Giving the Prinsendam another chance!

Vict0riann

Hopefully, third try lucky...:) The first time we booked a cruise on the Elegant Explorer, we had to cancel, and the second time, she turned out to be a "plague ship". This third time, a similar itinerary to No.2, we have booked a guarantee through our new Personal Cruise Consultant. Hope she can come through for us, she said she will be able to upgrade us three or four categories, and the cruise has the explore4 promo. She did price it for us with and without the explore4, and the difference was only about $500, so we decided to keep the explore4, as the cruise is 30 days. We will keep checking to see if the price goes down considerably more and it becomes worthwhile to give it up.

I have a few misgivings about this guarantee thing; never done it before, but a cruise is a cruise, and the price was right! It's nice to have something more to look forward to.

Have we done the right thing?

Hopefully, third try lucky...:) The first time we booked a cruise on the Elegant Explorer, we had to cancel, and the second time, she turned out to be a "plague ship". This third time, a similar itinerary to No.2, we have booked a guarantee through our new Personal Cruise Consultant. Hope she can come through for us, she said she will be able to upgrade us three or four categories, and the cruise has the explore4 promo. She did price it for us with and without the explore4, and the difference was only about $500, so we decided to keep the explore4, as the cruise is 30 days. We will keep checking to see if the price goes down considerably more and it becomes worthwhile to give it up.

I have a few misgivings about this guarantee thing; never done it before, but a cruise is a cruise, and the price was right! It's nice to have something more to look forward to.

Of course you have! Stop worrying - wish we could join you.;)

It's called the Holy Land and New World Explorer, October of 2016. Actually, Cruz Chic, the first Prinsendam one we booked was the Amazon, but we had to cancel it. Next year, we have a "hot" cruise in the Spring, so we decided on a cooler one for the Autumn. The Amazon is still on the agenda sometime! Hope the Prinsendam is around for a while.

It's called the Holy Land and New World Explorer, October of 2016. Actually, Cruz Chic, the first Prinsendam one we booked was the Amazon, but we had to cancel it. Next year, we have a "hot" cruise in the Spring, so we decided on a cooler one for the Autumn. The Amazon is still on the agenda sometime! Hope the Prinsendam is around for a while.

You should enjoy that one, so you will be doing the TA as well? nice.

Love this ship on the TA's and the nice buffets on the Lido.

I wish you well on your guarantee. Only did it once in the last decade and made out well. I hope you do too :) Enjoy my favourite ship. :)

ditto to her being around. Long may she sail :)

What are the aft-balcony cabins like on the Prinsendam?

I don't know, perhaps someone else will respond. Last time we were in a suite, and it was lovely, with amazing woodwork and very spacious. This time we have booked an outside guarantee. I think it will be alright, as it will be autumn, and I will be able to get some fresh air if I need it on the LP deck!

What are the aft-balcony cabins like on the Prinsendam?

what are you looking to know? They are not expansive balconies like on the vistas and other ships.

The afts are all new additions (I think I am right there) from the drydock after HAl took over the ship (I think it was two dry docks ago?)

there have been complaints about the rooms - noise, vibration, pool sloshing, etc.

Last cruise someone was there and said no issues at all.

The aft cabins that were installed are NOT like the Prinsendam cabins. They are more of a standard HAL cabin and lack the character of the regular Prinsendam cabins. JMO though.

I hope you have a wonderful time. I take guarantees all the time and I'm usually happy with what I get. That said, if I'm booking an oceanview I'll usually book my room on a vista or signature ship because I don't like the location of some of the rooms. I know nothing about the prinsendam.

I hope you have a wonderful time. I take guarantees all the time and I'm usually happy with what I get. That said, if I'm booking an oceanview I'll usually book my room on a vista or signature ship because I don't like the location of some of the rooms. I know nothing about the prinsendam.

Glad to hear you've had luck with guarantees, it goes against every instinct for me! I need to be in control...:eek: I am going to be on tenterhooks for the next 15 months.

Let me know when you do the Amazon, and I will join you! I hope to get to it within the next couple of years.

If I were you I wouldn't go, it's a small old ship....

Hope all goes well and you make your cruise.

Years ago we were scheduled to be on the Prinsendam for an Amazon cruise. Our cruise was cancelled because she had to go into an emergency dry dock. HAL transferred our reservation to the same cruise for the following year. But sadly DH's yellow fever shot expired way before the cruise and he can no longer get one. Back then there were problems with cruise lines not accepting doctor letters so we had to cancel.

Why do I get the feeling that Sir PMP is trying to keep the ship for himself????:cool:

because you are very astute :)

it's impossible to achieve - she has too many fans. sorry Sir PMP

Want to keep it for yourself, huh?

By the way, a trip up the Amazon is wonderful. I did not think I would like it as much as I did.... would love to repeat.

Susan

I agree, we did that cruise on the Maasdam earlier this year. It is a very unique cruise.

what are you looking to know? They are not expansive balconies like on the vistas and other ships.

The afts are all new additions (I think I am right there) from the drydock after HAl took over the ship (I think it was two dry docks ago?)

there have been complaints about the rooms - noise, vibration, pool sloshing, etc.

Last cruise someone was there and said no issues at all.

The aft cabins that were installed are NOT like the Prinsendam cabins. They are more of a standard HAL cabin and lack the character of the regular Prinsendam cabins. JMO though.

Yes those are the AB cabins. We have booked a AA vista suite for a transatlantic next spring. Based on what I have read we avoided the newer AB cabins.

Yes those are the AB cabins. We have booked a AA vista suite for a transatlantic next spring. Based on what I have read we avoided the newer AB cabins.

I think you chose well. I've heard a lot more negatives about the AB's than positive. JMO.

We have spent just over 150 days on the Prinsendam and could probably right a book about all that is wrong with this tired old vessel. That being said, she remains our favorite HAL ship :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner