Rude Passengers

sarasfw

We do the same! On a longer cruise we were waiting for a table in the Anytime dining room so we were just to the right of the double doors somewhat on the exit side when a gentleman and his poor wife who he was pushing in a wheelchair started absolutely berating the poor hostess about "what a sham Anytime dining was and it is not anytime if you cannot walk right up and eat anytime you want and who makes the rules up here and on and on". The hostess Ana just stood there smiling and taking it which made him even more furious. The MD then arrived and tried to take us to our table but we insisted that we were fine and that he should take care of poor Ana first which he did.

Afterwards we gave her a big hug on the way out and told her that we appreciated everything she did and that we were in her corner if anything was said. We ended up not waiting long if ever any other night and she always had a huge smile when we greeted her.

For what its worth I think we saw the gentleman a few other times around the ship and he looked miserable every time. We nicknamed him Grumplestiltskin

Hopefully, Grumplestiltskin was so unhappy that he will never inflict himself on another cruise ship staff.

This is certainly an interesting topic. Having cruise for over almost 20 years now and on lines from Royal, to Princess, to Celebrity and HAL, I have to say that I have seen a change in my fellow cruisers (or is it I now pay more attention to other's behavior and attitudes as I have aged?).

There is no one age group or income level that I can peg as being the most rude or stuck up or condescending. What I can say is that the sense of entitlement I see in people under the age of about 25, is staggering to me. These spoiled little prince and princesses have never been told NO in their life and have been bailed out and made excuses for by their self-absorbed parents. Children are not being taught common courtesy any longer, even in the South, good manners are falling by the wayside.

Now when I do encounter a polite and well mannered younger person, I will make an effort to reply in kind.

But the little devil in me also likes to call out the rude little snots by loudly saying please, thank you or your welcome.

When someone is rude to you, another passenger, a crew member, the kid behind the counter at McDonald's, call them out on it. Their parents never taught them better, so how else are the little snots going to learn?

Mike

When someone is rude to you, another passenger, a crew member, the kid behind the counter at McDonald's, call them out on it.

Mike

I agree. I was in line at the omelet station when the woman right behind me cut around me and placed her order with the cook. I had paused briefly for the cook to give some indication to advance toward them as I had seen those ahead of me get a signal from the cook to move forward. When the woman cut past I spoke up to the cook saying "this woman jumped the line and I would like to order first." The cook started my eggs and then asked the line jumper what she wanted. This rude woman looked at me with the stink eye and I said to her: "you could have asked me to move forward, you didn't have to be rude." I swear this 67 ish year old woman replied: "I'm just not that nice a person."

Edited by AHS123

Being rude can take many forms. Once there was this teenager who walked into buffet from the sport deck. He was soaked in sweat and stank to high heaven. When he sat down to eat, you could see people picking up their plates and moved away to find another table. I was one of them.

...This rude woman looked at me with the stink eye and I said to her: "you could have asked me to move forward, you didn't have to be rude." I swear this 67 ish year old woman replied: "I'm just not that nice a person."

Well, at least she was aware of her bad behavior. What really concerns me are how many have no clue these days. They have never seen or been taught basic good manners :(.

Well, at least she was aware of her bad behavior. What really concerns me are how many have no clue these days. They have never seen or been taught basic good manners :(.

and yet she felt compelled to compound her rude behavior by giving ME the stink eye, which was my point ;)

Edited by AHS123

• 2 months later...
It is unfortunate, but there are people who feel they are better than everyone else

On Ventura cruise to Madeira just two weeks ago, my wife and me went up to breakfast and as luck would have it a couple were just vacating a double next to the window. As I looked around the breakfast room I saw a round table, the sort with a semi circle of cushions next to wall and a couple were sat at the table. He sat on an arm chair at one end of the semi circle, and she sat on an armchair at the other end of the circle. They had their coats books etc on another armchair between them. They were not going to let any other passengers on THEIR table. This is just as bad as towels on loungers. I was desperately looking for an opening to join them on THEIR table. Talk about dogs in a manger.

On Ventura cruise to Madeira just two weeks ago, my wife and me went up to breakfast and as luck would have it a couple were just vacating a double next to the window. As I looked around the breakfast room I saw a round table, the sort with a semi circle of cushions next to wall and a couple were sat at the table. He sat on an arm chair at one end of the semi circle, and she sat on an armchair at the other end of the circle. They had their coats books etc on another armchair between them. They were not going to let any other passengers on THEIR table. This is just as bad as towels on loungers. I was desperately looking for an opening to join them on THEIR table. Talk about dogs in a manger.

So why didn't you just ask in a nice way "is it ok if we join you?" Or ask " are these seats taken?" All you need to do is ask politely. That usually works for me and DW. Not a big deal as there are tables that vacate frequently.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

we all meet rude people everyday in one form or another? it may be in the workplace or walking along the street, or possibly on the holiday that you have worked/waited and saved up for all year ?

don't get angry or react hastily, because that's what they want you to do.

all rude people just need a "high-five"..........on the head......with a chair.

see, problem solved ? :D

Oh, why isn't there a like button here? Love the "high 5 with a chair" !

I agree. We do our best to ignore these folks but there are times when enough is enough and that is when we take then and throw them overboard.

I nearly got into a fight when this thug(for want of a better word)was physically pushing a staff member around on Celebrity Eclipse one night. I intervened & we nearly came to blows. I had to push him away several times. when I told him I'd break his leg with my steel toed shoes(yes, really)He backed off. We wound up with a bottle of wine & a complimentary lunch in Murano the next day. The guy wasn't booted off, but was banned for life from RCCL & it's subsidiaries, once we disembarked. The staff member was the Captain's Club manager. Being in the hospitality field, I'm quite willing to defend those in our field when I'm on vacation. For those who say "turn the other cheek", well after a while your face really starts to hurt, until you say enough's enough!

we all meet rude people everyday in one form or another? it may be in the workplace or walking along the street, or possibly on the holiday that you have worked/waited and saved up for all year ?

don't get angry or react hastily, because that's what they want you to do.

all rude people just need a "high-five"..........on the head......with a chair.

see, problem solved ? :D

My wife put me in the hospital. Really?? What happened? She hit me on the head with an Oak leaf! An Oak leaf put you in the hospital? Really? Well, yes. It was an oak leaf from the dining room table!!(old line from a WC Fields movie)

I don't know if it's that or if there are just more rude people on cruises. There's something about being in the company of the same people for days confined on a ship. Maybe it makes the rude ones more noticeable? Anyway, I agree with OP that the types who are rude to staff and order them around like their personal servants are most irritating.

I find that it has nothing about being confined on a ship for days. Usually, the rude ones are very obvious in the check in lines!

Some people know how to act and just choose not to be civil, but it seems that a large number of people were never taught any manners and really do not know how they should behave in public.

Those who call the stewards and waiters "boy" and snap their fingers for attention really make me angry. They are quite often the ones who do not know which fork to use nor which bread plate is theirs.

Edited by DebJ14

Every long time cruiser (we have been at it for over forty years) has their share of "rude" tales. One of my favorites happened on a long HAL cruise where the median passenger age was probably about 75 (we are younger seniors). At breakfast I was waiting in a line (queue for you Brits) of about 6 people for the Eggs Benedict station. Just as I got to the front of the line an elderly (in her 80s) lady cut right in front of me. Before I could say a word she said, "I am old so it's OK." Without hesitation I pointed to the rear of the line and said "the old folks go back there." As I heard some gentle applause from the folks behind me the lady turned red...but did move to the end of the line. The cook, quietly taking all this in, said to me, "I like your style."

Hank

Right!! I have been campaigning for a "like" button for a long time here on CC!

Which they would add one!

Many years ago they did have a like button, but it lasted maybe for a week, if that. Wonder if anyone else remembers the brief like button experiment. My guess is it was around 2010.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before I could say a word she said, "I am old so it's OK."

You she likely had less time left on this earth/sea than the rest of the folks in line...:eek:

OK OK not a real good excuse but just wanted to illustrate a different point of view. :D

I have one that will blow you away. I sometimes carry a SMALL tote bag containing a needlepoint project, some yarns, a pair of scissors...and sometimes add a book or whatever I might want while on deck. There is nothing special about this bag; I think it was a cosmetic company freebie several years ago and I like it because the vinyl wipes off easily. One late morning I was in one of the deck lounge chairs with my bag tucked under the small "snack table" next to the chair, quite out of the way. Two elderly ladies came over and literally started taking stuff out of my bag and commenting on it. I looked over and asked if they had a problem with my bag. One replied, "No, we just thought it was so interesting."

The didn't steal anything...literally just went thru it, commented on my needlework and my book, ultimately put everything back and went on their way. I turned to the friend next to me and basically said "What the heck?" Her comment was that beyond a certain age, people think they can do anything they wish.