Why cant CCL sail from NYC during winter months?

Vitamin_Sea

I don't think they were selling out the Splendor.

Made more sense to move her to Miami.

Living in New England my entire life (groan), I kind of get it.

I personally wouldn't want to sail out of NYC in the dead of winter.

You will freeze the first two days going down, and the last two days coming back.

That is not an enjoyable cruise to me.

I'd rather sail out of Miami/Florida.:D:D

Sure, spending an extra 500-1000 bucks on flights will take you to warm weather. Then going a day early and paying a hotel. screw all that.

I would rather just take a taxi to the port and have 2 1/2 days of cold weather outside of the ship :) much better value for me to have the ship take me to warm weather,

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

Sure, spending an extra 500-1000 bucks on flights will take you to warm weather.

I would rather just take a taxi to the port and have 2 1/2 days of cold weather outside of the ship :) much better value for me to have the ship take me to warm weather,

Yeah...but as I said...last winter there were many days when you couldn't "just take a taxi" (of course, you couldn't have just taken a taxi to the airport either).

The cruise out of NYC is a good value...as far as "the cruise"...but it won't be sunbathing weather.

The cruiseline can afford to lower the rates because indoors means more money from other activities (drinks, gambling etc).

Yeah...but as I said...last winter there were many days when you couldn't "just take a taxi" (of course, you couldn't have just taken a taxi to the airport either).

The cruise out of NYC is a good value...as far as "the cruise"...but it won't be sunbathing weather.

The cruiseline can afford to lower the rates because indoors means more money from other activities (drinks, gambling etc).

Yes, Its a good value for the tri-state folks.

People that would rather keep expenses down.

Probably because their newer ships perform better financially sailing out of Florida.

NYC should have a newer class ship though to compete with NCL Breakaway and RCCL Anthem

Splendor was not to old though. SMH

CCL mostly uses the old Fantasy ship in FLA i see

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

NYC should have a newer class ship though to compete with NCL Breakaway and RCCL Anthem

Splendor was not to old though. SMH

CCL mostly uses the old Fantasy ship in FLA i see

Carnival does have a fair number of the Fantasy class ships sailing from Florida but in just doing a quick search of the Florida departures for this coming December I see Conquest, Glory, Valor, Breeze, Sunshine, Splendor, etc. so there are quite a few newer (much newer than Fantasy class), larger ships sailing from Florida.

Edited by joepeka

Why would someone traveling for a cruise want to fly to cold NY when they can fly into warm FL? I would never want to go north for a cruise during winter.

Because quite a number of us who cruise out of NYC do NOT fly to cruise - we just drive into the city.

I would absolutely cruise of NYC in the winter. I don't want to get on a plane to fly to somewhere to get on a ship. If I'm getting on a plane, I'm going somewhere to stay.

I would love a longer cruise out of NYC in the winter - one that went further south into the Caribbean. I could deal with a few cold days on the ship. There are always things to do.

Too many icebergs in New York Harbor? Too darn cold to sail from NY.

Icebergs in NY harbor - seriously??? I live here - we don't get icebergs. Sometimes if it's really cold for a long time, you will see ice north of the Tappan Zee Bridge - but NY harbor is used for all kinds of shipping - all winter long.

I've sailed out of NYC twice in the winter and am doing it again this October. It's a great port within driving distance for tens of millions of people with some of the highest incomes in the nation. Carnival can't compete there unless they put a ship there that can compete with the Breakaway or Anthem. They currently don't have a ship like that. The Vista class will be close, but it doesn't sound like they are planning on putting either one in NYC year round.

I've sailed out of NYC twice in the winter and am doing it again this October. It's a great port within driving distance for tens of millions of people with some of the highest incomes in the nation. Carnival can't compete there unless they put a ship there that can compete with the Breakaway or Anthem. They currently don't have a ship like that. The Vista class will be close, but it doesn't sound like they are planning on putting either one in NYC year round.

They are basically conceding that market to their competitors

My guess is it comes down to profit margin. Carnival should cruise out of whatever ports have the highest margins. But I don't think it's anything against NYC. But I do get the frustration for people up north. That's why ya'll should move down south.

It is about money. :) the 1 1/2 years ago they did sail year round, had, give away fares between Nov- Mar. REAL easy to get $399 AND under, most any week.

Sure people are claiming "but other lines sail in the winter", they have the market, and believe me, they have plenty of off weeks of low prices. But that number of cruise ships, must be sustainable. Add another ship with 2000+ passengers, on a lacking ship, over saturated. I absolutely see why they pulled out.

Many Folks from the Tri-state area would like to.

RCCL and NCL have no problem filling the demand SMH

But the problem is, can cruises really sell out with just locals? I'm guessing that they need to rely on people flying in from other locations, and who really wants to fly into NY in January?

But the problem is, can cruises really sell out with just locals? I'm guessing that they need to rely on people flying in from other locations, and who really wants to fly into NY in January?

The local population is huge though. Flying anywhere is a crapshoot in the winter. The cruises I have taken from NYC in the winter were booked to capacity, and mostly local cruisers. I also noticed quite a few international travelers. The lines running out of NYC offer newer destination ships with tons to do on those cold days, or they offer longer cruises. These seem to be things that Carnival shys away from.

I think RCCL and NCL both pushed Carnival out, both dominate the Bermuda market. One sails to the Bahamas the other does long Caribbean cruises. A smaller ship like a Spirit Class ship could probably work, as seen before but new ships is what is being pushed.

Just my two cents is all. :)

Nobody sails to Bermuda in the winter..... They tried sailing the winter with Splendor, it sailed non full and highly discounted. Too long to get to warm weather. I would not even sail from Baltimore in the winter. I think it little to zero to do with product. Carnival sails from New York seasonally, which imho is what it should be. NCL pushed nobody out, including Carnival. QOTS and AOTS are a different product....where else can you spend $14.50 on a pina colada.

Edited by jimbo5544

Hi KPfromCT :)

I agree. The 1st two days & last 2 days are a lil rough.

Here is the Splendor in New York in the thick of winter.

1s_zps9c009c50.jpg

:eek:

Pretty enticing picture. There was another somebody posted from the Pride in Baltimore and the cabin steward shoveling snow off the balconies.

Have sailed many times out of nyc in the winter for the convenience. Even sailed out through a blizzard where getting out of an airport would be impossible.

I don't want to deal with expensive flights and possible flight cancellations/delays during the winter so I will continue taking cruises out of nyc during the winter to get any warm days I can. I have taken Carnival, Royal and Ncl during the winter and enjoyed them all.

The Royal Quantum class were built for the cold weather and had a very well insulated pool with a retractable roof and a huge indoor solarium so there was plenty of indoor lounging space in the cold weather. The Splendor covered pool was not well insulated and not really usable during the cold weather days so there is something to be said for a newer ship.

I love sailing on Carnival, but they lose my business during the winter by avoiding the New York market, but obviously financially it works for them sailing elsewhere.

My guess is it comes down to profit margin. Carnival should cruise out of whatever ports have the highest margins. But I don't think it's anything against NYC. But I do get the frustration for people up north. That's why ya'll should move down south.

No, please don't.

Have sailed many times out of nyc in the winter for the convenience. Even sailed out through a blizzard where getting out of an airport would be impossible.

I don't want to deal with expensive flights and possible flight cancellations/delays during the winter so I will continue taking cruises out of nyc during the winter to get any warm days I can. I have taken Carnival, Royal and Ncl during the winter and enjoyed them all.

The Royal Quantum class were built for the cold weather and had a very well insulated pool with a retractable roof and a huge indoor solarium so there was plenty of indoor lounging space in the cold weather. The Splendor covered pool was not well insulated and not really usable during the cold weather days so there is something to be said for a newer ship.

I love sailing on Carnival, but they lose my business during the winter by avoiding the New York market, but obviously financially it works for them sailing elsewhere.

I agree with you. I will wait for price drops and book the other lines.

The heck with flights, hotels and all the hassle,