Technical Problems on Statendam

Steve Q

It is a beautiful day in Seward, the sun is shining. When I was up here in late June on the Oosterdam it rained all day long.

A diver was down before 8:00 AM assessing what needed to be done. A lot of people boarded busses this morning. It is a two and one half to three hour bus ride to Anchorage and choose not to make the trip. The ship is nice an quiet.

Hopefully I all repairs will be done today and we will be off to Homer.

With all the history of previous repairs, we still don't know what is wrong with the Statendam, we can only surmise. We need meat-not milk! Something of substance that will be definitive.

Holland America should have something on their website, if there is a cancellation they are going to lose a lot of money and those that are scheduled on the 10th will have the opportunity to work on plan B.

We are with the Statendam in Seward today. Clear blue skies, warm, a beautiful day. The crossing of the Gulf of Alaska was very smooth. Food is great on board - halibut on formal night was superb. The crew seem a happy bunch. We had free wine with dinner and a free drink at the bar as compensation and also we all received a generous on board credit. Entertainment is good. Hoping the rest of the cruise goes according to the itinerary.

We took the bus into Anchorage this morning. Weather is great and we are having a nice day

The crew has been great. They have gone out of their way for all of us.

We have eaten twice at Pinnacle Grill---better than we remember.

Oddly, the entertainment has been the best we can remember. Last night's show "Encore" was excellent. Visiting singer, Tricia Kelly, was also very good.

We hope we have good news when we return to the ship.

With all the history of previous repairs, we still don't know what is wrong with the Statendam, we can only surmise. We need meat-not milk! Something of substance that will be definitive.

Holland America should have something on their website, if there is a cancellation they are going to lose a lot of money and those that are scheduled on the 10th will have the opportunity to work on plan B.

I doubt there will be a cancellation. Diver has been down several times and now is down pn rear port side of ship.

Thank you ScottishMaid. I was hoping there might be a progress report, but I'd rather have the guys down there fixing what needs it rather than stopping for hourly progress reports.

Roy

The diver is under the ship as you speak.

Captain is just now announcing that divers did not detect any problems that would affect our planned tinerary. We will be continuing on to Homer where divers will again check that for any problems. Great day here in Seward.

Thanks for the update.

The Captain has advised us that the divers did not identify anything that would further impact our itinerary and so the Statendam will proceed to Homer tomorrow. While we are in Homer the divers will have another look at the problem as a precaution. The remainder of the itinerary will continue as scheduled.

Sent from my iPad

The Captain has advised us that the divers did not identify anything that would further impact our itinerary and so the Statendam will proceed to Homer tomorrow. While we are in Homer the divers will have another look at the problem as a precaution. The remainder of the itinerary will continue as scheduled.

Sent from my iPad

I think that an oil sheen was observed around the ship, and ADEC regulations prohibit a ship from sailing Alaskan waters generally, and entering the glacier fjords in particular, with an oil/water leak. The inspection apparently found no leakage from the ship. Commonly, oil sheens can be seen around ships that have had no influence on the oil. Pleasure boats and fishing vessels can discharge some petroleum product as part of the water cooled exhaust or cooling water, and this will "congregate" around ships, docks, and places. The ship, however, is mandated to report the sheen, regardless of whether the sheen was from the ship or not.

Another beautiful sunrise on the Statendam. We are still steaming toward Seward at 11.5 knots and seas are calm. Everyone received a generous OBC but the folks at the table next to us at dinner were quite upset. They were to have a reunion with folks they haven't seen in 40 years.

All things considered, we have had a wonderful trip and look forward to our first visit to Seward.

Leon

Thanks for the update.

I'd deal and adjust plans. Any OBC is a nice plus. There is never a guarantee that all scheduled ports will be made, so.....

Not the Statendam, but Norwegian Dawn is at dock in Bermuda tonight when she should be at sea. She sails to/from Boston, so weather in that area may be the issue. But, mechanical issues may also be involved. The web cam this afternoon showed a large, odd "bag" hanging over the side of the ship at the stern and a large crane was positioned nearby as well.

The point of my post: other ships have issues that result in itinerary changes. It is not just the Statendam or any other ship as well. Stuff happens!

Not the Statendam, but Norwegian Dawn is at dock in Bermuda tonight when she should be at sea. She sails to/from Boston, so weather in that area may be the issue. But, mechanical issues may also be involved. The web cam this afternoon showed a large, odd "bag" hanging over the side of the ship at the stern and a large crane was positioned nearby as well.

The point of my post: other ships have issues that result in itinerary changes. It is not just the Statendam or any other ship as well. Stuff happens!

Just read that the Viking Star was stranded in Tallinn for two days with engine trouble - electronic Viking Star Cruise Delayed Due to Engine Repairs.

I do know that the Viking ships are fairly new - less that 2 years old, so HAL isn't the only line having problems.

Just glad they may have the problem solved. We sail on the Statendam in 19 and a wake up.

Okie 1946

POSTED UNDER CRUISE CRITIC NEWS

Tweet

Viking Star

(1:30 p.m. EDT) -- Viking Star, which is currently stranded in Tallinn with engine trouble, will delay its August 8 cruise by two days, according to a company statement posted on the Cruise Critic message boards. Its July 25 cruise has already been canceled due to mechanical issues involving the electric transformers in one part of the ship's propulsion system.

The revised itinerary for the August 8 cruise has Viking Ocean Cruises putting up passengers in hotels in Bergen for the nights of August 8 and 9. Sunday will include a complimentary fjords tour, and on Monday, there will be a city tour of Bergen before an afternoon flight to Copenhagen, where the passengers will meet the ship. Viking Star will then spend two days at sea to reach Le Havre and resume its scheduled itinerary after one day in France. Passengers will miss out on an overnight in London and an overnight in Rouen (although passengers will be able to visit Paris from Le Havre instead).

Viking has reached out to all cruise travelers booked on the August 8 sailing and their travel agents with this information.

Viking Ocean Cruises is currently in the process of transferring all passengers on its July 25 sailing back home or to Bergen, the intended debarkation port, where the cruise line will host them in hotels and offer a land tour program. While the line could not accommodate all travelers who wished to continue to Bergen, it is flying more than 500 passengers on charter and commercial flights to Norway. In addition to onward flights, Viking is providing passengers on this sailing with a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare and a 50 percent credit toward a future cruise.

--by Erica Silverstein, Senior Editor

Edited by Okie1946