Afraid to book adventure of the seas

masim17

I have cruised many times on RCI, am a diamond member. I am planning to book a cruise with my son, DIL and then 4 year old granddaughter. I like to try the newer ships, but they want to leave from Puerto Rico so they can spend a few days there prior to the cruise. I have read so many negatives about the condition of this ship I am afraid to try it. We are going on the Anthem next June, and this would be in Oct, 2016. I want this to be a great experience for them, but this ship will be 1 1/2 years older by then. This is the only RCI ship leaving from PR. Should I consider another line, or can someone talk me off the ledge.

I have cruised many times on RCI, am a diamond member. I am planning to book a cruise with my son, DIL and then 4 year old granddaughter. I like to try the newer ships, but they want to leave from Puerto Rico so they can spend a few days there prior to the cruise. I have read so many negatives about the condition of this ship I am afraid to try it. We are going on the Anthem next June, and this would be in Oct, 2016. I want this to be a great experience for them, but this ship will be 1 1/2 years older by then. This is the only RCI ship leaving from PR. Should I consider another line, or can someone talk me off the ledge.

Masim, you're scaring yourself unnecessarily.

Look, while Adventure is not the newest in RCL's fleet, it's a really decent ship. I was just on Adventure in May, and I had heard the comments of a few folks who had some isolated issues. While I didn't castigate them for their opinions, I knew they didn't represent every cruiser on the ship. When DH and I sailed, there were no plumbing problems, the food wasn't "horrific", the light bulbs weren't burned out, carpet didn't appear to be peeling away from the wall. Those were the many things that I heard prior to boarding Adventure.

No, Adventure doesn't have the bells and whistles of Oasis/Allure/Quantum/Anthem, but she's a pretty classy ship. There's PLENTY to do and see onboard. You can't listen to everything that you hear (well, you CAN take it into consideration). Make your own decision to go with an open mind and the intent to have a great time. Happy Sailing!

We just got off adventure on Saturday and LOVED it!!! I actually can't figure out for the life of me how it gets such low ratings; I'm assuming they are coming from people who were expecting a brand new ship because maybe they'd sailed the oasis or allure prior to it or something??? Or perhaps you just have to chalk it up to some people being kind of picky and not easily pleased.

As long as you have reasonable expectations and recognize that a ship that spends the majority of its time in the middle of the ocean isn't going to be able to order up brand new parts to fix cracked elevator buttons, or that there may be a lightbulb out here or there (I didn't actually see any lights out but I heard complaints that there were), then you'll be perfectly happy. Some people think they should have the same ammenities they get at home just because they paid a couple thousand dollars for a trip, and forget to recognize they're using ammenities that are made for the mass market and actually can get broken or worn out sometimes. Some people will find fault in anything, and are a bit too self absorbed to appreciate how good they have it and would rather complain that a lightbulb was left in their hallway or their couch was a 1990's Aqua and let it spoil their whole cruise. The complaints I've heard from people who give the ship low ratings are along these lines in my opinion; but I am not super picky and I am thankful to have a clean ship that operates the way it's supposed to with people who are working a whole lot harder than I am all week to make sure I have food and clean sheets. I don't expedt the bathroom to be the same as my custom built one at home, and I didn't care that it was tiny or that my couch was blue or that the wood was worn from people drying their wet swimsuits on it. I found the ship to be clean, well cared for and we had an amazing time!!!

It's a great ship with a fantastic itinerary. I was just on her in July, and it's jumped to the top of my list of favorite cruises.

Search for my posts, and you can read the mini-review that I wrote, someone else was also on the same week and wrote a positive review.

I agree with Colorado Gurl. I also got off the ship on Saturday and had a fantastic cruise. Visiting 5 islands in 6 days does not allow much time for a ton of day time on board activities. I thought the crew was extremely friendly and hard working. Had My Time Dining and loved it. Dining room still offered rack of lamb so I was happy. Supervision at the pool by staff was the best I have ever seen. Yes, there are tons of kids on board but pool staff kept them in line. Stop listening to negative people, some people can never be pleased.

Adventure is a great ship. We sailed the Southern B route last March, and the Southern A route 4 years ago. The ship is in fine shape. The only difference from 4 years ago was a few updates. Touch screen information screens near the elevators, large TV screen at the pool, pool deck redone. She is to be refurbished later next year. They're supposed to add a flowrider and cabin updates and I believe more specialty restaurants.

In my opinion, much better than Radiance class ships. I hated the small centrum on the Brilliance. The Royal Promenade atmosphere on Adventure is much better.

Tom

We sailed Adventure in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and will be on her again next year. I guess we aren't worried about the "condition"....

RCCL takes good care of their ships, do you honestly think it's some floating wreck based on some internet reviews?

And a few days in PR before or after is a great idea! :)

Edited by bouhunter

I am booked on the Adventure in October and I am not concerned at all about the condition of the ship. I believe the Adventure is going into drydock sometime around October 2016

Edited by dacsmom

Well, I've only been cruising since 2012 and have been on the Adventure for a few cruises, but I can tell you I have booked 9 cruises on this ship from 11/28/2015 thru 5/7/2016 because for me personally as a smoker, this is the most smoke-friendly ship in the fleet.

You can sit outside on the patio of the Diamond Lounge and watch basketball, soccer, putt-putt and rock climbing while you're having a cocktail and enjoying the appetizers. Naturally, if you want to smoke that is OK too.

However, if you are afraid of this ship for any reason I would tell you not to book it.

Vacations are to be enjoyed - NOT FEARED !!!

You may want to find out when the Adventure goes into dry dock. You mentioned a cruise around October 2016. She will be getting refurbished around that same time.

Thank you all for the positive comments on Adventure OTS. We are not hard people to please in any way. This cruise is a gift for my son and his family. They have had a hard 3 years raising their micro preemie(1 lb.6 oz) with many medical issues some of which persist today. I just want it to be a great trip for all of us, and it sounds like it will be. Will check dry dock schedule, but would they list a cruise to,book then cancel it? Again, thanks

Thank you all for the positive comments on Adventure OTS. We are not hard people to please in any way. This cruise is a gift for my son and his family. They have had a hard 3 years raising their micro preemie(1 lb.6 oz) with many medical issues some of which persist today. I just want it to be a great trip for all of us, and it sounds like it will be. Will check dry dock schedule, but would they list a cruise to,book then cancel it? Again, thanks

No, the drydock is already scheduled.

We are sailing on adventure next april for our 20th anniversary. It will be 10 years after our first cruise on this ship. So looking forward to it and the different islands we will be going to. Just wish the airfare was cheaper to get there.

I'm going on the Adventure in a few weeks and I already have another cruise booked on her for Feb 2017. I'll probably be doing a review when I return, so I'll take plenty of pictures for you. I don't ask for much when I cruise, so I'm looking forward to having a great time.