Has anyone regretted NOT buying the drink package?

If you buy a drink package do you get a wristband, or is it listed on your sign and sail card?

It's on your card. If you ore purchase it may be printed on your card, if you buy once in board, they put a sticker on.

Not exactly your question, but we DID buy the package once and regretted it. I should have known better because our typical bar bill is no where near the cost of the package. Sure enough, we did not even come close to breaking even! For us, we now just pay as we go.

In the same vane, we've never bought a package and have no regrets. We decided many years ago not to worry about the bar bill and drink what we want. When the packages were introduced, we had enough cruising experience to know our bar bill would never be as much as getting a package for each of us.

Quick question...I just want to know if anyone who has NOT purchased the beverage package (alcohol ones) ever regretted not doing it?

I am seeing TONS of drink package posts and I have been reading them. I know there are a million people who are glad they didn't buy it. I want to hear the ones that regret it NOT buying it when they got that final bill.

I have never done the package before but I bit the bullet for this cruise for many reason (one being a 21 celebration and 4 ship days for us counting Labadee and the fact we don't like Grand Cayman). I have been back and forth on this since we booked a year ago and with the recent drink price increase I figured I should just go for it. We always blow up the bar tab the first 2-3 days anyway so adding it later in the cruise would make it worse.

TIA! We cruise in 4 days, looking forward to it!

Haven't read any of the other posts yet - but I knew time was of the essence. We cruised WITHOUT a drink package on the Allure and had horrible sticker shock when we got the bill. Even trying to be conscious of what we were drinking - you never really add up the tips or the random soda with dinner. Our total bill at the end of the cruise was more than double what it would have cost for us to have the drink package.

Next, on the FOS we got the drink package and had a fantastic time. We decided then and there that we would ALWAYS cruise with the drink package.

I don't think you'll regret it - especially if you like a few cocktails or beers during the day. With the rising drink prices (totally different thread - so please no comments - they are what they are) it can be quite worth it. But $40 - $60ish per day is VERY easy to spend on alcohol. And - you get to try all sorts of new and interesting drinks! :-)

Let us know what you decide. Post a review! :-)

I haven't read the rest of these posts either. But just went onto the cruise planner for my upcoming week on Indy. Ultimate Package will run me $454 for the week. Premium is $50 less. Looking at that number in my shopping cart is not fun. But I know from plenty of experience pre-drink packages being offered, that on a 7 day cruise (or even shorter:p) my bar bill was higher than that. Sometimes a lot higher. So nope, I will not regret spending $454 on the Ultimate. And I will get Ultimate because there are certain things on it I like to have every day that are not on the premium, and when you have the Ultimate bartenders do not question anything you order (at least in my experience).

But you have to take into account your own level of consumption. Good liquor drinks will run you $8 bucks each (or more) and a couple of drinks by the pool, a couple of drinks at dinner, a couple of drinks at night, plus sodas, energy drinks, specialty coffees, waters, etc - it adds up quickly.

Excellent points about the port intensiveness of the cruise and also how you are traveling.

I did not get one for Alaska, and I did regret it because many of us in the group I was with hung out in a lounge after dinner, and I had to watch my budget so often I didn't get anything. The server never made me feel bad about it (and I know I wasn't the only one not getting anything), but *I* felt bad about it. Next year the group has the premium package included, so it would be a moot point.

However, next year I am doing the 12-night Med/Venice Brilliance cruise by myself. Today I was looking at the excursions already up and making a list, so I know it will be pretty port intensive. I know I have $75 of onboard credit, so my thinking right now is I will get a couple of bottles of red wine pre-cruise while I'm in Barcelona (I don't do white, so chilling isn't a problem - but I was under the impression you could take the bottle to the dining room...obviously it wouldn't work the first night for that, but can they not store/chill it for you for future nights to avoid the struggle of getting ice?) and then using the credit (plus some I plan to buy) to either buy a glass at dinner each night or just buy another bottle or two. (Not being a wine snob, Clos de Bois Merlot is just fine for me.) MAYBE buy the Select package a few days in...but I'm not sure yet. I doubt I would do more than the Select as there are only 3 sea days, which are pretty much the only time I could see maybe getting a couple of mixed drinks.

Great thread. We have decided to try the premium package for the first time. It will definitely be to our advantage. My only question is.....I thought I had read that bottled water was included, but according to RCCL'S website....it is not listed. Can someone verify please? BIG water drinker and would really like it if it WAS included. :)

This is what is stated on the website:

The Premium Beverage Package* is the ultimate in convenience and value. Pay one set price and enjoy nearly our entire selection of spirits, beers and wines, plus non-alcoholic beverages.

Your choices include premium cocktails, frozen drinks, beers, wines by the glass, non-alcoholic cocktails, juices and fountain soda with a free Coca-Cola® souvenir cup. Drink up - there's plenty to choose from!

Price shown is per person, per day.

So after you purchase the package (any package) and order a drink from the bar does the bartender ask to see your sea pass card, then give you a receipt to sign with a zero balance or just look to see if the card has a sticker on it? :confused: Never bought the package so not sure how this works. :o

So after you purchase the package (any package) and order a drink from the bar does the bartender ask to see your sea pass card, then give you a receipt to sign with a zero balance or just look to see if the card has a sticker on it? :confused: Never bought the package so not sure how this works. :o

The way I understand it is that varies ship to ship and maybe even bar to bar. Some bartenders will have you sign a 0.00 receipt and some will just run the card and not have you sign anything. I do believe your Seapass card gets ran every time though

Sea Pass Card gets rung up every time so they can track purchases and consumption so no one 'cheats the system' by passing the card around. There is a time limit between included N/C drinks and you can only get one at a time. This also lets them watch who is possibly over imbibing . Every bartender is different as the signing goes some make sure you sign every slip others have you sign the first one then just keep swiping card. The Soda machine has a time limit between refills on the cup so do not fill up cup and chug it down and try to refill because it will not work. If you need to do that you need to go to a bar for a refill.

Edited by uncle John

I have ordered the drink package for our upcoming cruise on the Freedom in Sept. Our last cruise the sticker shock on our drinks was too much and I thought we were paying attention! LOL Now this time we wont have to worry and we also will be able to try those crazy frozen drinks we never had before :D

I am feeling so much better, I am glad I posted this question:) I did already purchase it and was kinda having some buyers remorse...I have been back and forth on this for a year since we booked it! I purchased the package on Mon and we are cruising this Sun (3 more days!! )

After reading all the replies I am no longer feeling nervous or anxious...I think it will be money well spent...and..the fact I can try all the drinks...Now I am really excited!!

I will have to post a review when I get back...we are sailing FOS Aug 16-23. We did FOS a few years back and loved it. Looking forward to it!

Thank you for all your replies! I love hearing them :)

I don't drink alcohol anymore.

But as break even is about 6-8 drinks a day, when I did I would sure regret not getting one if I didn't.

The break even point would depend on what you drink. Since drink prices increase dramatically earlier this year, the break even point seems to be lower for many folks. Fruity/frozen cocktails and glasses of wine are running (ave.) $12. That brings the break even down quite a bit, especially considering water and soda are included as well.

The way I understand it is that varies ship to ship and maybe even bar to bar. Some bartenders will have you sign a 0.00 receipt and some will just run the card and not have you sign anything. I do believe your Seapass card gets ran every time though

Thank you ryano. I was thinking this might be the case.

Sea Pass Card gets rung up every time so they can track purchases and consumption so no one 'cheats the system' by passing the card around. There is a time limit between included N/C drinks and you can only get one at a time. This also lets them watch who is possibly over imbibing . Every bartender is different as the signing goes some make sure you sign every slip others have you sign the first one then just keep swiping card. The Soda machine has a time limit between refills on the cup so do not fill up cup and chug it down and try to refill because it will not work. If you need to do that you need to go to a bar for a refill.

Thanks uncle john for your detailed reply. I now know what to expect when ordering drinks. :D

Ryano is correct. Some bartenders gave me a zero receipt. some did nothing.. I would typically still add $1.00 to the zero receipts if it's a bar that I go to alot. I just think the service is better and that it's the right thing to do( for me)

Interesting, it does make sense to have such a mechanism to control unlimited swiping, one right after another. I have no doubt people with the package would get pressured by family/friends without the package.

Any idea of how much time needs to elapse? Is it just for the soda machines or do the bartenders find themselves unable to swipe the cards too?

I regret not having a package on my earlier cruises, used one on the last two and SAVED money! It just depends on how much you think you will drink. Some cruises each of us would have six or seven page invoices!

Take lots of pictures of the drinks. (Helps to remember which ones you liked and didn't like.)

My DP made a REALLY cool menu of the drinks in a folded little pocket sized booklet. I'll upload it later. Last cruise we carried it around with us and every time we went to order an "old standby" drink that we always drink - we pulled out the menu and made ourselves try something new. We found some GREAT ones! If we didn't like it - we just didn't drink it and ordered something else!!

We'd love to hear your feedback on the drink package after you get back.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!! :-)

Interesting, it does make sense to have such a mechanism to control unlimited swiping, one right after another. I have no doubt people with the package would get pressured by family/friends without the package.

Any idea of how much time needs to elapse? Is it just for the soda machines or do the bartenders find themselves unable to swipe the cards too?

I think its 10 minutes.

Take lots of pictures of the drinks. (Helps to remember which ones you liked and didn't like.

My DP made a REALLY cool menu of the drinks in a folded little pocket sized booklet. I'll upload it later. Last cruise we carried it around with us and every time we went to order an "old standby" drink that we always drink - we pulled out the menu and made ourselves try something new. We found some GREAT ones! If we didn't like it - we just didn't drink it and ordered something else!!

We'd love to hear your feedback on the drink package after you get back.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!! :-)

what an awesome idea...if you don't mind sharing, you could post it here and maybe even start a new thread about drinks people have tried on cruises that they never would have otherwise... And the OP has a great excuse to try all kinds of things... "It's all CC research..."

I like pre-paying so I know what the final number is. Also, if I order something strange and don't like it, I haven't wasted money. I guess that would be the only regret. Paying cash for a drink or glass of wine that tasted bad to me and not being able to return it. Don't have that issue with a package

I think its 10 minutes.

I think it was 10 minutes as well. I tried a few different things in the freestyle machine one day and discovered this when I tried for a 3rd drink.

I can't say I've ever seen a bartender swipe my card when I'm getting soda. They just looked at the card and gave it back to me.

My biggest problem with the drink packages is I believe the service has significantly decreased. The gratuity is pre-paid so they have no incentive to give you faster service. I've tried adding an additional gratuity and the only difference I ever saw was the bar service guy in the MDR would come around and check on me much more often, even though I'd only get 1 beer each night at dinner.

While I understand the reason to limit each person to 1 drink, I do get annoyed sometimes since I'd like to get a 2-3 at a time and go sit on my balcony.

what an awesome idea...if you don't mind sharing, you could post it here and maybe even start a new thread about drinks people have tried on cruises that they never would have otherwise... And the OP has a great excuse to try all kinds of things... "It's all CC research..."

I second that request!!