Should I cancel my whale watching excursion?

chloe45

I recently had hip replacement surgery. I scheduled this excursion a while ago before knowing I needed surgery. It will be about 5 weeks from surgery to cruise time. For those of you that have had this surgery you know there is a 90 degree rule (bending) for 3 month after surgery. My concern is the catamaran trip. How smooth are the waters? Does the boat bob excessively? Falling is also a great concern. What would you do?

I recently had hip replacement surgery. I scheduled this excursion a while ago before knowing I needed surgery. It will be about 5 weeks from surgery to cruise time. For those of you that have had this surgery you know there is a 90 degree rule (bending) for 3 month after surgery. My concern is the catamaran trip. How smooth are the waters? Does the boat bob excessively? Falling is also a great concern. What would you do?

Where? It is the ocean and you will be on a smaller craft. Once you are there and it gets rough there is no getting off. So why take the chance?

Since there would be so many things out of your control such as water conditions, how crowded the catamaran is, weather I would cancel it. But if it's a princess excursion, you can cancel it when you get on board up to about 24 hrs before. Just check the closing time at the tour office. You may do really well and it won't be a problem. good luck with your surgery!!!

I would cancel. 5 weeks is way too soon IMO. My DH is at 12 weeks right now after a total hip replacement and he still wouldn't take the chance. Falling is the biggest concern but seating is another issue. Usually there are only benches to sit on. Can you get up and down from a bench? DH needed to have a seat with arms.

Good luck on your recovery.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

I think it depends on the hip replacement method. My friend was climbing (literally) in and out of safari vehicles less than four months after a total hip replacement. The newer techniques allow for much faster and easier recovery. It was her 2nd replacement and was a totally different, and positive, experience.

I think it depends on the hip replacement method. My friend was climbing (literally) in and out of safari vehicles less than four months after a total hip replacement. The newer techniques allow for much faster and easier recovery. It was her 2nd replacement and was a totally different, and positive, experience.

Your friend's less than 4 months is a lot different than the OP's 5 week time frame.

My sister had a hip replacement last year and it was somewhere between 8 and 10 weeks before she was feeling back to 100%. 5 weeks would seem to be pushing it a bit.

Edited by ar1950

Best advice would be to talk to your doctors/surgeons. They may have suggestions on equipment that could help you do the excursion that none of the rest of us are aware of. They should also be able to determine if it will be safe given your rate of recovery after the surgery itself.

My mom had hip replacement a while before our cruise. I made sure she'd talked to the doctors about whether it would be ok for her or not. Thankfully, it was. She was still limited in a number of ways, but was able to enjoy herself.

I would advise definitely canceling the excursion. You don't want to take a chance on dislocating the hip. Hip replacements are wonderful - I've had mine for eleven years - but you do have to be really careful during the initial period after surgery, and five weeks is not very long. Save that excursion for later when it won't be a worry.

I had total hip replacement in Feb and cruised to Alaska in May. I was three months out. The one thing I would suggest you do is take a cane or walker in the event you should have rough seas and the ship is rocking. It will help you inside and also on any shore excursions that you think you may need the extra help. As far as the whale watching excursion, I think I would cancel that and plan to do it the next time you go to Alaska. Once you see Alaska, you will be wanting to go back and see more. Never really wanted to go to Alaska, but last year got the bug and decided maybe I do want to go there. Well, we are now thinking to going back in five years to see the interior of the state.

Had rt. hip replacement on April 8th of this year. We delayed a trip to the Black Hills with the grandkids until the middle of July just to give me a little over 3 mos to recover!!! I would not do the catamaran whale watching tour this soon out from the surgery. Too many unknown conditions to worry about! Good advice to take a cane for the ship's movement too. Last thing you want is to fall and dislocate the joint!

I appreciate all your posts. Although my recovery has been remarkable so far (walking without a cane after 12 days) I'm not going to take the chance. You all confirmed where my head was going anyway. I will take a cane just in case, plus my grabber and my clothes helper oner stick (made friends with PT in the hospital and he snatched me one) very handy.

Congratulations on your progress. Today I am exactly two months from my hip replacement. I had an anterior approach with no motion restrictions after surgery. I'm under age 50 and in otherwise good health. I felt so good that three weeks after surgery, DH and I spent an entire afternoon at the mall, only to find myself unable to walk the next morning. At five weeks post-op, I would suggest that you not risk your recovery. I wish you continued success.

I appreciate all your posts. Although my recovery has been remarkable so far (walking without a cane after 12 days) I'm not going to take the chance. You all confirmed where my head was going anyway. I will take a cane just in case, plus my grabber and my clothes helper oner stick (made friends with PT in the hospital and he snatched me one) very handy.

Good decision. As I said, DH is at 12 weeks and doing great. He has been walking almost three miles every day. This from a 69 year old that never walked if he could help it. :D:eek: We still are being very careful since soft tissue takes 6-12 months to heal no matter what approach the surgeon used.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise!!

Cheers, Denise

Yes, good decision.

To confirm your decision, let me add: sometimes there is a steep ramp from the whale watching boat's pier, back up to the bus parking lot. I was more concerned about the ramp than the seat on the boat, or the rough seas.

Do plan to go whale watch at some time in the future. I have been on Princess watching tours in Juneau, Maui, Santa Barbara, and Victoria. It is always spectacular! Do it for sure in the future:)

Thar she blows!!!

Yes' date=' good decision.

To confirm your decision, let me add: sometimes there is a steep ramp from the whale watching boat's pier, back up to the bus parking lot. I was more concerned about the ramp than the seat on the boat, or the rough seas.

Do plan to go whale watch at some time in the future. I have been on Princess watching tours in Juneau, Maui, Santa Barbara, and Victoria. It is always spectacular! Do it for sure in the future:)

Thar she blows!!![/quote']

This is the second whale watching that I will miss out on. First was Maui due to weather and this one. I do plan to go back to Alaska. Didn't know when I booked that Glacier Bay was better than Tracy's Arm. But I don't really need an excuse to plan another cruise. LOL.

On a positive note, we saw more whales and dolphins from the cruise ship than we did on the whale watch tour. Bring some binoculars and sit out on deck. You should see some.

Good to know. I just bought some new binoculars (DH gave away the set we had). We have an AFT suite so this will be perfect.

Is there alot to do at the port of Juneau? Does the ship dock near the action?