpg

Never heard anything about a towel causing that, a tossed cigarette was reported to be the likely cause.

A tossed cigarette igniting a towel was one of the theories, although there were others and none conclusively proven.

TECHNICALLY the rules say that you may not leave anything on the veranda.

I'd think they may especially say NO to a hammock for safety reasons.

I've had them remove my wind sock decorations in the past. Came back to cabin, and they were neatly folded on my table.

TECHNICALLY, the hammock would be above the verandah, not on it. :)

Liffridge-43(2).jpg

Is your photo the STAR Princess? We were booked TA on her and had to go NCL Jewel because of 150 cabins burned by careless guest.

Don't know about Celebrity but here's a picture of a hammock on an aft balcony on Navigator of the Seas. I believe this gentleman picks this particular cabin for the ease of hanging the hammock. He does it on all his cruises. The picture may be useful in showing the issues in how you might hang one. It's post number 12 in case the link doesn't take you to the exact post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47127345&highlight=hammock#post47127345

I think the search function within the Royal Caribbean forum may show more pictures.

Thats my DH in the orange shirt in the above pictures. The hammock is hung by Husky velcro straps with hooks that go around the metal structure,

2jdffux.jpg

both the straps and the ships structure will hold many more lbs than he weighs. We left ours up on several trips and the steward only complimented us on it. We've had 7388 Mariner and other large aft balconies. You can't hang one on the side balconies at least with RCL. Haven't tried with X because we've only been to Alaska on X.

For the rule inforcers....it can be taken down easily when you are not out there. Unless the ship comes out with specific rules for "No hammocks" we will continue taking one. I fail to see how different our hammock is from some of the plastic wicker loungers which would burn just as easily.

Edited by BecciBoo

Thats my DH in the orange shirt in the above pictures. The hammock is hung by Husky velcro straps with hooks that go around the metal structure,

2jdffux.jpg

both the straps and the ships structure will hold many more lbs than he weighs. We left ours up on several trips and the steward only complimented us on it. We've had 7388 Mariner and other large aft balconies. You can't hang one on the side balconies at least with RCL. Haven't tried with X because we've only been to Alaska on X.

For the rule inforcers....it can be taken down easily when you are not out there. Unless the ship comes out with specific rules for "No hammocks" we will continue taking one. I fail to see how different our hammock is from some of the plastic wicker loungers which would burn just as easily.

Or the drapes, sheets, carpeting, overloaded outlets with electronics charging all night and the list goes on.