Alaska in Sept

2Yanks

Anyone been on an Alaskan cruise in early Sept? wondered if attire and weather a much different than the posts I have read for July and Aug?

Tips?

Weather changes in an instant in Alaska.

"Layers" always applies there.

Lots of rain in Sept on our cruises with occasional snow.

We had snow in Skagway, lol. I would bring boots, gloves, hat, scarf, coat and an umbrella. We had some sunny weather in the other ports, but it was still only about 60 degrees. The funniest thing was a lady that was wearing her socks on her hands because she didn't bring gloves with her.:D

Sweaters, coats, gloves and rain gear for sure. You never know that time of year. We were there the second week of Sept a couple years ago and it was cold but beautiful...

Brownie9

Edited by brownie9

Not too cold not too hot.... salmon run ending. lots critter out not many bugs as in summer Normal layering but no heavystuff steer away from anything cotton.... cotton absorbs moisture and does not insulate at all.... and go toward poly-pro and polyester

A good parka shell or anorak will cover all the bases over a lite sweater over a good poly-pro base layer and a hat... because 90% pof heat loss is from your head a good pair of ankle high hiking shoes and gloves if your going to spend hours in the weather.

But a wide brim hat/knit and a wind /rain shell parka is all you will need... weather is mild until north of Anchorage Ketchican, Sitka, Juneau Skagwa are all in the the temperate rain forest lite rain and fog and historicaly, the most sun and least rain...

It is when I go.....

As someone who has lived in Alaska for 40 years, I can say positively that on Sept. 1, fall begins. It can be 70+ degrees the week before-the day before, but on Sept. 1, fall begins.

It will be cooler. Maybe dry maybe rainy. It will be beautiful, but it will be fall.

We were on the Golden Princess for the last cruise of the season in 2012. As previous posters have stated; layers are the best rule of thumb. We had gorgeous weather, even as we sailed away from Ketchikan; the decks were crowded and so were the pools and hot tubs- a beautiful sunny 75 degrees. The coldest day was Hubbard Glacier.

Not too cold not too hot.... salmon run ending. lots critter out not many bugs as in summer Normal layering but no heavystuff steer away from anything cotton.... cotton absorbs moisture and does not insulate at all.... and go toward poly-pro and polyester

A good parka shell or anorak will cover all the bases over a lite sweater over a good poly-pro base layer and a hat... because 90% pof heat loss is from your head a good pair of ankle high hiking shoes and gloves if your going to spend hours in the weather.

But a wide brim hat/knit and a wind /rain shell parka is all you will need... weather is mild until north of Anchorage Ketchican, Sitka, Juneau Skagwa are all in the the temperate rain forest lite rain and fog and historicaly, the most sun and least rain...

It is when I go.....

This claim is not the norm. And pretty much, nothing I have experienced with multiple trips in Sept, including 2 weeks last year.

We have cruised twice to Alaska from Seattle. Both were the 2nd week of Sep. We had absolutely beautiful weather for both. Sunshine all the way.

But we did indeed heed the advice of others who have experienced cooler, rainy weather. We brought layers, light jackets, gloves & umbrellas. We were fortunate to not have to use any of it, but had we needed it we would have been so glad to be prepared.

We have cruised twice to Alaska from Seattle. Both were the 2nd week of Sep. We had absolutely beautiful weather for both. Sunshine all the way.

But we did indeed heed the advice of others who have experienced cooler, rainy weather. We brought layers, light jackets, gloves & umbrellas. We were fortunate to not have to use any of it, but had we needed it we would have been so glad to be prepared.

I use jackets, hats and gloves on every one of my trips, no matter when I go during the cruise season.

Since you state you didn't "use" them, I will also assume you were not out during sailing for any length of time.

I use jackets, hats and gloves on every one of my trips, no matter when I go during the cruise season.

Since you state you didn't "use" them, I will also assume you were not out during sailing for any length of time.

Actually we were out a lot, but as it was unseasonably warm we really did not need them other than the day we went to Tracy Arm.

We were on an Alaskan cruise the first week of September in 2014 and like Foghorn we found it pretty darn cold with wind and rain. Luckily as I always hate being cold (despite living in Southwestern PA) I had packed lots of warm clothing, mittens and rain-gear. After the cruise, we spent an additional week on our own in the state. There was some snow still on the ground in Denali Park from the previous week and it was frigid watching the park's outdoor dogsled exhibit. Plus it rained torrents in Seward. My advice? Come prepared for rain and cold. If you don't need it, be glad! PS..despite the low temps, we loved Alaska. "There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing or a bad attitude".

• 2 weeks later...

So basically..Sept in Alaska is like October in the Pacific Northwest.

My friend and I will sail on Norwegian Sun in Alaska second week in September and I am sincerely grateful for all the info on this topic....

Although we are geared for cold and rainy weather, I will make sure we have all that was mentioned in all these answers...

We are from sunny South Africa and not really accustomed to very cold and wet weather...

Sincere thanks from a VERY excited,

Jasjas.

Hi guys, have always gone to Alaska from Vencouver in Sept, and it has rained everytime. This time will be leavin out of Seattle, and had thought about the day of sailin, would run over to Pikes Market, but forgot a few things, traffic leavin the airport, construction goin on, where the ship will be docked and how far Pikes Market is, and forgot the most important thing, "Rain.":) As of the moment, my name is "Will have to wait." See about things when I get there.

My friend and I will sail on Norwegian Sun in Alaska second week in September and I am sincerely grateful for all the info on this topic....

Although we are geared for cold and rainy weather, I will make sure we have all that was mentioned in all these answers...

We are from sunny South Africa and not really accustomed to very cold and wet weather...

Sincere thanks from a VERY excited,

Jasjas.

Jasjas,

You sound so excited about your Alaskan cruise. The beauty of Alaska & the coast of British Columbia can't be appreciated....until you see it in person. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hi guys, have always gone to Alaska from Vencouver in Sept, and it has rained everytime. This time will be leavin out of Seattle, and had thought about the day of sailin, would run over to Pikes Market, but forgot a few things, traffic leavin the airport, construction goin on, where the ship will be docked and how far Pikes Market is, and forgot the most important thing, "Rain.":) As of the moment, my name is "Will have to wait." See about things when I get there.

Are you sailing NCL? You can easily walk to Pike Market. I also take the light rail to the ship when sailing out of Pier 66.

As someone who has lived in Alaska for 40 years, I can say positively that on Sept. 1, fall begins. It can be 70+ degrees the week before-the day before, but on Sept. 1, fall begins.

It will be cooler. Maybe dry maybe rainy. It will be beautiful, but it will be fall.

Hi, since you live there, please comment on what the hours are for daylight in early September. We are sailing from Seeattle on 9/6/2015..will be at Ketchikan on 9/8/15 from 6:30am - 3:00pm; Juneau on 9/9 from 12:30pm to 10:00pm; Skagway on 9/10 from 7:00am - 5:00pm.... I spoke to a lady yesterday afternoon in Juneau, she said it was 57 and rainy. She said it had been a very rainy summer.