Time zone confusion

daylooo

Hey everyone,

I've booked a stingray city tour with acquarius sea tours. I'm with RCCL's freedom of the seas and will be tendered in the cayman islands from 8-4.

The tour's meeting time is 8:45 AM CAYMAN ISLANDS time (1 hour behind my time zone??)

I'm departing from port canaveral.

So if we show up at 8 ship time this means its 7 in the cayman islands?

I'm a bit confused with the whole ship time vs island time...

thanks in advance.

SHIP'S time is all that matters. Sometimes, the Captain will change the ship's clocks to match the ports time....but sometimes, they don't.

IS your excursion thru the ship? If so...time doesn't matter at all. No worries.

If it's a private tour, you will meet your tour based on SHIP'S time, as that is the ONLY time that matters to you! You private guide is well aware of how this works!

What month are you sailing? And from what port?

In the winter, Cayman is on the same time as Miami. In the summer, Cayman is one hour behind Miami (since they don't switch to daylight savings time).

My recommendation is to follow the instructions of the tour company for arrival (meet based on the time they give you) but keep your watch set to ship's time so you don't miss the last tender back.

Assuming you are leaving from Florida, and that your ship stays on Florida time (they'll tell you on board and in the dailies) then your 8:45 Cayman time meeting will be at 9:45 ship time.

Make sure you have a watch (not cell phone) set to ship time, and know when the last tender is, to ensure you don't miss it. (Although most tour operators will know exactly when they need to have you back.)

Edited by bookbabe

Cayman is eastern time zone

but does NOT observe daylight savings time . . .

... yet.

Cayman is set to introduce DST next year. *

Clock ticks toward Daylight Saving Time in Cayman

Government has decided to move ahead with plans to introduce Daylight Saving Time (DST) to the Cayman Islands. Premier Hon. Alden McLaughlin said they’re looking to do so by March 2016.

* Island time, mon. Island time.

We believe, as does the business community and those who support the implementation, that the benefits are clear, Madam Speaker, including elimination of confusion over travel times, putting our financial industry in sync with New York, and putting an end to early arrivals and departures of cruise ships, benefitting stores, restaurants, taxis, tour operators and many more small businesses.

the logic is clear . . .