Alaska - Tripod, Monopod, or no pod?

GreySkies

I'm going to Alaska in a few weeks. I will be doing two photography excursions. I'm quite a novice, but hope to get lucky photos.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi (?) with two lenses. The first lens is the standard one it comes with. The second is a 70mm zoom, I think. I've noticed that I have a hard time keeping the longer lens steady. Are there tips for keeping it steady or is the only solution a tripod or monopod? If it's the latter, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

To clarify, what excursions have you signed up for? If it's a whale watch.... tripods and monopods are useless on a rocking boat.

If you have a big lense and holding it up for many minutes waiting for breeching whales or eagles etc... really nice to have a monopod. Has less to do with stabilization but weight relief.

If you are bringing big long lenses, monopods are really nice!

I take a monopod to every excursion as a tripod opens too wide and is subject to kicking by fellow passengers trying to take their pictures. I do take a tripod if their is the chance of a great night shot while in port.

We head to the Ruby Princess in an hour. One of our bags contains two tripods (one gimbal head, one ball head) and two monopods. The monopods are going on every excursion, including small boats. The tripods are probably going along (in a rolling bag) for our two private excursions, as we'll be in a private vehicle where we can leave extra gear. The tripod also comes in handy for whale watching from the ship, and glacier viewing (though better if you have a remote trigger of some form).

Good topic.

What do you guys think about using a tripod on my balcony with the slight movement of the ship? I'll be using lenses with image stabilization.

Will I get acceptable images:

When the ship is traveling?

When the ship is in port?

And would I ever be able to use a long exposure?

Thanks!

I'm going to Alaska in a few weeks. I will be doing two photography excursions. I'm quite a novice, but hope to get lucky photos.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi (?) with two lenses. The first lens is the standard one it comes with. The second is a 70mm zoom, I think. I've noticed that I have a hard time keeping the longer lens steady. Are there tips for keeping it steady or is the only solution a tripod or monopod? If it's the latter, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Two other suggestions - a chain pod or a bean bag,

DON

assuming these excursions are in the daytime....turn on the image stabilization. You should be able to use 1/100 or faster and get decent shots with no problem. or just bump up the shutter speed to freeze the action. no need to drag a mono or tri pod.

Good topic.

What do you guys think about using a tripod on my balcony with the slight movement of the ship? I'll be using lenses with image stabilization.

Will I get acceptable images:

When the ship is traveling?

When the ship is in port?

And would I ever be able to use a long exposure?

I'd bet that a long exposure will turn up yucky, tripod or not. However, an ISO 100 f/11 shot during any reasonable time will probably be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a fantastic time on my recent cruise. I just wanted to report that I used a tripod provided on one of the excursions. On the other excursion, the ISO was set to allow for a fast enough speed that the tripod and monopod weren't necessary.

Had a fantastic time on my recent cruise. I just wanted to report that I used a tripod provided on one of the excursions. On the other excursion, the ISO was set to allow for a fast enough speed that the tripod and monopod weren't necessary.

Sounds like you had a great time! Any pics to share? :)

• 2 weeks later...

My personal preferences... I use a 5D Mark III with a 16-35 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 IS for 90% of what I shoot now. On cruises I do not bring any kind of pod. I just don't like being slowed down, weighted down with a pod. For night shots I can usually find a railing to lean on for a bit more support. For Alaska I will bring my TC 1.4 Mark III and MAYBE, if DW lets me my 300 2.8 but still no pod for that one. I can hand hold it down to a 1/250th with the IS on.

• 2 months later...

FWIW, if you're on a cruise to Alaska and have a balcony cabin, bring the tripod.

It can get COLD there, especially if you go to Glacier Bay. Having a balcony and a tripod was AWESOME! I set my camera up on the tripod on the balcony. Didn't have to fight the crowds up on the public decks. Then, I'd run out, take pics, and then run back into the room to warm up. I would have been miserable if I had to stay out there the whole time.

• 3 weeks later...

For my cruise photography and videography, I love Joby's Gorillapod. It's small enough to hang from my sling bag, and wraps around things...so the entire ship is your tripod. I've wrapped it around deck rails to shoot timelapses during sailaway, Hung them from trees for a group shot, and even roll bars on a jeep. Also, for video, you can bend the arms into handles and point one arm at your chest and you have an on-the-fly stabilization rig.

http://joby.com/gorillapod

For SLR shooters, go with the all metal "Focus". It's heavy, but built like a tank, and it'll never break. I have broken the lesser priced versions.

FWIW, if you're on a cruise to Alaska and have a balcony cabin, bring the tripod.

It can get COLD there, especially if you go to Glacier Bay. Having a balcony and a tripod was AWESOME! I set my camera up on the tripod on the balcony. Didn't have to fight the crowds up on the public decks. Then, I'd run out, take pics, and then run back into the room to warm up. I would have been miserable if I had to stay out there the whole time.

But if you are not on the public deck, you only get a 180 degree view of the world. What if something great is happening on the other side of the ship. You miss it.

DON

That sure takes a lot of the fun out of going to Alaska.