Member Reviews -- Why So Few?

phillygirl63

Why is it that people rarely post reviews of their cruises on Oceania? I am scheduled to sail on Marina in less than 3 weeks, and I have been checking the member reviews forum on a daily basis for reviews, which I have found to be very helpful on the other lines that I have been on. I not only looked for ones for Marina but for the other ships in the fleet as well.

In the last 2 months, Marina had only 2 reviews in June (none in July). Riviera had 2 reviews in July -- 1 very good and 1 unfavorable with only 2 stars. Nautica had only 1 review in June (5 stars). Regatta had 2 in June (both 4 stars). Insignia had only 2 reviews in June (2 stars and 3 stars) and before that only 1 in May (1 star) and 1 in March (5 stars).

On all of the other cruise lines that I have been on, I could read a new review just about every other day. Not here, and I just wonder why that is.

Some people are just not into doing reviews

Some will post their comments in the forum here but anything negative put on bunker gear

Many are repeat cruisers & find no need to post a review

I count 5 for June so not sure where you are seeing only 2

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=526

Riviera have several for June

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=607

Some of the reviews I truly wonder if the people did any research on the cruise line or the ship for that matter ;)

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Excellent point, Jim.

But I am one who will write a "trip report" for friends who are not here but have never written a proper CC review. I see many people sending reports of their cruises complete with photos ... several posted in the past few weeks.

Do you have any specific questions? I was on Marina in April/May and will be happy to comment if you wish. Even with the outbreak of Noro (although they never called it that, just an "intestinal virus") we had a great cruise.

Mura

P.S. I would be suspicious of any reviews that are too complimentary ("everything was perfect") or too critical ("everything was horrible"). Cruises are very rarely that black and white.

Edited by Mura

When did that happen, Lyn? It's rather late in the game for us!! (Having asked the question I will follow your link and probably find out the answer.)

We both had a mild onslaught but it didn't last more than 24 hours so I doubt what WE had was Noro. And everyone we knew was practically bathing in that hand disinfectant stuff ...

But maybe not everyone on board did.

It was mildly amusing (although the reason for it was not) to see crew wiping down a table before you'd really been able to leave it. (This was in Terrace ... I didn't see that in the "real" dining rooms.)

Mura

But maybe not everyone on board did.

It was mildly amusing (although the reason for it was not) to see crew wiping down a table before you'd really been able to leave it. (This was in Terrace ... I didn't see that in the "real" dining rooms.)

Mura

Looks like after the testing was done ...the page was updated June 1st

The day we left in N.S. the staff were discreetly trying to wipe down chair arma & backs as people left the seat

At the entrance to the Terrace one staff member was not letting ANYONE past until they used the sanitizer ..one older lady was refusing but he stood his ground & she finally complied

I read the report and was interested to see that the total number of people affected was NOT the 10% we were told. Now, I do not fault the ship for going into overdrive in an effort to make sure that more were not affected.

I didn't see any required use of using the sanitizers when we were in Terrace. I think that may have come into play on your (sadly abbreviated) cruise. But I do remember on NCL's GEM in April 2010 staff members were at the entrance to all restaurants saying "washee, washee". No one got into the restaurant (especially the buffet) without doing so ... even if you were just walking through the restaurant to get to the other side.

Mura

There are really no reviews that are pertinent.

Oceania is good for foodies. Everyone who loves to eat should go on Oceania.

As far is Noro is concerned. We have had it, but it was on another a very luxury line and Noro comes wherever...it comes on every cruise line. Everyone, just everyone should be careful..wash your hands, do not shake hands, be careful at the buffet. The cruise line can not stop you from getting this.

I was on Oceania just recently with another frequent poster and there had been Noro. For our cruise it was quiescent. The the next segment had it once again. These viruses live forever on hard surfaces.

Do not blame the cruise line. Watch what you do. Do not shake hands. Wash your hands. It is particularly virulent in an atmosphere where there is no sunlight, like a TA or something like that.

However much I can be critical of Oceania, it isn't for that. That is my unbiased opinion.

I was on Oceania just recently with another frequent poster and there had been Noro. For our cruise it was quiescent. The the next segment had it once again. These viruses live forever on hard surfaces.

Do not blame the cruise line. Watch what you do. Do not shake hands. Wash your hands. It is particularly virulent in an atmosphere where there is no sunlight, like a TA or something like that.

However much I can be critical of Oceania, it isn't for that. That is my unbiased opinion.

Caroldoll,

I find what you say about no sunlight since this outbreak started on our Lima-NYC cruise where we had PLENTY of sunlight! And I've never had the problem on a TA. I remember being told that Noro is more prevalent in warm weather than cool ... but the Noro did continue on several subsequent cruises, which were definitely in cooler weather than we had.

You never know, I guess. For all of our cruising, this was the first time we encountered Noro ... and no, I don't blame Oceania either. (I was unhappy that they wouldn't cook my food to my liking but I understood their rationale.)

Mura

and in that case it was from unsanitary conditions on shore. Then they got it under control for the cruise before ours. When we picked it up in New York it was quiescent until after the ship left Montreal. At that time there were some sea days and everything was "locked up" and I guess it had a chance to get breeding again! LOL. Not too funny, but it lives for an indeterminate amount of times on hard surfaces. It would not have taken but a small area for someone to touch it and spread it again! I know what you mean..I like my meat rare too, and the first night it wasn't going to happen, but on the second night I guess they let up on the restrictions. It is not the fault of the ship, and I guess you can't pinpoint whose fault it was, but it is something that happens.

My DH and I took a Christmas cruise on a very luxury line, and I caught it the second day! Interestingly enough, our server disappeared never to be seen again! Then on the fourth day my DH caught it from me. OMG, Christmas was not too good!

The ship never reported it to anyone, but a substantial amount of the passengers were down with this "gastrointestinal thing". Not good.

Can anyone explain why the CDC reports don't show all the outbreaks? There is just one for Oceania but there was something going around on our Asian trip in March 2014 (Nautica). They were confining couples to their rooms. But there is no mention of this outbreak. Not noro after all?

Sorry about hijacking the thread. As for me, I don't usually write reviews for CC - at least not the usual sort. I think I was going to do so after one trip, and there was something odd about required rating. I do answer specific questions though! And share with friends and family.

Edited by Tansy Mews

In some ways, the lack of reviews parallels the level of activity on the forum. I'm new to Oceania, and people here have been great about answering questions when I post something, but returning to the forum every few days, I see far fewer new posts here than say on Celebrity. Could well tie back to whether a cruise line is mass-market or not.

Personally, I don't do reviews on CC. For me it's mostly a time issue. I write a blog, and I do post a link on the appropriate forum for anyone to link back to it if they are interested.

Can anyone explain why the CDC reports don't show all the outbreaks? There is just one for Oceania but there was something going around on our Asian trip in March 2014 (Nautica). They were confining couples to their rooms. But there is no mention of this outbreak. Not noro after all?

Sorry about hijacking the thread. As for me, I don't usually write reviews for CC - at least not the usual sort. I think I was going to do so after one trip, and there was something odd about required rating. I do answer specific questions though! And share with friends and family.

I am not sure why but maybe they only deal with ships that come to the USA

We had a problem on the Marina out of Montreal but it is not listed either

In some ways, the lack of reviews parallels the level of activity on the forum. I'm new to Oceania, and people here have been great about answering questions when I post something, but returning to the forum every few days, I see far fewer new posts here than say on Celebrity. Could well tie back to whether a cruise line is mass-market or not.

Personally, I don't do reviews on CC. For me it's mostly a time issue. I write a blog, and I do post a link on the appropriate forum for anyone to link back to it if they are interested.

Fewer, smaller ships and less passengers, many of whom are repeat O cruisers. Also, for example, hard to write about the "rock climbing wall" or "ice show" on O ships OR debate the merits of walkie talkies, rum runners or lanyards and crocs.

I usually do my review right here in the Forum. That way I don't have to sit down and write a lengthly review in one go. Now that I have been a repeat passenger several times but not as many as others:D, I tend to write about the ports of call rather than the ship itself.

Keeping to the original question. There have been some good points about ship size etc. Another thing to consider is that the majority of Oceania's customers are of the generation that don't feel the need to document every movement of their life on social media, unlike many of the younger generation. There are of course exceptions.

Funny you should ask ... I'm about to buy a new one!

There are still some things my printer won't do that a typewriter does easily ...

The typewriter, though, costs as much as a color laser printer and gets less use ...

Mura

Fewer, smaller ships and less passengers, many of whom are repeat O cruisers. Also, for example, hard to write about the "rock climbing wall" or "ice show" on O ships OR debate the merits of walkie talkies, rum runners or lanyards and crocs.
You forgot to mention that its difficult to write about formal attire, which accounts for at least 5000 threads in each of the other cruise line forums.

That's actually how I originally discovered Oceania. I was on a HAL cruise back in 2010 and priro to the cruise I was reading their virulent threads on formal attire and decided to check out some of the other CC cruise line forums to see if things were as bad on the other cruise lines. I went to numerous forums, searched for "formal" and up would come 500 results (the max). I finally stumbled onto the Oceania forum and when I did the search up came 6 results which immediately raised my eye brows, all of which summed it up with "No formal attire". I was sold.

FWIW, I rarely read reviews and rely on searching the forum for answers. Now I must admit, as a result of this thread, I did go read some of the reviews. Quite interesting, especially the one-hit-wonders from a disgruntled cruiser.Seems like there must have been something else going on there. JMHO

FWIW, I rarely read reviews and rely on searching the forum for answers. Now I must admit, as a result of this thread, I did go read some of the reviews. Quite interesting, especially the one-hit-wonders from a disgruntled cruiser.Seems like there must have been something else going on there. JMHO

This was my thought when I started this thread. My impression is that frequent O cruisers are very passionate about this cruise line. However, after reading the reviews for the ships, it struck me as a little odd that those impassioned cruisers would not want to post their reviews in order to sort of "set the record straight." Instead, those "one-hit-wonders" get the last word.

I have never had a bad cruise on any of the lines I have been on, simply because I believe you make it what you want it to be. That could be said of any vacation destination really. However, I always felt that a good review with honest opinions was worth reading and taking into consideration when choosing a cruise line. I found it best to read at least the last 10 reviews and make my own determination after that.

When I was planning my cruise on NCL Pride of America in Hawaii, there were many good reviews, but there were also some so-so ones. But one bad review in particular stuck in mind. It was written by a woman who, as I recall, was cruising with her sister. They never left the ship and they only ate in the buffet. Her review was absolutely miserable, and I came away thinking "But you were in Hawaii and you never left the ship? How crazy is that?"

I don't read reviews to learn about formal nights, smoking policies, etc. I can get that information on the other boards. Like you said, 500 or so come up when you do a search. I read reviews for the same reason I read restaurant and hotel reviews on TripAdvisor … so that I can feel confident that I have picked the cruise that best suits my party. I think many people rely on the reviews posted here on CC for the same reason.

Therefore, I will be posting my review of my Windmills & Wonders cruise as soon as I get home on September 2.