TA - online or brick and mortar

skedaddle43

Everyone keeps talking about using a TA who specializes in cruises. Are y'all talking about an online or brick and mortar? Any advice - without naming names - on finding a good one? What questions should you ask? I've always just used the cruise line's agents. What is the advantage of using an outside agent?

I've used two different ones, both online. For the NCL one I used one associated with airline miles and the Princess one I used a well known online one. There is a brick and mortar one near me, but their hours don't suit me, hence going with online. So far both have been responsive to my questions and need for assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is brick and mortar but is in another state so we do everything via email or phone and I almost always get a response within an hour of my email ( 7 days a week).

For me it is about customer service. I know my agent is there when I need her - like those rare times when something unanticipated happens ( like last minute flight changes by airlines).

I use an agent!

I don't want to use a website where you just book a cruise and don't have someone working for you. I also don't use local brick and mortar places because simply they don't discount and they don't have extensive cruise experience.

The agent I use lives across the country and happens to work from their home. They are one of the top Princess agents in the country and one of the top AMEX agents in the country and world. She is associated with a top cruise agency and AMEX.

Benefits from working from home (low overhead, cheaper prices for me), she answers her phone (and email) what seems like 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and has even answered them on holidays.

What I like about her - is that she knows her cruises and I am working with an expert who is a real person. If something goes wrong, I am dealing with a real person who I have established a relationship with and has contacts with the cruise line to resolve them.

Is this online, I would say no. Is this a brick and mortar agency, I would also say no. I say I use an agent who lives across the country.

Edited by Coral

I have booked directly with Princess, through a brick and mortar TA, and with an online TA. (The online TA can actually be visited by appointment but does pretty much everything via her web site.)

My next cruise was booked via the online TA due to some specific perks (transportation from Sacramento to SF which saves me 17 days of parking in SF was the biggie). I originally booked the cruise myself but then transferred it to the TA.

I have an Alaska cruisetour booked for next June. I booked it myself with Princess but will almost certainly transfer it to the local brick and mortar TA later on. My wife recently referred a large booking to him (10 people to Alaska) and he will most likely kick down some OBC, dining, or other perk as a thank you.

I use an online TA and communicate with her via phone and the internet. Found her thru a site that sends you quote request to a bunch of TAs who compete for you business. She gives us about 15% off the current Princess fare and usually adds some OBC

What questions should you ask? I've always just used the cruise line's agents. What is the advantage of using an outside agent?

Some questions to ask:

o Do you have any fees for making the booking, making changes or cancelling the booking? If the TA charges its own fees for any of these, look for another TA.

o Do you offer discounts from the posted Princess fares or offer on board amenities in addition to any Princess offers?

o What is your availability in an emergency outside of your normal office hours?

o If my assigned agent is not available (illness, vacation, etc.) will I be able to contact another agent to help?

Advantage of an outside agent:

o Your advocate with Princess if a problem develops.

o Many (definitely not all) will offer better pricing or additional amenities.

o A good TA has more actual experience on cruise ships than the typical cruise line rep.

Disadvantage of an outside agent:

o Princess will no longer speak to you about any pricing question about your booking.