Suggestions on "Post Cruise sightseeing of NY city?"

bpphoto

Hi All,

I was looking at possibly doing one day post cruise sightseeing of New York prior to returning back home. I am disembarking from the Anthem of the Seas on July 9th 2016. (Cape Liberty) Can I get some suggestions as to a game plan on how to handle this? ie: what to see, where to stay via the one night, and what airport I should leave out of? (I have not booked my return flight yet. Possibly EWR?) Also, suggestions for transportation involved in all this too??? :confused::confused::confused:

Thank you in advance! :D

You can not see NYC in a day or even a week, we always stay midtown Manhattan, since we like to see plays and like the bars and restaurants in the area . I think World Trade center in lower Manhattan is a must, if you add museum add 90 more mins ( get tickets online before ) , in same area you can do the ferry to Statue of Liberty. Good thing is you leave the ship on a Saturday and there is much less traffic in NYC and much easier getting around by taxi etc. Might want to see a play, on Saturday and Sunday there is a afternoon showing of almost every play and also one on Saturday night, you can get 1/2 price tickets for these shows.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

Chinatown and little Italy are also fun. Pizza is a must?

If staying in NYC might want to leave from LGA

Hi All,

I was looking at possibly doing one day post cruise sightseeing of New York prior to returning back home. I am disembarking from the Anthem of the Seas on July 9th 2016. (Cape Liberty) Can I get some suggestions as to a game plan on how to handle this? ie: what to see, where to stay via the one night, and what airport I should leave out of? (I have not booked my return flight yet. Possibly EWR?) Also, suggestions for transportation involved in all this too??? :confused::confused::confused:

What is your hotel budget? Is accessible public transit an option with luggage? Would you take a late flight the following day?

Also recommend staying in midtown. This time spent getting in from Jersey or Queens isn't worth the money you might save. With plenty of time to plan, look for a deal. If its your first trip to NY think about the classics; Empire SB, Statue of Lib and Times Sq. Also consider the HOHO bus, which should be able to get you to the major sites.

Can you stretch it to two, or at least take a late flight home?

With a very short time, I'd try to stay in Midtown.

What do you want to see? Do you want to see a lot, or do some things reasonably well? The answer to that dramatically changes "must see/must do" recommendations. How mobile are you?

HOHO buses show you a lot, but if you want to hop off, you'll run out of time. Realize they're also traveling in the worst urban traffic in North America, so a mile, especially crosstown, can be very slow!

Seeing a few things you really want to see, and walk, subway, or take a cab between them is the other option. You won't see as much, but you'll experience more of the city.

Either works. They're just different...

Can someone please give me some input on these two hotels for a pre-cruise? Are either one of these hotels close to something to do and eat for dinner? I will be flying in arriving at 2:17pm and head straight to the hotel. We are a family of 4... 2 kids- 6yrs & 16yrs. I just want to kill some time shopping or sightseeing if possible??? Thoughts???

I am also considering Trinity or Embassy Suites if I can't find something cheaper???

1. Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

618 US Highway 1 & 9 South Newark, NJ 07114 - $224.07 incl tax

2.SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

652 US Highway 1 and 9 South Newark, NJ 07114

1.4 miles from airport - $167.47 incl tax

Both these hotels incl breakfast but I believe I would have to find my own transportation to Cape Liberty port.

Hi All,

One day in Manhattan? Surely you're kidding.

Planning in the NY metro area is a balance of time, money, and stress. IMO it's way too early to be able to finalize precruise plans for next July. My sense from your posts us that hotel cost is a significant factor. However, big question for your family of 4 is whether you can manage your luggage on accessible public transit. If you can, then you can save a significant amount of money on car service transportation.

My suggestion for post cruise is to look at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. You can get a cancellable room for $222 tax included for July 9. To get there you would take a cab to the Bayonne light rail station ($20) and take the light rail to Jersey City ($7) where there is a stop 1 block from the hotel. To get to the EWR airport you can take the light rail one stop to Exchange Place ($7), PATH to Newark ($11), and the train to the airport ($27).

For inbound airport accommodations your best deal will probably be the Trinity resevations Ramada Plaza park, sleep cruise package which is not yet available. I should be a little over $200 for the hotel and the transportation to the port.

The only issue is what to do with the kids when you arrive. There is bus transportation from the Ramada to the Jersey Gardens Mall which we can find out about for you.

Another option is to book the Robert Treat in downtown Newark and pay for a car service to the port. They have an airport and train station shuttle, so you could check in there and take the train or PATH into ?Manhattan the day you arrive. This would also be a post cruise option and would minimize your public transit encounters with luggage.

Can someone please give me some input on these two hotels for a pre-cruise? Are either one of these hotels close to something to do and eat for dinner? I will be flying in arriving at 2:17pm and head straight to the hotel. We are a family of 4... 2 kids- 6yrs & 16yrs. I just want to kill some time shopping or sightseeing if possible??? Thoughts???

I am also considering Trinity or Embassy Suites if I can't find something cheaper???

1. Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

618 US Highway 1 & 9 South Newark, NJ 07114 - $224.07 incl tax

2.SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

652 US Highway 1 and 9 South Newark, NJ 07114

1.4 miles from airport - $167.47 incl tax

Both these hotels incl breakfast but I believe I would have to find my own transportation to Cape Liberty port.

Both are OK hotels but the neighborhood is INDUSTRIAL. You will BE safe but you might not feel safe. Think that really industrial town that begins with a C south of LAX or even the port of Long Beach, not the city.

There is nothing to walk to. You will need a car to go anywhere. By the time you get done paying a taxi even to take your family to NJ Penn Station & buy tickets for everyone back & forth, you may be better off paying the money to stay in Manhattan.

As a general proposition cheaper & NYC do not go together. :o

Edited by trish1c

Both are OK hotels but the neighborhood is INDUSTRIAL ... There is nothing to walk to. You will need a car to go anywhere. :o

Ditto, as above - it's fine if you are driving & need to park, and the rates are better (lower ... is this Hotwire quoted ?)

Both are OFF the local service road (2 lanes) on the south side of the Hway 1/9 next to EWR, it doesn't even compare to those along Century Blvd. at LAX - it's about 3/4 mile to the nearest intersection with cars, trucks & buses zipping by at/above the posted 55 MPH speed limit, not very safe - especially in the dark (Hi-Visibility safety Orange clothing would help) to a Burger King & convenience store inside 24/7 gas stations, and I think one greasy-spoon diner for truckers. (plus, whatever dining options within the property)

The general area is industrial but the immediate surrounding is virtually in the middle of nowhere, aside from several airport car rentals down the road - with shuttles running back & forth. Use Google Earth and/or Map to zoom in ground view to see for yourselves - one of the best cyber-tool these days for travelers unfamiliar with these neighborhoods, before booking.

Checkout those closer to the nearby Ikea, outlet hall with restaurants & food court, it's a lot better - if you are looking for an overnight stay & flying in one day before, etc. Happy Cruising ;)