Marinetraffic and Vesselfinder

FuelScience

Does anyone on the board understand the differences between MarineTraffic.com and VesselFinder.com. I've been following the Vantage River Navigator as it moves toward Bonn.

When the Navigator was on the Danube, I was able to follow it using VesselFinder.com while MarineTraffic stopped tracking it quite a ways downriver. Then when it got to Riedenburg (maybe 1/4-1/3 of the way between Regensburg and Nuremberg) 2 days ago, it disappeared from Vesselfinder, with Riedenburg still being shown as the last position received.

Now it's showing up on MarineTraffic.com in real time (near Schweinfurt updated 1 minute ago). MarineTraffic.com also showed it docked in Nuremberg.

I would have thought that the two services would feature almost identical information, but they obviously don't. Anybody know exactly what the deal is?

FuelScience

both systems rely on the voluntary contribution of data collected from a shore site ...

MARINETRAFFIC FAQS:

Our base stations are equipped with an AIS receiver, a PC and an Internet connection. The AIS unit receives data, which are processed by simple software on the PC and then sent to a central database by means of a ‘web service’. This software is free for anyone interested, under a GNU license. (Read section 'Cover your Area' for more information on how to install your own AIS base station).

VESSELFINDER FAQS: Most of our data is based on http://www.AisHub.net If your area is not covered, you could share your AIS data with AisHub so we can display it on VesselFinder.

Holes in each system's coverage are due simply to the lack of a participating station to forward the data to a central site. remember that AIS is a VHF-FM system which makes it relatively short range so low density areas can have few or no participating stations ... (and also explains why you don't see results for vessels "on the high seas" ...) the reporting stations are on land and typically 'see' about 20 miles, plus or minus depending on antenna height

both sites FAQ provide additional info about their service and AIS in general.

Edited by Capt_BJ

remember that AIS is a VHF-FM system which makes it relatively short range so low density areas can have few or no participating stations ... (and also explains why you don't see results for vessels "on the high seas" ...) the reporting stations are on land and typically 'see' about 20 miles, plus or minus depending on antenna height

As an avionics tech I will tell you that VHF system have a line of sight distance of no more than 25 nautical miles.

both systems rely on the voluntary contribution of data collected from a shore site ...

MARINETRAFFIC FAQS:

Our base stations are equipped with an AIS receiver, a PC and an Internet connection. The AIS unit receives data, which are processed by simple software on the PC and then sent to a central database by means of a ‘web service’. This software is free for anyone interested, under a GNU license. (Read section 'Cover your Area' for more information on how to install your own AIS base station).

VESSELFINDER FAQS: Most of our data is based on http://www.AisHub.net If your area is not covered, you could share your AIS data with AisHub so we can display it on VesselFinder.

Holes in each system's coverage are due simply to the lack of a participating station to forward the data to a central site. remember that AIS is a VHF-FM system which makes it relatively short range so low density areas can have few or no participating stations ... (and also explains why you don't see results for vessels "on the high seas" ...) the reporting stations are on land and typically 'see' about 20 miles, plus or minus depending on antenna height

As an avionics tech I will tell you that VHF system have a line of sight distance of no more than 25 nautical miles.

WOW......nothing else, just WOW...you guys are smart!!! :D

OP

I play with MarineTraffic and frankly had never seen the other one b4 today!

BUT

if you play around with MarineTraffic you can find a map of the participating station locations ....

AND when you look at a vessel, you can did thru the data and discover which station it was that captured the position report!

Some of this might require you to 'join' .... I have a free account and have NEVER rec'd SPAM that I could blame them for . .

Does anyone on the board understand the differences between MarineTraffic.com and VesselFinder.com. I've been following the Vantage River Navigator as it moves toward Bonn.

When the Navigator was on the Danube, I was able to follow it using VesselFinder.com while MarineTraffic stopped tracking it quite a ways downriver. Then when it got to Riedenburg (maybe 1/4-1/3 of the way between Regensburg and Nuremberg) 2 days ago, it disappeared from Vesselfinder, with Riedenburg still being shown as the last position received.

Now it's showing up on MarineTraffic.com in real time (near Schweinfurt updated 1 minute ago). MarineTraffic.com also showed it docked in Nuremberg.

I would have thought that the two services would feature almost identical information, but they obviously don't. Anybody know exactly what the deal is?

FuelScience

I just joined marinetraffic.com. This is so much fun!! I've got a fleet of ships that I'm tracking and dinner will be late tonight :D

I too have been playing around with marinetraffic.com a bit and found out the coverage of any particular station varies. One I was looking at on the Rhine was actually down for a day or two. It appears also that due to the rocks in the Middle Rhine valley coverage is not always 100%, although this year it has been better than last year. There is still a little stretch - again I reckon it is the hills (the Seven Hills mountain range) - between Bad Breisig and Bad Honnef just before Bonn that has no coverage.

Yes, nancyevans, I find the images better than on google maps, too.

I very much enjoy browsing through the photos taken by lots of "volunteers" that are connected to the google maps Earth site. Great when following the route of a ship I find.

notamermaid

What browsers are people using for the marinetraffic site? I use explorer and have a horrible time with the site.

I'm using Google Chrome and I love it....so much that I dumped IE and my back up is Firefox but I rarely use it.

I'm using Google Chrome and I love it....so much that I dumped IE and my back up is Firefox but I rarely use it.

Thanks. I'll try Chrome. I have had to use that for some other sites...seems more and more are not compatible with Explorer.

Thanks. I'll try Chrome. I have had to use that for some other sites...seems more and more are not compatible with Explorer.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I dumped it....that and the report that IE was one of the easiest browsers to hack! Of course, I know that none of them are totally secure but I don't do any personal or financial stuff on line anyway.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I dumped it....that and the report that IE was one of the easiest browsers to hack! Of course, I know that none of them are totally secure but I don't do any personal or financial stuff on line anyway.

Hydrokitty...there is a possibility we were on the same Louis Cruise (Greece & Turkey) in 2006. My recall is we went in May on Louis Pearl.

Hydrokitty...there is a possibility we were on the same Louis Cruise (Greece & Turkey) in 2006. My recall is we went in May on Louis Pearl.

Wouldn't that be something!! We went in October with Trafalgar. Actually, it was two trips back to back,(which is why we chose Trafalgar as they were the only ones who worked it so you could do land and sea without having to spend 3-4 nights in a hotel waiting for the ship). We started with the land tour, which was Best of Greece and ended on the Louis Perla for 5-7 days to Istanbul, Ephesus and the Islands. It was one of my favorite trips and we met people we're still friends with. I really liked the Perla.....she was old and quirky (bathroom so small that when I dropped the soap in the shower I had to open the bathroom door to pick it up!) but the food was exceptional and to this day I still compare food on every trip to the Perla...come close but haven't beaten it yet!

FuelScience

FuelScience, On marinetraffic.com, I'm seeing the Vantage River Navigator as now docked at Wurzburg, right on schedule. Discovered that there are two River Navigators - the German-registered Vantage one, and a Maltese-registered one also in the area. Now I've got three trackers to play with, and counting - vesselfinder, shipfinder, and marinetraffic - to keep track of the Vantage ship. Thanks for asking this question.

FuelScience, On marinetraffic.com, I'm seeing the Vantage River Navigator as now docked at Wurzburg, right on schedule. Discovered that there are two River Navigators - the German-registered Vantage one, and a Maltese-registered one also in the area. Now I've got three trackers to play with, and counting - vesselfinder, shipfinder, and marinetraffic - to keep track of the Vantage ship. Thanks for asking this question.

I thought our Navigator was registered in Malta. The new ships are registered in Germany, or at least the Discovery II is....or is it registered in both countries? I just went to shipfinder and found a Navigator in Cologne, headed for Amsterdam (ours) and another one near Belgrade.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Wouldn't that be something!! We went in October with Trafalgar. Actually, it was two trips back to back,(which is why we chose Trafalgar as they were the only ones who worked it so you could do land and sea without having to spend 3-4 nights in a hotel waiting for the ship). We started with the land tour, which was Best of Greece and ended on the Louis Perla for 5-7 days to Istanbul, Ephesus and the Islands. It was one of my favorite trips and we met people we're still friends with. I really liked the Perla.....she was old and quirky (bathroom so small that when I dropped the soap in the shower I had to open the bathroom door to pick it up!) but the food was exceptional and to this day I still compare food on every trip to the Perla...come close but haven't beaten it yet!

We did a similar land and cruise trip at the time (but in May) with Transat Holidays. Did land in Italy and Greece and week cruise on the Perla doing Istanbul, Ephesus and the islands. Our first trip to Greece and Italy and set us up for a number of returns since. The Perla was a sweet old boat; I believe it had been with Norwegian lines before sold to Louis lines.

Edited by banditoo

LOL, it used to be a sign of sloppy programming when a website only worked well with Explorer and we Safari users were left out. Now the shoe is on the other foot!

I thought our Navigator was registered in Malta. The new ships are registered in Germany, or at least the Discovery II is....or is it registered in both countries? I just went to shipfinder and found a Navigator in Cologne, headed for Amsterdam (ours) and another one near Belgrade.

I found two AmaDagio listings -- not a common name, eh? -- registered in two different countries. Only the Germany one is active and pictures of the stern show "Hamburg," so maybe the company re-registered the ship and marinetraffic failed to delete the obsolete listing.

I found two AmaDagio listings -- not a common name, eh? -- registered in two different countries. Only the Germany one is active and pictures of the stern show "Hamburg," so maybe the company re-registered the ship and marinetraffic failed to delete the obsolete listing.

Makes sense. I did note on one of the sites that when I looked closely at the date of the info, it was 2014!!! Trouble is one search leads to another and that leads to another and another and dinner is late again. :D