Curious but not Criticism

papa B me

What amazes me is the amount of Viking bashers who have never been on a Viking cruise. I have friends who like Viking and I invited them to this website to research future cruises and they came back indicating that they would have nothing to do with this board due to the negativity towards Viking. They could not believe the negative tone of this board. I happen to agree with them. I completely understand if you have cruised 2 or 3 different lines and prefer a line over another but to endlessly post negatively about a line they have no real experience with me befuddles me. At least experience it before you bash it so your opinion is at least valid. The other amazement I have with this board is the cheerleaders of a line who have also never experienced it and how these people argue with others that their chosen line is superior to other lines when these people have never stepped foot on a river cruise.

I don't think you need to personally be beat up in order to understand (with lots of research) to know which suppliers you may want to steer clear of. The true reports of nightmares are reported in multiple places and there to read if you do your due diligence.

What amazes me is the amount of Viking bashers who have never been on a Viking cruise. I have friends who like Viking and I invited them to this website to research future cruises and they came back indicating that they would have nothing to do with this board due to the negativity towards Viking. They could not believe the negative tone of this board. I happen to agree with them. I completely understand if you have cruised 2 or 3 different lines and prefer a line over another but to endlessly post negatively about a line they have no real experience with me befuddles me. At least experience it before you bash it so your opinion is at least valid. The other amazement I have with this board is the cheerleaders of a line who have also never experienced it and how these people argue with others that their chosen line is superior to other lines when these people have never stepped foot on a river cruise.

When I watch a river cruise commercial it is Viking and it makes me want to join them. When we were in Budapest it was apparent how many ships Viking has compared to the competition. There were often 6 to 10 Viking ships and 1 or 2 of the other lines every single day at the side of the river. They are a powerhouse. That said, when I read here that if I book today for a cruise in late 2016 that I have to pay the entire amount shortly... that makes me think of Renaissance cruises in the late 1990s... same crappy policy. They went broke in 2001. Pretty much when someone wants me to pay up front 100% whether they are a roofing contractor or a holiday company, I think someone is about to get ripped off. It is all good as long as your cruise happens before the lights go out, but if the lights go out before your cruise who is the idiot.... the people here or you....

just saying....

Personally, Viking ads are awesome.

jc

love reading the travel experiences on this forum and in particular those that relate to river cruising. nothing wrong with expressing opinions and respectively accepting that others may chose to agree/disagree.

it is valuable to listen to others experiences as well as to do other research. we all have different requirements and budgets when considering travel. some are active actual cruisers others potential ones.

sharing experiences and seeking info is part of the purpose of the forum. many maybe exploring views to see if river cruising is for them. difficult for novices as there is so much choice and sometimes brands are not consistent.

As someone who has NOT taken a river cruise yet, let me offer my perspective on this issue. I am here reading daily because I see ourselves taking a river cruise in the next 2-3 years. Many friends and family who have taken ocean cruises have raved about their experiences, but it is clear that's not for us.

So those who come here and say the river cruise couldn't hold a candle to their ocean cruise, their thoughts are irrelevant to me. I don't want 8 dining venues, nightly Vegas-style shows, thousands of additional passengers, paying for every single excursion, constant sales pitches for art, jewelry, climbing walls and multiple pools, etc., etc. So these folks have a right to their opinions certainly, but they aren't going to sway us away from river cruises. River cruising seems more our style. Different strokes for different folks.

Rather, I am learning so much about the pros and cons of each cruise line, each itinerary, each port, etc., in order to help us make an informed choice.

So I would prefer to hear from those who have river cruised, what they liked and disliked. On this forum, one would expect there would be more who would cruise a river again rather than NEVER do it again.

Just my two cents (or .02 euro :) )

We haven't done a river cruise yet, but we do have one booked on Viking - a Rhine Getaway - for next year.

I'm like a sponge when I'm doing my research - I soak up everything. I'm interested to hear from those who would do a river cruise again and those who wouldn't. I like to know what to expect. I go into everything with high hopes and low expectations. The negatives help me keep my expectations realistic.

We've done many ocean cruises. I love them and we do Carnival - it works for us. They are relatively inexpensive - leaving $ for other travel around the cruises. They're fun. I like the ports. I like the ships. I'd love to do an upscale line, but DH is a casual kind of guy and he doesn't want to dress up.

We've been to Europe before on our own and with a group. We chose to do a river cruise because it's something different - something we've never done before. While I will do the land excursions - I want that river experience. So again - I want to read about both positive and negative so I know what to expect.

We booked knowing about river level issues - I'm hoping we don't have them, but I'm prepared if we do. We booked knowing about rafting - and we booked a veranda anyway - we wanted the extra space. If I have a chat with a neighbor over a a cup of coffee or a glass of wine - great! I do know to keep my curtains closed :)

So Hoyaheel's response was great! I appreciate anyone with experience willing to help the newbies like us. If I find someone who seems to just be bashing for bashing sake - I skip those, and take a lot of others with a grain of salt (and what does that mean anyway :) )

And I thank anyone who contributes to my knowledge!

We haven't done a river cruise yet, but we do have one booked on Viking - a Rhine Getaway - for next year.

I'm like a sponge when I'm doing my research - I soak up everything. I'm interested to hear from those who would do a river cruise again and those who wouldn't. I like to know what to expect. I go into everything with high hopes and low expectations. The negatives help me keep my expectations realistic.

We've done many ocean cruises. I love them and we do Carnival - it works for us. They are relatively inexpensive - leaving $ for other travel around the cruises. They're fun. I like the ports. I like the ships. I'd love to do an upscale line, but DH is a casual kind of guy and he doesn't want to dress up.

We've been to Europe before on our own and with a group. We chose to do a river cruise because it's something different - something we've never done before. While I will do the land excursions - I want that river experience. So again - I want to read about both positive and negative so I know what to expect.

We booked knowing about river level issues - I'm hoping we don't have them, but I'm prepared if we do. We booked knowing about rafting - and we booked a veranda anyway - we wanted the extra space. If I have a chat with a neighbor over a a cup of coffee or a glass of wine - great! I do know to keep my curtains closed :)

So Hoyaheel's response was great! I appreciate anyone with experience willing to help the newbies like us. If I find someone who seems to just be bashing for bashing sake - I skip those, and take a lot of others with a grain of salt (and what does that mean anyway :) )

And I thank anyone who contributes to my knowledge!

One big different you will notice that river cruising is a MUCH slower and quitter pace then ocean cruising. There are no where near as many organized activities onboard a river boat and most people you may find will probably like to quietly read a book or sit an watch the world go by or enjoy a conversation with others.

One big different you will notice that river cruising is a MUCH slower and quitter pace then ocean cruising. There are no where near as many organized activities onboard a river boat and most people you may find will probably like to quietly read a book or sit an watch the world go by or enjoy a conversation with others.

Very true.

Cyber Kat, your husband will like the no fuss dress code. I really didn't notice anyone dressing up on our river cruise. No formal night. No Black tie. You need to be able to entertain yourself. On our cruise we got to watch the ebola crisis and the Ferguson riots with about 6 different foreign news versions of those events. :D:eek:

jc

You are so right, Sir! It is a much slower and quieter pace, which is one of the reasons we love river cruising. (We also love cruising with Celebrity). There really are no organized activities on board except for mealtime. There may be a few lectures about where you're going and there will probably be some local entertainment after dinner but pretty much everyone retires to their cabin by 10 p.m.

QUOTE: Cybercat:

Way to go...with that attitude you're going to love river cruising....and rafting only really matters in the morning before you leave the ship for the day...by the time you return in the afternoon you'll have your curtains closed, go to dinner, hang out in lounge for a little while and then it's dark out. I've had some memorable conversations with people who were rafted next to my cabin and have actually shared tea, wine and cookies. The most fun was in Russia (late afternoon) where the first five minutes of conversation were finding a common language, then the wine was poured!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

On our cruise we got to watch the ebola crisis and the Ferguson riots with about 6 different foreign news versions of those events.

Ha - we just kept our tv on one of the 11 (yes, really) fireplace channels:D (it was a holiday cruise, we LOVED the fireplace, actually - it went with the music we were playing on our computer while we enjoyed our afternoon drinks/getting ready in the cabin before dinner.

(there are river cameras too - can't remember if we had bow and stern or just bow - but since a riverboat is relatively small, that didn't thrill us as much as it does on a larger ocean cruising vessel - on our boat, we could just lean out the window (assuming no rafting;) ) and see what's outside.

However - a caveat for those who have booked - expecting a "quiet" experience... It is usually a port-intensive trip - and many included excursions are in the morning. So - up, dressed, breakfast and off the ship (if you want the included excursions).

We went on our 1st river cruise expecting the leisurely cruise scenario. A bit of a shock to discover it wasn't the reality!!

Fran

However - a caveat for those who have booked - expecting a "quiet" experience... It is usually a port-intensive trip - and many included excursions are in the morning. So - up, dressed, breakfast and off the ship (if you want the included excursions).

We went on our 1st river cruise expecting the leisurely cruise scenario. A bit of a shock to discover it wasn't the reality!!

Fran

Good point, Fran! And you are SO right!!! and very often its back for lunch and then out again for afternoon excursion. No wonder we're in bed by 10.

Good point, Fran! And you are SO right!!! and very often its back for lunch and then out again for afternoon excursion. No wonder we're in bed by 10.

Yes, these cruises are very tour oriented for those that avail themselves of the oppurtunity to visit the ports and take tours. Can be long busy days for sure.

Although, on our cruise we befriended a couple at the hotel before the cruise. I think they took 2 tours and those were the shorter ones. They often didn't leave the ship at all in several ports. Partially, that is due to their age and stamina. So for them I imagine it was far more relaxing:D

jc

As someone who doesn't think Viking is the right choice for me, I have to agree with your bemusement. My wife tends to bash Viking, and she's never taken one of their cruises (though she's been on the boats when we've double-docked). I too find it odd, but I think it may have something to do with their advertising; some people just react negatively to television ads and to being deluged with brochures (and I bet we get ten pounds of Viking advertising every year).

Personally, I'm grateful for Viking's advertising budget, because it helps keep a lot of great programming on US public television!

The river cruise forum is the last place I would discourage someone from posting as this is a relatively new mode of travel for the masses. There is not a massive data base to search compared to ocean cruising. There are few posted reviews, few posted trip reports.

I read here but don't post often. I've previously said I sailed Viking once on a last minute bargain package and I'm undecided whether I want to do it again. The weak point was the food. I didn't complain when we had to switch riverboats last June due to low water levels and I had no customer service issues.

I have said there is a lot of crowd herding, everyone goes out on excursions at the same time, everyone eats dinner and sometimes lunch at the same time.

Keep the comments comng, please.,

The river cruise forum is the last place I would discourage someone from posting as this is a relatively new mode of travel for the masses.

I've previously said I sailed Viking once on a last minute bargain package and I'm undecided whether I want to do it again. The weak point was the food.

Keep the comments coming, please.,

And never say 'NEVER"...I have done 4 river cruises--3 of them with Viking. The first one in 2001 was fabulous.

The second one in 2012 had awful food and swill for wine. The crew could have cared less about us. It was the last cruise of the 2012 season and perhaps moral, supplies and quality were running low.

And yet...given a good enough 'deal', this year 2015 I booked again with Viking and gave them another chance...I figured I would give them the chance to win me over 2 out of 3 times.

The food was wonderful and the wine delicious.

So for those posters who insist they will NEVER take a river cruise or NEVER take another river cruise or NEVER cruise again with Company V, I offer these words: everyone has a bad day and deserves the chance or second chance to make things right. It worked for me anyways.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

As someone who doesn't think Viking is the right choice for me, I have to agree with your bemusement. My wife tends to bash Viking, and she's never taken one of their cruises (though she's been on the boats when we've double-docked). I too find it odd, but I think it may have something to do with their advertising; some people just react negatively to television ads and to being deluged with brochures (and I bet we get ten pounds of Viking advertising every year).

Personally, I'm grateful for Viking's advertising budget, because it helps keep a lot of great programming on US public television!

Agree, they are and advertising monster. Sometimes I even read the stuff they send out.

That said, paying a year or more in advance is reason enough for me to never book them in advance. If a deal popped up for two weeks from now and I had FF miles and available vacation time I would hop on in a heartbeat... since that will never happen, probably will never sail with them.. I hope to walk thru their pursers desk area someday.:D:eek:

jc

Agree, they are and advertising monster. Sometimes I even read the stuff they send out.

That said, paying a year or more in advance is reason enough for me to never book them in advance. If a deal popped up for two weeks from now and I had FF miles and available vacation time I would hop on in a heartbeat... since that will never happen, probably will never sail with them.. I hope to walk thru their pursers desk area someday.:D:eek:

jc

Viking dumps lots of summer Grand European sailings two to three weeks prior, various big box agencies make a market. Ours came with air and transfers. They also dump off season shorter cruises.

Viking dumps lots of summer Grand European sailings two to three weeks prior, various big box agencies make a market. Ours came with air and transfers. They also dump off season shorter cruises.

In that case I still may sail with them.:D That will be when I retire in a decade if they still are around. I have to plan my trips still at this point of my life. Can't just go.

jc

Thanks again to those who replied, most comments have led me to believe that we are going to love our river cruise. I will relish the quiet times in between the tours. I'm prepared for both. I'm glad we got the veranda room, because it will be nice to have a place to sit read - which I love to do.

I also think I'll enjoy being out and about on the ship. i don't need organized activities, but the tours sound like I'll enjoy them, Aug 2016 can't come soon enough!

Well I made this statement in my thread ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2222201 ) to sum up my review.

"As much as we enjoyed the trip, it is probably our last river cruise, at least for some time. It gave us a nice overview of a wide area. We know where we want to go back by car where we can linger as long as we want and take side trips if something catches our interest."

There are a couple reasons I do come back here, although now it is only occasionally as opposed to virtually every day before we took our cruise. Firstly, I told readers of that thread I would answer any questions I could about the ship or our experience. So I check just to see if there is anything I need to answer.

Secondly, I've had an interest in reading about the river levels. Apparently we went at just the right time (June 14th) because shortly after cruises were curtailed or cancelled. I was curious as to what happened with those passengers.

Thirdly, I am still curious to read a few topics. Prior to our cruise I would read most of the threads. Now I will read an occasional thread if the title catches my eye (like this one).

And lastly, never wanting to never say never, we may take either a Christmas cruise or one in France or Portugal someday. The only thing is this time it would only be a 7 or 8 day cruise. So I just want to stay casually in touch with what's going on. For instance there is a current thread asking about Christmas markets, so I read that one.

I agree with many of the other posters here regarding sailing with the same cruise line but having a totally different experience. We've sailed five different cruise lines and enjoyed them all in varying ways. We're a little older, so we really enjoyed Holland America and Celebrity. Sailed Celebrity one year and had a great experience. Second time sailing with them was a disaster. The food was awful and the service just so so. Would I book another cruise on Celebrity? Certainly. Just a bad cruise, that's all.

We have not done a river cruise as yet, but have booked a Scenic Budapest to Amsterdam for next September to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be great. We love travel and cruising. We also love sitting and reading a book. We're flexible, so if the water levels are too low and we have to go somewhere by bus, then that's what we'll do --- and have a great time doing it. Your vacation is what you make of it. We had a fabulous honeymoon (6 months after the wedding) in Bahamas even though it rained all week. It's what you make of it.

I agree with many of the other posters here regarding sailing with the same cruise line but having a totally different experience. We've sailed five different cruise lines and enjoyed them all in varying ways. We're a little older, so we really enjoyed Holland America and Celebrity. Sailed Celebrity one year and had a great experience. Second time sailing with them was a disaster. The food was awful and the service just so so. Would I book another cruise on Celebrity? Certainly. Just a bad cruise, that's all.

We have not done a river cruise as yet, but have booked a Scenic Budapest to Amsterdam for next September to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be great. We love travel and cruising. We also love sitting and reading a book. We're flexible, so if the water levels are too low and we have to go somewhere by bus, then that's what we'll do --- and have a great time doing it. Your vacation is what you make of it. We had a fabulous honeymoon (6 months after the wedding) in Bahamas even though it rained all week. It's what you make of it.

That's the attitude that makes all trips wonderful....in many different ways. :D

Some people post because they were unhappy and they know what they have to say (repeatedly) will save someone from making the same mistake.

I have not taken a river cruise yet - have to get my wife "on board" - but I do look through the topics here.

We have been exclusively on Norwegian, either Caribbean or Transatlantic, and the NCL board here has the same issue. There are a few very loud complainers who will "never sail NCL again" and accuse anyone satisfied of being a "cheerleader."

Here's what I've learned - on any review site, not just here, try to ignore the five-star and zero-star reviews. Read the ones in the middle. Read carefully. There will be some who took a cruise in 1903 and think their experience is still accurate. It is not. If you had a bad experience six months ago, that is probably relevant. If you had a bad experience six years ago on your only cruise, it probably is not. Times change.

Cruise Critic at times should be called Cruise Whiners. I do read many of the rants when I have time free, because they can be hilarious.

Hearing people's opinions is a valid part of research, but it is not the only part. Also, a person you actually know has an opinion more valid than someone with a screen name and a possible axe to grind.