Can't decide which cruise line to choose

SubbyWife

Hello all! My husband and I are wanting to go on our first cruise around April 2016. We've pretty much narrowed it down to Princess, Celebrity, or Royal Caribbean. We're having a hard time choosing which would be best.

We do know we will need to leave out of a Florida port because that's what is closest to us. We're in our late 20s and we'd like a cruise line that's fun, but romantic. We like to keep to ourselves and aren't into partying (why we're avoiding Carnival). We're also probably going to just go with an interior room this time.

I was leaning more toward an eastern Caribbean itinerary, but I'm open to anything. Can anyone give me insight into what cruise line would be great for first time cruisers?

I don't have much experience yet, but I also like to keep to myself and am not a partier. As such, I'm really looking forward to my Celebrity cruise in December. However, I also had quite a few people on my recent NCL cruise recommend Princess. I think RCCL is more of a suburb/family line at this point. But others with more experience will certainly be along soon.

Don't be so quick in eliminating Carnival if you don't like partying .

All cruise lines mentioned attract the party people on their shorter cruises.

It's just that Carnival has more ships doing those short 3,4,5 nighters .

Best bang for the buck IMO , Carnival , especially the Early Saver Rate which

gets you those close in deal price adjustments that none of the others do.

Stick with 7 days or longer , away from school vacations for a good couples

experience.

There all good lines and I have cruised them all, but RCCL is my favorite, love the entertainment , ice show is great ( all the ships built in last 10 years have ice rink) on RCCL. Celeberity is almost entirely non smoking and really has some nice ships and great specialty restaurants. I also agree on doing the 7 day cruise and avoid summer and holidays if you do not want a ton of children on board.

Any cruise that is 7 days or longer will not be a party cruise, including carnival.

All cruise lines are more alike than different.

Choose an itinerary from the port that you prefer, and check out the amenities of the ship you are interested in.

Princess and Celebrity tends to attract a more mature crowd, RCI And Carnival a more family crowd. April should be fine as kids are generally still in school.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Hello all! My husband and I are wanting to go on our first cruise around April 2016. We've pretty much narrowed it down to Princess, Celebrity, or Royal Caribbean. We're having a hard time choosing which would be best.

We do know we will need to leave out of a Florida port because that's what is closest to us. We're in our late 20s and we'd like a cruise line that's fun, but romantic. We like to keep to ourselves and aren't into partying (why we're avoiding Carnival). We're also probably going to just go with an interior room this time.

I was leaning more toward an eastern Caribbean itinerary, but I'm open to anything. Can anyone give me insight into what cruise line would be great for first time cruisers?

Hi Fellow South Carolinian! Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

Princess should be a very good fit for you! :)

LuLu

Royal Caribbean: OASIS OR ALLURE........Best ships in the world as far as I am concerned. You will NEVER be bored. Insane:):):)

But they didn't mention being worried about being bored--they said they weren't partiers and preferred to keep to themselves. That to me sounds like they don't need a ton a shipboard activities and would prefer a quieter atmosphere.

But they didn't mention being worried about being bored--they said they weren't partiers and preferred to keep to themselves. That to me sounds like they don't need a ton a shipboard activities and would prefer a quieter atmosphere.

Exactly! That's why Princess would be a good fit for them because there would be enough without being too much. :)

Royal Caribbean: OASIS OR ALLURE........Best ships in the world as far as I am concerned. You will NEVER be bored. Insane:):):)

I am sure these ships are great but you will be able to find a cheaper cruise if you pick some slightly older ships that still have most of the same features. Price several ships on all the lines you are interested in and also read the reviews.

Thank you all for your responses! No, I'm not too worried about being bored. But having good entertainment is a plus. My husband won't enjoy just hanging by the pool or getting some sun (although I find that totally relaxing, lol).

I did mention what y'all said about not discounting carnival to him and he completely turned his nose up at it. :\ We know a bunch of people who have taken Carnival cruises out of Charleston (where we live) and most of them have told him negative things. So he just refuses to even consider. Despite the fact that I've explained they have newer, bigger ships out of FL. Oh well. I think we have good choices in RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity.

If I had to choose between an Interior on Princess/Celebrity or a balcony on RCCL, which would you choose?

I did mention what y'all said about not discounting carnival to him and he completely turned his nose up at it. :\ We know a bunch of people who have taken Carnival cruises out of Charleston (where we live) and most of them have told him negative things. So he just refuses to even consider. Despite the fact that I've explained they have newer, bigger ships out of FL. Oh well. I think we have good choices in RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity.

If I had to choose between an Interior on Princess/Celebrity or a balcony on RCCL, which would you choose?

Too bad he has that impression of Carnival. The old Fantasy class ships out of Charleston is the oldest and smallest ships they have. Can't compare those with the newer ships. Totally different. By the way, Carnival has bigger cabins, including insides, than any of the other cruiselines.

Given a choice, go for the balcony, much more space, and some fresh air.

Edited by t_car

So narrowing it down to these, I would certainly recommend the balcony on Royal Caribbean. Princess standard staterooms are tiny and don't have a sitting area. Royal Caribbean staterooms have a couch and are much more roomy than on Princess. Plus, having a balcony really adds to the cruise experience.

If you are planning to drive, you might consider a 7 Day on RCCL Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral for your April 2016 cruise.

Port Canaveral is about a 6 hour drive from Columbia (where we live) ... probably a bit closer for you. :)

LuLu

Thank you all for your responses! No, I'm not too worried about being bored. But having good entertainment is a plus. My husband won't enjoy just hanging by the pool or getting some sun (although I find that totally relaxing, lol).

hmm you wouldn't perchance be married to a Nuke would you?! heheheh

for romance, NOTHING beats a glass of bubbly on your own private balcony at sunset. if you stretch the budget to include a Junior Suite or better there is even room to have room service out there. ( only Grand suites and up may order off the MDR menu, although the 'regular' room service menu is perfectly adequate)

I have sailed Carnival, Disney, Royal and Celebrity. Hands down, Royal is our favorite. I am seriously considering Princes for our Alaska trip, but that is a year or two down the line after he retires and has to get a real( civilian) job.

By the way, Carnival has bigger cabins, including insides, than any of the other cruiselines.

actually that honor belongs to Disney. however for the price of a Navigator's Balcony on Magic, I can sail in a Grand Suite on Royal, which is even larger and comes with some nice perks.

Ah, Charleston is also my closest cruise port, and every few months I check and am sad to see it's still just Carnival Fantasy (as another poster said, a very old ship). I also like to keep to myself and am wary of booze cruise type trips, but I've heard very good things about Carnival's NEWEST ships, and if we ever got one in the carolinas I would definitely consider it.

hmm you wouldn't perchance be married to a Nuke would you?! heheheh

for romance, NOTHING beats a glass of bubbly on your own private balcony at sunset. if you stretch the budget to include a Junior Suite or better there is even room to have room service out there. ( only Grand suites and up may order off the MDR menu, although the 'regular' room service menu is perfectly adequate)

I have sailed Carnival, Disney, Royal and Celebrity. Hands down, Royal is our favorite. I am seriously considering Princes for our Alaska trip, but that is a year or two down the line after he retires and has to get a real( civilian) job.

You guessed it! Lol! Retirement in a couple years? I wish we were already at that point. Hubby is at his 10 year point with 2 left on his contract. Trying to decide to stay in or not. I vote not, lol, but it's his choice.

Thank you all for helping me! I really need to get my husband to read through this. Unfortunately, he's taking 1 guy at works opinion of an old NCL cruise he took years ago, over everything I've told him. Smh.

I wish Carnival would put better ships in Charleston, it would be such an amazing port. Lots to see and do here before or after a cruise. But I've heard that the water isn't deep enough for the bigger boats. Whether that's true or not, Idk.

I think we will probably end up going with RCCL. They seem like a good line to start with. Plus we will be able to have more money to devote to shore excursions or souvenirs, etc.

You guessed it! Lol! Retirement in a couple years? I wish we were already at that point. Hubby is at his 10 year point with 2 left on his contract. Trying to decide to stay in or not. I vote not, lol, but it's his choice.

he gets home from this deployment soon( under 60 days!) then almost intermediately goes on Terminal leave. but due to his Designator he cannot job search until his resume has been approved and he can't get it approved until he gets back.

at the 12 year mark, as a Nuke, it woudl be el stupido to bail before retirement. E6 or a Chief? make khaki and it's really a no brainer.

I think we will probably end up going with RCCL. They seem like a good line to start with. Plus we will be able to have more money to devote to shore excursions or souvenirs, etc.

Baltimore is within driving distance too. while Grandeur is a smaller and older ship, she has serious charm.

also, cruise ships are not dry, they have real beds, not racks, the food is better( he can skip the bug juice if he wants) and no watch standing required. also.. he will have access to much fresh air and sunshine. and hot tubs.