Dogs on the ship

heron45

I do not want to get into the VA conversation, I agree with you on that one.

On your point.. What if the girl I met was paralyzed due to a hit and run accident? The VA would be of no help...

I personally watched as a subway train conductor refused to move the train because a young woman got on with a pitbull. He demanded to see her paperwork. Her reply was that she does not carry it around because he should not be asking. Over 5 minutes delay later he still would not budge. The girl was left on the platform, crying.. I am sure she will take another train and be ok, but the guy was completely wrong.. I do wonder if his reaction was the same if she was accompanied by Lassie and not the most vilified dog breed but I digress.

A doctor's note is something a lot of people could hypothetically get via a relative or a close friend... So.... If say the whole certification process was uniformed and free, anyone could train their dog and just get certified. However, since nothing i really free, it isn't a resolution. ;)

One of my cruises had a group of people with service dogs on it. There were several boxes set up at the forward end of the Promenade Deck. They were about 4 feet square and had an astroturf top section that drained to an absorbent lower section. I have since seen the boxes on other cruises.

The funny thing about that first cruise was that during the stop at Half Moon Cay, some of the other passengers were complaining that the dogs swimming in the ocean somehow contaminated the water. They were quite loud in their complaints at the front desk, and to anyone else who looked as though they may listen.

What sort of people complain about service dogs? Give me the dogs any day, and throw those small-minded selfish clods overboard.

The funny thing about that first cruise was that during the stop at Half Moon Cay, some of the other passengers were complaining that the dogs swimming in the ocean somehow contaminated the water. They were quite loud in their complaints at the front desk, and to anyone else who looked as though they may listen.

Meanwhile the fishes are doing all their business in the ocean. ;)

That was my first thought, too. WC Fields said "I never drink water. Fish [xverbx] in water."

There are several variations of the verb when this line is quoted, but I think all of them would be blanked out by CC so I saved them the trouble.

Here's an article from USA Today.

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-buzz/2013/09/05/cruise-ship-service-dogs/2770323/

We've been doing on cruises with blind passengers who had seeing eye dogs. The dogs were always well behaved. We were also on a cruise with some people who were training Labrador Retrievers for guide dog duty. Always check with the owner to make sure that the dog is "not working" before you try to socialize.

I've never seen a poorly behaved guide dog - ever. It's the people who slap a vest on their poorly trained pooch so that they can take the dog on vacation that cause the problems. Sadly, no one's ever decided to fix the loophole in the Americans with Disabilities Act

http://www.federalwaymirror.com/news/147080865.html

You have hit the nail on the head..My dog, a therapy dog, & I have worked in the Hospital with people who have trained Service dogs.. They were fantastic! One of the ladies & her DH who work with us, actually trains service dogs for the blind... She has taken her "Puppy in training" on several cruises over the past 10 years.. Service dogs do not bark, always evacuate in a designated area, sleep on the floor in the MDR & other venues at the trainer's feet...These dogs are more delightful than some of the Psgrs..

I would never take my Therapy Dog on flights or cruises, where she is not permitted, but unfortunately I've seen others do it. That gives our organization a black eye :mad:

The answer to this particular loophole is for the VA to do more in support of veteran's service dogs and certify or register them. (And yes, there's a lot the VA could do, but please don't let's drift into a political discussion)

I followed the link you posted, and I find it appalling that anyone would cheat like that. But people do, unfortunately, and that's why someone needs to look at the interpretation of the ADA act. Maybe there are places where someone can/should ask. NOT Miss Nosy Me on the Street, and definitely NOT an employer, because job discrimination is one of the big things the ADA law protects against. But a place that does not normally allow dogs, like a cruise ship or an airline, should be able to ask why someone has a dog. Maybe there should be prescriptions, like the doctor's letter the article mentioned in reference to Canadian laws.

I'm very familiar with the ADA Act as we often carried "Service Dogs" on our flights.. As POA mentioned in the above quoted post, there is a "loophole in the ADA Act.. The Cruise line, Airlines or business is are NOT Permitted to ask what the person's disability is.. However they may ask what the dog is trained to do..

Over the past 15 years, we have many times encountered Service Dogs on our cruises & once encountered a suspicious one.. I would have bet my last dollar that it was not a certified Service Dog..;)

Edited by serendipity1499

Those complaining about the dogs swimming obviously haven't walked further down the beach and watched the horses dropping road apples on the beach and in the water! :)

You have hit the nail on the head..My dog, a therapy dog, & I have worked in the Hospital with people who have trained Service dogs.. They were fantastic! One of the ladies & her DH who work with us, actually trains service dogs for the blind... She has taken her "Puppy in training" on several cruises over the past 10 years.. Service dogs do not bark, always evacuate in a designated area, sleep on the floor in the MDR & other venues at the trainer's feet...These dogs are more delightful than some of the Psgrs..

I would never take my Therapy Dog on flights or cruises, where she is not permitted, but unfortunately I've seen others do it. That gives our organization a black eye :mad:

I'm very familiar with the ADA Act as we often carried "Service Dogs" on our flights.. As POA mentioned in the above quoted post, there is a "loophole in the ADA Act.. The Cruise line, Airlines or business is are NOT Permitted to ask what the person's disability is.. However they may ask what the dog is trained to do..

Over the past 15 years, we have many times encountered Service Dogs on our cruises & once encountered a suspicious one.. I would have bet my last dollar that it was not a certified Service Dog..;)

I agree wholeheartedly. My little dog was a Therapy Dog (certified!) in my local hospice. I would never attempt to pass her off as a Service Dog on a cruise. But I would bet one so-called Service Dog on a 45-day Maasdam voyage a couple of years back was NOT a Service Dog. And I've seen several who were legit.

Have sailed several times with true service dogs - and they were incredibly well behaved, acted appropriately in the dining room, show lounge, bar area, etc. Once their little jacket was off, the crew would play with them - with huge grins. Once sailed on a ship where the captain had his Jack Russell on board and he had crew 'walk' the dog to a special area in the bow several times a day.

But then there was the flamboyant lady with her 2 little schnauzers. She did not control them - or anything about them. When they did their business in the hallway after also using the pier right next to the ship and she did nothing - I went to the front desk. Was told they were her therapy dogs complete with MD's orders and they were aware they were creating problems. HAL cannot ask why she needs them as long as her paperwork is in order. But promised they would speak with her - but considering she was in the president suite I often wondered if they did.

There was a lady with a therapy dog on our transatlantic cruise last year. She would literally push him/her right into people's faces for them to pet her. Very nasty. True service dogs, I can understand. But, in my very own humble opinion, if you are that bad off, you and your therapy animal should both stay off the ship!

I just got back from Alaska on the Statendam and noticed at least 3 "service dogs" on the ship. I don't think I have ever seen dogs on the ship before. Just wondered if this is more common now and how others felt about it. I'm not much of a fan of sitting next to a dog in the MDR.

There was a thread about "service dogs" awhile back, on the Statendam, I believe...same ship I also just returned from. I saw 4 dogs, only one I believed was truly a service dog. It always wore its vest and a muzzle, even ashore. The others, well, I observed a woman cuddling hers in the Crows Nest for scenic cruising...no vest, same for another that went on a shore excursion out of Seward. One evening a woman had her dog in the first row of the balcony for a show...no vest. People were petting the dog after the show. I did see one being walked on the promenade...no vest.

Whether the dogs were legal or not, they never created a disturbance.

Karen

I know that people are not permitted to ask. That's what the fakers hide behind. When you ask what the dog is trained to do, how detailed must the answer be? Is "He's my therapy dog" an acceptable answer? Can you go on and ask "How does he help you?" or is that too close to asking what the person's disability is?

Businesses are allowed to ask 2 questions. Is this a service dog? What task is the dog trained to perform to mitigate your disability? If the dog is toileting inappropriately or acting aggressive toward people or is not properly groomed a business may ask them to leave. They are not allowed to ask for any proof that the dog is a service dog and the dog does not have to were anything to identify it as a service dog. Notes from doctors and getting "certified" has nothing to do with having a service dog.

Mary, Newmar and Cranberry

I sometimes cruise with a microbiologist friend. She doesn't like to get in the ocean because of "whale poo". :D

Given all of the ocean life doing their business in the water, the service dogs would have less than minimal impact. For all we know, those loudly complaining louts could have been relieving themselves in the water. :rolleyes:

I find that hard to believe. Cats have service humans, not the other way around.

Tell me about it....I am servant to three house cats and one outdoor cat. My "cat" name is Food. :D

Actually there really was a service cat on a HAL cruise. His name was Morgan. I believe it was something like five to six years ago. Some special breed like a Savannah but I don't know that for sure.

There was a lady with a therapy dog on our transatlantic cruise last year. She would literally push him/her right into people's faces for them to pet her. Very nasty. True service dogs, I can understand. But, in my very own humble opinion, if you are that bad off, you and your therapy animal should both stay off the ship!

Therapy Animals are NOT permitted on ships...How do you know this was a Therapy Dog & not a "Service dog" They are NOT the same!.. Only Certified Service Animals are permitted on ships & as another poster mentioned, they are not required to wear a vest identifying them as Service animals.. My dog sometimes wears her "Therapy Dog Vest" or a scarf with her name on it when we visit the Hospital or school.. She is NOT a Service Dogt & I don't try to pass her off as one! When waiting for the others, if someone wants to pet her I always tell them it is OK..

I know that people are not permitted to ask. That's what the fakers hide behind. When you ask what the dog is trained to do, how detailed must the answer be? Is "He's my therapy dog" an acceptable answer? Can you go on and ask "How does he help you?" or is that too close to asking what the person's disability is?

No He's a therapy dog is not an answer since Therapy Dogs are NOT permitted on cruise ships...Please don't confuse the two.. Not all dogs who assist people are considered service dogs...Some of them are actually only Therapy Dogs.. Therapy dogs can provide a great deal of emotional support, but unless they have that specific service dog training, they do not meet the requirements of the ADA. Therefore, they may not rely on the ADA law & are not allowed in public places..

Only Service Animals are permitted on ships...You can only ask what is your Animal trained to do... Not how does he help you?

Most people who have Service Dogs do put vests on them, as that is the signal to others not to touch the dog as they are working.. My Friend always puts The "Service Dog in Training" vests on her puppies, when she is training them..

My dog wears her "Therapy Dog Vest" when we go to the Hospital or school where Therapy Dogs are allowed & people can pet them. When you see a dog with a vest be observant & ASK if he/she is a working dog. which CANNOT be touched. when working..

Edited by serendipity1499

I would rather sit next to a dog than some of the rude tablemates I've been stuck with before.

AMEN!! Not to mention some of the bratty youngsters that people bring into the MDR.

I am very involved with various dog rescues and am familiar with how service dogs are trained. A service dog is never fed in a restaurant. That dog is "working" and will be sitting nicely beside the chair or laying on the floor. Someone who truly needs a service dog goes through rigorous training with that dog; and of course, that dog has already been through a very long training period.

Unfortunately, I have also known a woman who had her dog "certified" on-line as a service dog so she could take that dog everywhere with her. That dog was a pet and no more a service dog than my beloved border collie. It really irked me!

I have experienced this situation and humbly that does not bother me. (For the blinds, epileptic or deaf people / No therapy dogs)

Some passengers are more "dangerous" and parasite-carrying vectors. For example those that I see come out of the bathroom and do not take the time to wash their hands. I saw it too!

Holacanada from Quebec city

Edited by holacanada

OK, I'll bite (so to speak).

I have had the pleasure of being around a lot of wonderful service dogs.

Once at the Embassy Suites, I saw a man with a "service dog" who obviously was not a service dog. He was going on a cruise and I was grateful it was not ours. The dog was totally out of control.

Real service dogs are a pleasure. They are a boon to those that have them and very helpful. They are very well behaved and when they are "working" nothing distracts them.

While my own Kazu is not certified so to speak, he raised a lot of money for the SPCA being perfectly still while he was patted in public places (other than the wagging tail) and never moved for hours. BUT I would never dream of taking him on a cruise. Nor my other dogs. They have their own spot they go to when we go away and have a great life with horses, acreage, walks and life is good for them.

No dog belongs on a cruise unless it is truly certified, has gone through the rigorous training and is prepared for it. The owners who "cheat" are not doing their dogs any favours. They are stressing them out IMO.

Ok, dog lover and off my soap box :)

We sailed a few times with service dogs. One was outstanding and a great aide for a blind person. The other animal was filthy dirty, ill treated and my DH and I wanted to badly to 'rescue' that dog from its owners. It broke our hearts to witness the neglect. Obviously, there was nothing we could do aboard a ship registered in another country and no notion of what agency would be appropriate.

We were on a cruise with a service cat a few years ago (November 2009, I think), Oosterdam Panama Canal Cruise. The owner asked other passengers not to pet or otherwise approach the cat without permission. Not sure what the cat did, but it was obviously a true service animal and very well behaved.

A friend's daughter had a small dog with some training as a therapy dog and was also a emotional support dog for its owner, definitely not a service dog. Apparently the owner carried a letter from her Dr. and insisted on entering grocery stores and other food establishments with the dog. Not sure she understood that emotional support dogs do not have the same privileges as true service dogs. She did buy the dog a "service dog" vest. I'm convinced that at least half of the dogs with vests are bogus service dogs. Though there is a legitimate reason for true service dogs to have something to identify them, I think the vests are more often used so that dogs can be brought where they don't belong without questions being asked.