Jewellery stores

pipewrencher

just wanted to post about jewellery shopping in Kusadasi Turkey at Narsis jewellery .DO NOT shop at this store , my sister and I were on a European cruise and bought two rings there. Very very expensive lesson . When we got home we had them appraised only to find both were damaged with cracks and stones falling out. Contacted Shaban from the store and after several emails would do nothing for us now they have not replied to us at all. Very very poor customer service and a very hard lesson for us to learn.

just wanted to post about jewellery shopping in Kusadasi Turkey at Narsis jewellery .DO NOT shop at this store , my sister and I were on a European cruise and bought two rings there. Very very expensive lesson . When we got home we had them appraised only to find both were damaged with cracks and stones falling out. Contacted Shaban from the store and after several emails would do nothing for us now they have not replied to us at all. Very very poor customer service and a very hard lesson for us to learn.

You do realize that you may have credit card protections in place with which to ease your losses. Travel savvy cards like United Airlines Explorer Visa can be extremely helpful with such issues. Hopefully, you did not pay cash for an expensive item in a foreign country.

...I would never buy any type of jewelry in any foreign country -- Caribbean -- Europe, etc....

I absolutely agree with you. I think sometimes we get caught up in the romance of the situation, being on a beautiful Caribbean island miles away from home... want a special piece of jewelry... anyway, I wouldn't do it either. OP, so sorry this happened to you. :(

Sorry to hear about this.

See if you can resolve this via your credit card company as another poster suggested. Hope something works out in your favor.

JMO -- but I would never buy any type of jewelry in any foreign country -- Caribbean -- Europe, etc. I have read here too many times about people getting home and have their items re-appraised only to find they weren't worth what they paid for them.

Not quite on point to the OP, since I've never been to Turkey, but I would like to give a slightly opposing situation. We were told about a jewelry store on St. Thomas (not one recommended by the ship), and bought several pieces that seemed a fair price to us. Once we got home, I had them appraised by an independent appraiser. Each piece appraised for 25%-150% more than we had paid. (And no, I am not a shill for the place - I have no connection to it other than being a happy patron.)

Just like everywhere, you have to be smart when shopping. And again, just like everywhere, there are good merchants and bad ones.