Was this a decent deal?

KCcruzor

Having never cruised before, I was curious whether our 4-night Carnival cruise to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas this coming November was a decent price.

It was sort of a last minute decision, after considering taking a vacation to Las Vegas or San Antonio. We pulled the trigger after seeing a $249/person deal on the Carnival website for an ocean view cabin. We likely would have researched a bit more, but the offer expired on July 31, and it seemed reasonable.

What do you think? Poor deal, average deal, or great deal? We purchased approximately 3 months prior to the cruise (~100 days). I've heard the best deals are during so-called "wave week" in January-February, but how much better is the pricing then?

Thanks in advance!

the only one who can answer that is YOU.

don't obsess over whether or not the price changes up or down. you obviously felt it was affordable, else you would not have pulled the trigger.

by my calculations you are paying just about $65 a night per person( rounded up for taxes and port fees).

my 3 day weekend trip to Fredericksburg TX in October is running over $600 JUST for the room. no meals.

IMO I think it's a very reasonable price. Since this is your first cruise don't focus on the price too much. People try so hard to chase the cheapest price and that's really hard. No different then airfares or hotel prices. Prices can vary and in some cases radically. After you first cruise and you decide you want to take another cruise well then spend more time searching out prices. But as long as the price is within your travel budget and you can afford it - go and have fun.

Having never cruised before, I was curious whether our 4-night Carnival cruise to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas this coming November was a decent price.

It was sort of a last minute decision, after considering taking a vacation to Las Vegas or San Antonio. We pulled the trigger after seeing a $249/person deal on the Carnival website for an ocean view cabin. We likely would have researched a bit more, but the offer expired on July 31, and it seemed reasonable.

What do you think? Poor deal, average deal, or great deal? We purchased approximately 3 months prior to the cruise (~100 days). I've heard the best deals are during so-called "wave week" in January-February, but how much better is the pricing then?

Thanks in advance!

You get what you pay for. Carnival works for some folks for a variety of reasons. Others wouldn't step foot on Carnival even if it was free. It's really a matter of personal preference.

That said, IMO, you are making a rookie mistake by focusing on cabin price.

Without going into great detail, a better measure of true cost is the "daily inclusive rate," I.e., all of your projected expenses (including all the nickel/diming items for which a line like Carnival will charge extra including certain beverages, specialty restaurants, etc) divided by the number if cruise days.

The best example of this is a comparison of mass market and premium cruise lines where the cabin price difference scares some folks away. If you're headed to Europe, just the included airfare with one premium cruise line can easily wipe out that cabin cost difference on the other "cheaper" line.

The other part of this equation is what you get for that "el cheapo" cruise line deal that you don't want: mediocre food, hordes of passengers, the aforementioned nickel/diming, liberal smoking policies, incessant PA announcements, art auctions, PITA photogs, sadly - a lot of very rude people, limited amenities, overly high passenger to crew ratios, ....the list goes on.

So, bottom line: you paid next to nothing for a cruise. It will be interesting to see what you think about your experience afterwards. It is that item that will determine if you got a great deal.

You will probably spend a bit more on board on any mass market line, but those charges are controllable by you. $65 per person per day for an outside seems like a pretty good deal. We try for about $100 for a balcony, and feel fortunate when we get. You made the right decision - when you see a deal that you like, go for it; if you habitually keep hoping for a better one, the odds are that you will wind up paying more, or else just not going.

Thanks in advance!

You got a decent price. Does that include port fees and taxes? You'll also have to allow for the daily automatic gratuities of $12.95 per day per person.

I have a 7 day cruise on Carnival Freedom beginning on November 28, just 104 days away. It was $57 pp pd before fees and taxes. I feel I got a great deal. In fact, I booked the next 2 weeks as well for just a bit more per day.

The 3 weeks after Thanksgiving and before Christmas are a pretty slow period for cruising. Prices are soft because demand is low. Everyone with kids wants the holiday weeks so the kids don't miss too much school.

I suppose the same forces are at work for the January-February period, except the northerners have been freezing for 3 months and need some Caribbean sun, that adds some market potential.

A previous post mentioned short cruises as having a reputation for being "party boats". I've never been on a 4-day cruise, but at this time of year you're more likely to have bargain hunters than binge drinkers.

Enjoy the cruise and if you have a good time, ask about the onboard booking bonus for your next cruise.

Most cruises are a great vacation, and the price you got makes that one of them.

4 night cruises often only have one port. You have two, so even better.

We live close to Galveston and have benefited from the pricing on 4-5 night sailings aboard the Ecstasy and Triumph. When compared to a driving vacation on the river in San Antonio a cruise wins every time, even with taxes, port charges and parking costs.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by BallFour4

Don,

Being my first cruise, and never really in the market for a cruise before, I was simply wondering how my particular cruise stacked up with historical pricing. Sort of a data point if I were to ever cruise again in the near future.