Helicopter rescue on Grandeur

Hopefully they are okay!

Does anyone know the safety protocols during a medical evacuation from the ship? I assume that the Helipad deck is cleared, but are all decks clears or can you watch the landing from a higher deck?

Hopefully they are okay!

Does anyone know the safety protocols during a medical evacuation from the ship? I assume that the Helipad deck is cleared, but are all decks clears or can you watch the landing from a higher deck?

There is no helipad on the Grandeur. They usually use the track deck for helicopter rescues. At least that is what they did on the sister ship, Enchantment, when we were on it and there was a helicopter rescue at sea.

Gwen :)

Hopefully they are okay!

When I was on Voyager in 06, they airlifted an ice skater off the helipad. We were on the area above the bridge watching.

There is no helipad on the Grandeur. They usually use the track deck for helicopter rescues. At least that is what they did on the sister ship, Enchantment, when we were on it and there was a helicopter rescue at sea.

And that's exactly what the article says they did in this case:

Once Trooper 7 arrived over the ship, they communicated with the crew of The Grandeur of the Sea who advised they were preparing the upper deck starboard side to use as the hoisting area. The crew from Trooper 7 prepared for a challenging hoist using the advanced technology aboard the AW-139 aircraft. While working with the crew of The Grandeur of the Sea the flight crew began the process of hoisting the patient from the ship. Once the patient was secured in the aircraft the flight crew provided advanced medical care and flew an adult male patient to Peninsula Regional Medical Center.

Hopefully they are okay!

We were on Explorer with helo evac at sea at night.

All decks were closed.

I did have the opportunity to speak with the captain, and he told me it is his decision, and he deemed it a dangerous operation and wanted no one anywhere near it or on anyone on an outside deck.

When I was on Enchantment (between Bermuda and Boston) they used the pool deck. I all the outer decks were closed and I watched from the Viking Crown Lounge.

basket1.jpg

The patient was wheeled out from near the Windjammer:

patient.jpg

Firefighters had several lines stretched and charged:

aftermath.jpg

Roy

"Once the patient was secured in the aircraft the flight crew provided advanced medical care and flew an adult male patient to Peninsula Regional Medical Center."

Peninsula Regional is in Salisbury MD. We here in Maryland are very proud of our State Police air squadron. One group is stationed very near us at Andrews AFB. Trooper 7 is very much closer to the bay. Good work 7!

More here:

http://www.the-chesapeake.com/2015/08/08/maryland-state-police-helicopter-crew-hoists-heart-patient-from-grandeur-of-the-seas-in-chesapeake-bay/

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

When I was on Enchantment (between Bermuda and Boston) they used the pool deck. I all the outer decks were closed and I watched from the Viking Crown Lounge.

basket1.jpg

The patient was wheeled out from near the Windjammer:

patient.jpg

Firefighters had several lines stretched and charged:

aftermath.jpg

Roy

I was on the same cruise. I remember you from that cruise too. Several years ago. We were watching it from right outside the theater, looking out the doors. Couldn't go out, but was able to see some of it. Good photos.

We were underway on the USS Reagan somewhere off the coast of California back in 2007/8 time frame and there was a girl on a Princess ship that needed to be medevaced due to an appendix about to burst. We were nearest hospital for over a 1000 miles (they were somewhere out in the Pacific). The backend Aircrew were saying they had to use the pool deck and it was a bit sketchy being lowered onto it as our guys normally only do the open water rescues, the ship/boat ones are typically done by the Coast Guard.

It's crazy the logistics side of things that goes into one of these types of rescues.

Crazy thing was my aunt was on that same Princess cruise and didn't even realize it was one of my unit's helos picking the girl up lol

We were underway on the USS Reagan somewhere off the coast of California back in 2007/8 time frame and there was a girl on a Princess ship that needed to be medevaced due to an appendix about to burst. We were nearest hospital for over a 1000 miles (they were somewhere out in the Pacific). The backend Aircrew were saying they had to use the pool deck and it was a bit sketchy being lowered onto it as our guys normally only do the open water rescues, the ship/boat ones are typically done by the Coast Guard.

It's crazy the logistics side of things that goes into one of these types of rescues.

Crazy thing was my aunt was on that same Princess cruise and didn't even realize it was one of my unit's helos picking the girl up lol

Hated riding the hoist when I was USAF flight medic.

Really? I can't say I consider it classless. You can't even see the individual in this case.

I guess you find every news article classless or Americas Funniest Home Videos classless as well? Stop perpetuating the fad of being offended.

Hopefully they are okay!

The procedure can be modified by the captain but generally speaking they will clear all decks where possible. As mentioned in this particular instance the ship did not have a helipad. However, on ships with a helipad (by the way, the helipad is virtually never actually landed on) all forward decks are cleared, including all forward staterooms with windows facing the helipad area. There are several retractable obstacles on the helipad deck such as railings, lights, and antennas. All of these items are usually retracted out of the way (generally they fold flat onto the deck), and any benches on the helipad removed. You MIGHT be able to watch from the highest deck but generally that would only be if they forgot to send a security guard there to clear it.

Hope that answers your question sufficiently. :)

This one was a MD State Police helicopter, an Agusta/Westland AW-139. Range of 675 nautical miles and cruising speed of 165 knots. Coast Guard probably has similar aircraft.

R&D

Edited by Pumbaamd

Here's hoping that the patient is recovering well in Salisbury and soon will be on the way home.

Rick and Deirdra

Certainly so. What an awful thing to happen, especially during vacation.

Edited by Philly Steve