New internet program fleetwide by early 2016

NavarreCruiser

Below is a press release about the new internet program released yesterday 8/10:

New Mobile App Currently Available on Carnival Breeze Being Met With Tremendous Response; Fleetwide Implementation Scheduled for Next Year

MIAMI, Aug. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Cruise Line's new social media Internet packages – which offer access to a variety of popular Web sites for just $5 a day – are now available on more than half of the line's ships with fleetwide implementation scheduled by the first quarter of 2016.

Additionally, the line's new mobile app – currently available on Carnival Breeze and offering an innovative "chat" feature – has been very well received with a third of the ship's guests actively using the app during their cruise. The app is expected to be available on five additional ships by the end of the year and be fleetwide by summer 2016.

"Fast, affordable and reliable social media channels and the Internet have become essential on today's cruise ships," said Gabriela Gonzalez, Carnival's vice president of guest technology. "We have thoughtfully approached this area to ensure we are providing options that guests sailing throughout our fleet find truly valuable and reliable," she added.

Currently available on 13 ships, Carnival's enhanced Internet access offers dramatically increased bandwidth and speed while the cruise industry's first social media package provides unlimited access to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Pinterest and other popular sites for just $5 per day with discounted plans available for the entire cruise.

Unlike other shipboard Internet packages, Carnival's social media package is unique in that it allows guests a convenient, flexible and highly affordable option for updating their favorite social media channels during their cruise at one low price.

There's also a "value" plan that includes unlimited access to the Web for checking email, sports scores, weather updates and a wide range of other applications, and a "premium" package that provides the fastest available connection speed and allows access to video calling sites like Skype.

The new Carnival HUB mobile app currently on Carnival Breeze provides guests with a convenient, at-a-glance view of the ship's many facilities and features along with updates on events and happenings taking place on board, all available free of charge. Available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, the app also includes an innovative "chat" feature that allows guests to exchange messages with their traveling companions using their mobile devices for a flat fee of $5 for the entire cruise.

The app also includes day-by-day schedules of hundreds of on-board events, information on food and beverage venues, searchable deck plans, itinerary details, Sail & Sign account balance and more. Recently added options include the ability to pre-purchase the line's Cheers! and Bottomless Bubbles beverage programs and upload photos to be displayed on Carnival Breeze's 270-square-foot Seaside Theatre during the voyage. Additional features are scheduled to be added in the future.

For additional information and reservations on Carnival Cruise Line, contact any travel agent, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit carnival.com.

Just off the Carnival Conquest for a back to back 16 days of cruising. Was VERY VERY disappointed in the premium high speed package for the 8 day price of $99.00 per cruise. Yes it works great when you are in port and everybody is OFF THE SHIP. But on sea days and in the evenings every night, the speed was horrible, was unable to Skype call, and basically was VERY VERY disappointed about it. It was so bad on leg 2 of the cruise that after complaining to guest services we got a 50% credit back. When I asked guest services if the premium unlimited internet package would get better since it was just initiated on this ship on July 24th, I was told that this is as good as it gets. Hopefully this was simply wrong information and Carnival's other ships that have high speed unlimited internet service are much much better than what I experienced for 16 nights of sailing. If you can't use it when everybody is on the ship than its not going to work with a darn. So excited about this till I actually tried it and now realize it won't work good for surfing or skype unless the ship is empty and in a port of call.

Does anyone know if a schedule of ships to get this feature has been published? I am sailing on the Miracle in late January, early February and am wondering if this will be available to me. I am traveling with my adult daughter and several friends this time around, so it would be nice to private message my husband through Facebook while I am away. The cruise is 13 nights and we haven't been apart for this long before. I will miss him, but this is a girls cruise! LOL

i was also very disappointed with the unlimited internet on the Breeze. After complaining to guest services as well, they explained the problem simply as... they allowed all the extra traffic, without enough bandwith ( everywhere you walk, eat, visit, you see social media, facebook, picture uploads) and of course with so many doing this day long, it will drag the service miserably, and it does

i dont know if we saw too many between ages 12-30 without their social media ( which can be purchased for $25 and gives unlimited use of facebook etc)

that alone would destroy connection speeds

Id rather pay a price and be able to connect

We were on the Breeze in May and experience the same. In fact the Carnival worker at the Future Cruise Desk was so disgusted with the internet that he kept rolling his eyes and saying "welcome to my life". He said same thing...they made it more accessible to everyone without increasing band width. He said because of that he usually jots all info down and does actual bookings between 1am-4am in morning because that's the only time he can get a good connection. I purchased the social media package which was fine unless I tried to upload a pic which took 30 minutes or more.

I remember how in the past the internet connections were quite often terrible. In fact this is the source of the only complaints I have had with Carnival. I felt that it was not right that when you were paying per minute or a package you could be sitting waiting for several minutes just for a website to load. They were aware of the situation and should make an effort to advise their customers of a change in the level of service that we could expect. Anyways, when I complained they always gave me a credit for what was billed.

Now if I just want to do an airline check in I have to buy a 1 day package for $16, no more pay per minute. At least this way if the connection is crap, I have a whole day to get though. You can't win :confused:

For me this is the last day of a great trip so I don't let it bother me too much.

happy sailing

Does anyone know if a schedule of ships to get this feature has been published? I am sailing on the Miracle in late January, early February and am wondering if this will be available to me. I am traveling with my adult daughter and several friends this time around, so it would be nice to private message my husband through Facebook while I am away. The cruise is 13 nights and we haven't been apart for this long before. I will miss him, but this is a girls cruise! LOL

Pretty sure it's been posted in several of the dozen or so recent threads. Do a search of this board only. Shouldn't be difficult to find. Mr. Heald has posted it on his FB page but I don't follow him.

I've only done the Value plan on my 11/29/14 Freedom sailing and it was more than I needed/wanted, really. Speed and connectivity was good.

For Splendor to Bermuda in October, if I do any at all (really don't need to stay connected), I'll just go with the Social plan.

Internet is painfully slow. Time for Carnival to join the 21st century.

This is an ignorant question on my part, but is it even plausible for them to have a satellite-based (I presume?) internet system with enough bandwidth for a whole ship's worth of passengers to get speedy service?

This is an ignorant question on my part, but is it even plausible for them to have a satellite-based (I presume?) internet system with enough bandwidth for a whole ship's worth of passengers to get speedy service?

It's a fair question, actually. My opinion is that they're trying to improve their Internet experience. The reviews of the online experience are generally much better for those with the newer Internet access, though far from ideal.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if a schedule of ships to get this feature has been published?

Per CCL web site

The following ships are offering the NEW internet plans as of August 2015. We aim to complete the rest of the North American fleet by the end of this year. Other ships not listed here still have by-the-minute plans. Note: Implementation dates are subject to change.

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Elation

Carnival Fantasy – starting September 19th

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Magic – starting August 16th

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Triumph – starting August 29th

Carnival Valor – starting September 12th

Carnival Victory

Per CCL web site

The following ships are offering the NEW internet plans as of August 2015. We aim to complete the rest of the North American fleet by the end of this year. Other ships not listed here still have by-the-minute plans. Note: Implementation dates are subject to change.

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Elation

Carnival Fantasy – starting September 19th

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Magic – starting August 16th

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Triumph – starting August 29th

Carnival Valor – starting September 12th

Carnival Victory

Thank you so much for posting this. It looks like we will just have to wait and see regarding Miracle.